Charts disappear within Workspace after reboot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charts disappear within Workspace after reboot

I've had this issue for a couple beta releases, but I've put off saying anything assuming it would be corrected. I updated to beta 7 yesterday and I'm still seeing it.

Every morning I lose many of my charts within my workspace after I shutdown and reboot. I always save my workspace when closing (as well as saving while NT is open).

As you can imagine, it's pretty annoying to have to resetup your charts each morning!

I do have multiple custom indicators, drawing tools, and bar types.

From my experience with NT, I'm assuming it has to do with some kind of xml issue/exception that is handled by dropping the chart completely (but not actually outputting any error message).

Unfortunately, I'm not seeing anything in the trace or log files.

Is there something I should look for that would point to what is going on?

Thanks!

Hi neoikon,

To begin to narrow down what it could be, do you see this same behavior if you undergo the same process that causes your charts to disappear on a workspace with no custom indicators, drawing tools, and bar types applied?
    <span class="name">Alex C.</span><span class="title">NinjaTrader Customer Service</span><iframe name="sig" id="sigFrame" src="/support/forum/core/clientscript/Signature/signature.php" frameborder="0" border="0" cellspacing="0" style="border-style: none;width: 100%; height: 120px;"></iframe>

Comment

Originally posted by neoikon View Post
      I've had this issue for a couple beta releases, but I've put off saying anything assuming it would be corrected. I updated to beta 7 yesterday and I'm still seeing it.

Every morning I lose many of my charts within my workspace after I shutdown and reboot. I always save my workspace when closing (as well as saving while NT is open).

As you can imagine, it's pretty annoying to have to resetup your charts each morning!

I do have multiple custom indicators, drawing tools, and bar types.

From my experience with NT, I'm assuming it has to do with some kind of xml issue/exception that is handled by dropping the chart completely (but not actually outputting any error message).

Unfortunately, I'm not seeing anything in the trace or log files.

Is there something I should look for that would point to what is going on?

Thanks!
      Exactly how do you shut down NinjaTrader?

By chance, are you right clicking on the Windows Taskbar Icon and selecting "Close All Windows"?

MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Matthew View Post
        Exactly how do you shut down NinjaTrader?

By chance, are you right clicking on the Windows Taskbar Icon and selecting "Close All Windows"?

Good thinking, but no, I'm closing the Main NT window, it then asks to save the workspace, I always click yes (or Yes to All). I also only use one workspace.

I also have some charts with multiple tabbed charts on them. Sometimes these individual tabs will disappear as well.

(As an aside, it would be nice to drag a tab from one window to another, similar to how you can move Chrome browser windows around.)

I believe that one of my custom drawing tools is causing the issue. If I put multiple tabbed charts on a single window, then use my tool on one of the windows, any tabs to the right of that tab are lost.

To me, this implies an issue is created within an xml file, so when the window is re-rendered, any new tabs created after the tab with the issue are corrupted, skipped, or never saved to begin with.

So, I saved my workspace, made a copy of the xml file, added one instance of my drawing tool to a chart, re-saved the workspace, then did a comparison of the workspace xml files, and the entire NTTabPage is missing! So, that explains why it's gone.

As expected, if I delete the instance of my drawing tool, re-save the workspace, then re-inspect the xml file, the NTTabPage is correctly saved.

So, it seems the chart is not getting saved at all, versus it saving corrupt data, then the re-load process ignoring the corrupted data.

I know it's a difficult question, but any ideas on what would cause this?

Thanks!

Comment

Not off the top of my head.

If you attached NinjaTrader.exe to a debugger, are there any exceptions thrown from your code or external code?

If there are any errors or exceptions that point us in the right direction. Otherwise, we'd need to be able to reproduce to help solve this problem and understand why the xml files are not being saved. Please feel free to send us any scripts or workspaces to platformsupport [at] ninjatrader[dot]com and we can investigate.
          MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

I just want to give an update/solution in case anyone else runs into a similar problem (including my future self!). Especially, since no actual error is outputted anywhere.

It seems I wasn't defining my Brush input param properly, leaving off an [XmlIgnore] decoration.

Thus, when NinjaTrader was saving the state of the charts and indicators to its workspace XML files, it was breaking along the way (dropping my chart altogether) due to the issue above.

Another sign was I wasn't able to save "default settings" for this indicator (it actually did throw an error, in this situation). Which also makes sense, given the above.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by geotrades1, Today, 10:02 AM
            1 response
            0 likes
            Last Post NinjaTrader_BrandonH  
            Started by ender_wiggum, Today, 09:50 AM
            1 response
            0 likes
            Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby