Collapse

NT 8 freezes / write errors / other errors with multiple single symbol charts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT 8 freezes / write errors / other errors with multiple single symbol charts

Hi guys,

I recently emailed through to support some workspaces/videos of NT freezing (that I am waiting for a response on)… but when I strip back the workspace to include only instrument linked charts and tabs (i.e. no indicators of any kind) and only a plain symbol list in the Market Analyser, I am getting several different errors appear in my trace file and UI popups.

I am wondering if both issues are stemming from issues when NT8 is loading multiple charts of the same symbol simultaneously. In my case, I have 5 charts with 7 tabs each, and each one is instrument linked to the same symbol (red). So when I click a symbol in the MA it is effectively loading 35 charts of the same symbol.

The errors I am experiencing include:
    • Write cache error popups
    • Charts going blank (greyed out) if a new symbol is selected on the MA while a chart is still displaying ‘loading’
    • Only the first bar showing in each chart
    • Trace file errors such as “2016-01-06 05:12:36:467 ERROR: Data.Bars.Load7: System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file 'C:\Users\Shane\Documents\NinjaTrader 8\db\cache\Forex.Eastern Standard Time\MINUTE\EURAUD\Minute_1_1_Last_Close_Tick_Minu te_1.Last.ntb' because it is being used by another process.” <------ this one has led to NT crashes several times (“Ninjatrader has stopped working” dialogue box”)

(In the emails I sent re the program freezing there were some additional errors also)

It looks from the trace file that NT will request from the server the same data for each seperate chart window. So if I have minute charts of the same symbol in 5 different windows and daily data on other tabs in 2 of those windows, then NT is requesting minute data 5 times simultaneously from the server and daily data twice every time I change the symbol... Is that expected?

Attached is the sample workspace, and a couple of trace files. To replicate you can just keep clicking on symbols in the MA, drag them to different locations in the MA and click again etc. It's a bit boring but the longer you do this the more different errors will happen or repeat.

Cheers,
    Shane
    Attached Files

Strange.. doesn't seem to want to quote anything from your message above..

But I definitely get locked up when using your workspace as well.. Only my trace files have a ton of this..

Code:
    2016-01-05 16:10:07:481 *************** unhandled exception trapped ***************
    2016-01-05 16:10:07:481 Not enough quota is available to process this command
    2016-01-05 16:10:07:485 System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): Not enough quota is available to process this command
       at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.PostMessage(HandleRef hwnd, WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
       at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.UpdateWindowSettings(Boolean enableRenderTarget, Nullable`1 channelSet)
       at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.UpdateWindowPos(IntPtr lParam)
       at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.HandleMessage(WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
       at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.HwndTargetFilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
       at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
       at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
       at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
       at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
    Granted I don't have much of a paging file set up, but with 24g of ram, I shouldn't need one at all..

-=Edge=-
    NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - High Tech Trading Analysis

Comment

Hey Edge,

Thanks for taking the time to test that – much appreciated!

I have also had the quota error which seems odd having plenty of available resources (16gb total, usually >70% free). I tried increasing the windows virtual memory but it didn’t help.

I’ve lost count of the variations of workspace where I have tested this or something similar (see attached screenshot) in trying to track down an easily repeatable scenario for a particular error. The problem is that there seems to be so many different errors occurring that you never know which one you’re going to get

NT8 beta 7 still has quite a few stability issues surrounding this. The common theme from what I can tell is having many charts linked with instrument link, multiple tabs and then changing the symbol using the Market Analyzer.

Thanks again & cheers,
      Shane
      Attached Files

Comment

hmmm.. When I click reply with quote, I'm not getting the previous message quoted anymore, or at least not here in this thread.. Did something in the forums change?

