Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

B7 and B6 - Data Issues after resuming from StandBy mode

Hello,

I have seen that behavior in NTB6 -- now seeing it in B7.

Last 50 bars (or more) get date/time on time scale value of the date/time when NT8 was opened.

I tried reloading historical data, restarting NT8 - but still see data on time scale incorrect (see attached screenshot).

It usually happens if I am connected to Gain Capital (with backup for historical data from NinjaTrader servers), then I put PC to stand by mode, and then re-opening it from stand by mode 10 hours or even few days later.

It looks like it happens with certain templates and has slightly different behavior with other templates. Is there a function to reset chart default template? Or delete all chart templates?

p.s. Restarting NT few times, re-opening charts, changing chart types didn't help. Eventually - restarting PC did help to normalize everything back to normal.

Thanks
    Attached Files
    Last edited by music_p13; 12-21-2015, 11:20 PM.

Hello music_p13,

This is not a bug with NinjaTrader 7 or 8 but a limitation of how NinjaTrader works.

NinjaTrader behaves like a radio receiver in that it receives signals from the connected server. If the signals are not coming through, the underlying broker/market data vendor API reports this to the NinjaTrader application which in turn reports this back to you.

If your computer is allowed to sleep or hibernate, if NinjaTrader is shutdown, or if your internet connection is lost, these signals cannot be received and the data will be missing from your chart.

This is the case with both NinjaTrader 7 and NinjaTrader 8.

If you prevent your computer from sleeping does this prevent the issue?

To correct the issue, you will need to delete all of your historical data and redownload this. You can do this in the Tools -> Historical Data window.
    http://ninjatrader.com/support/helpG...ta_manager.htm
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello again,

I understand that signal is not received when NT is shutdown etc...

The issue is if you look at the screenshot (open NT and do Ctr+Shift+R to reload historical data) - you can see the "21:58" date-time stamp 9 times on the time scale. If you point mouse cursor to bars - again - on time scale it shows 21:58 which is incorrect.

It doesn't happen on NT7. Also completely restarting PC fixed the issue.

Also, when examining manually historical data it seems totally fine - do I really need to delete all my historical tick data?

Thanks
      Last edited by music_p13; 12-23-2015, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Actually, I tried removing last 3 days of tick data, then restarting NT, then reloading historical data - and it didn't fix the problem. I even restarted PC again - that didn't fix the problem either.

I tried now on the same chart loading different instruments (USDCAD and then USDJPY) even though I didn't use those instruments when PC went to stand-by - but observing same corrupted time scale when changing instrument on the same chart (see new screenshot attached). What is even more strange - when pointing with cursor I see time 21:39:05 which is between 21:36 and 21:36 on the scale bar. Even tried instrument USDCHF in newly saved empty workspace with new empty default chart template - and got same issue.

Previously, to fix the issue, I first removed all indicators, then tried using different templates, tried different chart type (tick candlesticks, range bars), tried different instruments (I even got same issue on USDCAD not just EURUSD), but finally restarting PC magically fixed it.

Can this be entered as a bug? It doesn't happen on NT7.

It does happen only when PC goes to sleep. So at the moment - I don't even know how to fix that issue - do I really have to delete years of tick data every time when trying to resolve the issue?

I have also created screen-cast video to show the data in databox as I scroll through time scale (note - the time in databox stays constant at 22:19:19:045 which happens to be the last timestamp in my historical data for EURUSD) - see additional screenshot..

Free online storage and sharing with Screencast.com. 2 GB of storage and 2 GB of bandwidth per month for free. We won't compress, alter or take ownership of your content.

Thanks
        Attached Files
        Last edited by music_p13; 12-24-2015, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Hello music_p13,

Just to confirm, the issue is that when NinjaTrader 8 is running and the computer is allowed to sleep, when the computer wakes up there is missing data on your chart. Is this correct?

Also, I am seeing the screenshot where the time of the cursor appears to be out of sync with the time stamps on the chart.

I do want to re-iterate, that NinjaTrader will not function properly when your computer is allowed to sleep or hybernate.

If you must allow your computer to sleep, shutdown NinjaTrader when you have finished with your use before the computer is allowed to sleep.

Otherwise I would suggest disabling the sleep on your system.

Are you able to reproduce the issue without allowing your computer to sleep?

May I confirm if removing the data and reloading the chart did not correct the issue?

If you are not wanting to remove all of the data, remove at least from before where there is any missing data.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB View Post
            Hello music_p13,

Just to confirm, the issue is that when NinjaTrader 8 is running and the computer is allowed to sleep, when the computer wakes up there is missing data on your chart. Is this correct?

- Yes, After that I try reloading historical data from chart by using Ctr+Shift+R

Also, I am seeing the screenshot where the time of the cursor appears to be out of sync with the time stamps on the chart.

I do want to re-iterate, that NinjaTrader will not function properly when your computer is allowed to sleep or hybernate.

If you must allow your computer to sleep, shutdown NinjaTrader when you have finished with your use before the computer is allowed to sleep.

OK, if this is a limitation - I will have to make sure to disconnect live connection manually before putting my laptop on standby (or do I really have to shut-down NinjaTrader)?

Otherwise I would suggest disabling the sleep on your system.

Are you able to reproduce the issue without allowing your computer to sleep?