Anyway, that's strange you mention the instrument link.. It's been some time ago now I was playing around with that with my charts.. At the time I was getting some strange erroneous errors and lockups here and there, and the only thing I could contribute it to was using that instrument link.. As once I stopped using it, the errors seemed to go away.. This could very well have just been by chance, but since you mentioned it, thought I might throw that out there.. Haven't been using it lately, as I just don't need another variable to try to troubleshoot around at the moment..

-=Edge=-
        NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - High Tech Trading Analysis

Comment

NT8 eating RAM when it freezes

Hi guys,

Just now I had my original workspace open and then stepped away from the computer (this was the complete workspace, being the one I emailed through to support, not the stripped down workspace in my original post).

I found something really interesting when I came back - NT8 had frozen (as per the issue I emailed support about) but it had done so without any input on the computer, just while it was sitting open.

Further, I noticed it was eating RAM big time. Normally when using NT my RAM usage is about 500-900MB approx. When I discovered the freeze my ram usage was already up to 3.5GB and it was steadily increasing.

I have uploaded a video where you can see NT frozen and the RAM usage increasing every second at https://youtu.be/22PXFD8fnz4

This should be able to be replicated in the workspace and instructions sent through to support a few days ago.

Cheers,
          Shane

Comment

Originally posted by ShaneAU View Post
            Hi guys,

Just now I had my original workspace open and then stepped away from the computer (this was the complete workspace, being the one I emailed through to support, not the stripped down workspace in my original post).

I found something really interesting when I came back - NT8 had frozen (as per the issue I emailed support about) but it had done so without any input on the computer, just while it was sitting open.

Further, I noticed it was eating RAM big time. Normally when using NT my RAM usage is about 500-900MB approx. When I discovered the freeze my ram usage was already up to 3.5GB and it was steadily increasing.

I have uploaded a video where you can see NT frozen and the RAM usage increasing every second at https://youtu.be/22PXFD8fnz4

This should be able to be replicated in the workspace and instructions sent through to support a few days ago.

Cheers,
            Shane
            Can you please tell me what support member you were working with via email after sending your files.
            Christopher J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Christopher,

Thanks for your reply.

My original email was replied to by Eric, Case ID 1440028. Although I have mentioned the freezing to ChristopherS during a separate issue of workspaces scrunching (which had been occurring for me after a freeze/crash took place) Case ID 1439953.

To my knowledge there hasn't yet been troubleshooting on the files I emailed through though as I'm still waiting for responses.

Cheers,
              Shane

Comment

It appears ChristopherS is currently into the issue and will send you a follow up once he has gathered additional information.
                Christopher J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi guys,

Just a quick update that the freezing and crashes as below are persistent for me in Beta 8.

Cheers,
                  Shane

Comment

Progress update on replicating errors in initial post

Hi guys,

For those following this thread I wanted to post an update. We have replicated the following on a fresh PC/NT install:
                    • NT8 can crash (I/O error) or display a ‘Write Cache’ popup error (appears to occur with multiple charts of the same symbol using different data series types)
                    • NT8 crashes while changing the symbol of multiple charts linked with the instrument link when click the Market Analyzer (if there are more indicators this can increase the likelihood of crash)
                    • NT8 Freezes and eats RAM with multiple charts using some indicator types (initial thoughts suggests this applies to indicators that are not overlayed)
                    • Charts don’t always load properly if a new symbol is clicked while the chart is still trying to load the previous symbol.

I’ve attached a PDF of the report sent to Eric (thanks also for his help with this) which has the steps to replicate each issue if anyone is interested… Now hopefully they are not hard ones to fix!

Also a big thanks to -=Edge=- who has given a tonne of his time in helping to troubleshoot these issues.

Cheers,
                    Shane
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Shane,

I am being troubled with Freezing of NT8B8 around connection to NT Brokerage connection. It doesn't always happen then as you have stated, but right now I cannot keep the system stable to do any additional development. Thanks for tracking this down, hopefully this can be fixed ASAP so we can get back to work.