No, it only happens when computer goes to sleep

May I confirm if removing the data and reloading the chart did not correct the issue?

If you are not wanting to remove all of the data, remove at least from before where there is any missing data.

For some reason yesterday it didn't work for me, but was able to remove couple of days of data, then restart NT, reload data and it fixed the issue
            Still my main issue if that time axis never goes out of sync in NT7 - while it does in NT8. Understand there is some limitation the moment with NT8. I will try to disconnect live connection manually before going on standby mode - hope it will be sufficient to avoid the issue - or do I really have to shut-down NT8 before standby every time?

Also, PC can go out of power and go on standby by itself - so the issue might re-occur...
            If you don't consider it as bug - maybe enter it as enhancement request...

Thanks

Comment

Hello music_p13,

I am suggesting that you disable the sleep and hibernation ability on this computer.

As far a feature request, I can add a request for NinjaTrader to detect that the computer has exited from sleep and remove recent historical data and then redownload this automatically if you would like. It is up to the NinjaTrader development department to decide if any request will be implemented in a future version and if so, when.

As far as the crosshairs showing the incorrect time in context with the times appearing on the x-axis, I am looking further into this to submit a bug report if necessary. However, I am currently unable to reproduce this.
              Is this also only happening when your computer is allowed to sleep?
              Last edited by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB; 12-24-2015, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB View Post
                Hello music_p13,

I am suggesting that you disable the sleep and hibernation ability on this computer.

I was putting PC on standby for convenience purpose - for example - Working on some strategy development code/backtesting (maybe trading live in parallel and leaving positions open), then putting it on standby, re-opening it later without having to restart NT - especially because in Beta 6 there was a bug that if I don't have live internet connection - NinjaTrader would crash because of license error - I think that has been fixed in B7

As far a feature request, I can add a request for NinjaTrader to detect that the computer has exited from sleep and remove recent historical data and then redownload this automatically if you would like. It is up to the NinjaTrader development department to decide if any request will be implemented in a future version and if so, when.

That doesn't really concern me - I can do manually re-download data... What concerns me is that sometimes time axis is messed up and shows same time for different bars. In fact it shows usually date stamp from the last tick event in historical data for multiple bars. In some cases (today) it actually skipped the data completely after 17:00 est and resumed painting at 12 AM est although that data was there in historical data... that behavior was seen for the first time in B7

As far as the crosshairs showing the incorrect time in context with the times appearing on the x-axis, I am looking further into this to submit a bug report if necessary. However, I am currently unable to reproduce this.
                Is this also only happening when your computer is allowed to sleep?
                Yes, it only occurs when computer goes to sleep mode on tick data only (doesn't happen on minute bars). You might even consider put it to sleep more than once for few hours each time
                Hopefully that time out of sync display can be fixed... My feeling is it is taking last timestamp from historical data and uses it for the rest of the bars to the right until it gets new tick events.

Thanks

Comment

Hello again, Happy New Year!

I got the same issue again and cannot get rid of it.

I did remove all data for the instrument, re-downloaded data but still have that issue. Also - I didn't let my PC go to standby mode.

Can this be entered as a bug?

All my tick bars show on the Type scale time of 23:49:42

Data downloaded seems right, and usually the last time stamp in historical data (or one tick before the last) would show for the last day or so... see both screenshots attached.

Also, when pointing with cursor on bars and looking at the DataBox - the Time, Open, High, Low, Close and Volume stay constant and don't change as I move across bars

In this case I tried FXCM connection with NinjaTrader as a back data for historical data servers. PC restart didn't help. So I had this issue with Forex and with FXCM when using historical data from NinjaTrader servers in NT8B7. Doesn't happen in NT7. I spend too much time on trying to fix this issue quite often by re-downloading data and quite often unsuccessfully...

p.s. was considering to switch back to NT7 - but in NT7 let's say time is now 11:35 - so the tick data on the chart would show fine until 11 (because last data downloaded would be 10:59...), but then next there will be a gap with next timestamp at 11:35 (it would miss all data in between). NT8 handles it much nicer and there is no missing data bars. So want to stick with NT8...

Thanks.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hello,

I would like to schedule a call with you so that you may demonstrate the behavior.

Please send an email to platformsupport [at] ninjatrader [dot] com. In the email please include a link to this forum thread.

Comment

I had a call today with Patrick. Clearing data cache and data physically from folders thorough windows explorer resolved the issue. If I find same issue again where it occurs just on disconnect (and not on standby) - I will let you know.

Thanks

Comment

Hello music_p13,

This would indicate that NinjaTrader was not restarted after experiencing the issue after resuming from standby which would be the original behavior you have described and not new behavior that is reproducible without allowing your computer to sleep.

NinjaTrader does not support your computer entering stand by.

If your NinjaTrader is restarted and your computer is not allowed to sleep, stand by, or hibernate, are you able to reproduce the issue?

Comment

Not recently. Now that I do have correct data (after clearing data and cache) - I hope it will behave as expected from now on...If it does happen in the future, I will post again.

Thanks

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by rocketman7, Today, 01:00 AM
                          0 responses
                          1 view
                          0 likes
                          Last Post rocketman7  
                          Started by wzgy0920, 04-20-2024, 06:09 PM
                          2 responses