EDIT: I deleted all my local data to see if it was corrupt, didn't help. I am using multiple copies across multiple charts & same chart. I am starting to think this is a CORE deadlock of sorts as I have tried to affect it with no luck.
                      Last edited by NJA_MC; 01-28-2016, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Hi NJA_MC,

Thanks for your post... I first reported the freezing issue via email on 6 January, but to my knowledge the issue has not yet been assigned an individual tracking number. The report I posted a couple of weeks ago (which has one way to replicate a freeze) was given to development as an attachment for another crashing issue with tracking #1405.

I am waiting to hear if the freezing is on NT developments radar as its own issue, with a tracking number assigned or if it's still hidden amongst the documents for issue #1405.

Maybe someone from NT support can look into this and confirm? If there is a tracking number it would be helpful to have it posted in this thread.

Fingers crossed they get a chance to do some work on it before next beta release, as you say it's a show stopper for those of us experiencing it. I've seen at least two other threads on the forum mentioning the freezing also, so we aren't the only ones...

Cheers,
                        Shane
                        Last edited by ShaneAU; 01-29-2016, 03:31 AM.

Comment

Lets add this to the mix. I am experiencing crashing every day. Here is last nights trace file. I am running a single chart with 9 tabs. No linked charts.

2016-01-28 22:39:30:303 *************** unhandled exception trapped ***************
                          2016-01-28 22:39:30:303 Insufficient memory to continue the execution of the program.
                          2016-01-28 22:39:30:303 System.OutOfMemoryException: Insufficient memory to continue the execution of the program.
                          at System.Windows.Media.Composition.DUCE.Channel.Sync Flush()
                          at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.UpdateWindowSett ings(Boolean enableRenderTarget, Nullable`1 channelSet)
                          at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.UpdateWindowPos( IntPtr lParam)
                          at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.HandleMessage(Wi ndowMessage msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
                          at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.HwndTargetFilter Message(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
                          at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
                          at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation( Object o)
                          at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.Internal RealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
                          at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatch When(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

Comment

Hi guys,

Could someone from Ninjatrader support please reply re post #12 below?

Cheers,
                            Shane

Comment

While restarting after a GUI Freeze, NT8 threw this error in the LOG and the GUI froze again:
                              2016-01-27 10:14:40:087|1|2|Connecting to HDS (HDS6.NinjaTrader.com/31655)
                              2016-01-27 10:15:55:078|3|4|Failed to call 'Add' method: Write lock may not be acquired with read lock held. This pattern is prone to deadlocks. Please ensure that read locks are released before taking a write lock. If an upgrade is necessary, use an upgrade lock in place of the read lock.
                              While shutting down, this showed in the trace log:
                              2016-02-03 10:55:34:424 Shutting down NinjaTrader
                              2016-02-03 10:55:34:425 Disconnecting 'NTBroker'
                              2016-02-03 10:55:34:425 (NTBroker) Cbi.Connection.Disconnect
                              2016-02-03 10:55:34:425 (NTBroker) Cbi.Connection.ConnectionStatusCallback: status=Disconnecting priceStatus=Disconnecting previousStatus=Connected previousPriceStatus=Connected errorCode=NoError nativeError=''
                              2016-02-03 10:55:34:425 (NTBroker) Cbi.Account.OnConnectionStatus: account='Sim101' status=Disconnecting previousStatus=Connected message=''
                              2016-02-03 10:55:34:425 (NTBroker) Cbi.Account.OnConnectionStatus: account='Practice' status=Disconnecting previousStatus=Connected message=''
                              2016-02-03 10:55:34:425 (NTBroker) Cbi.Account.OnConnectionStatus: account='#####' status=Disconnecting previousStatus=Connected message=''
                              2016-02-03 11:01:50:733 *************** unhandled exception trapped ***************
                              2016-02-03 11:01:50:733 Not enough quota is available to process this command
                              2016-02-03 11:01:50:736 System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): Not enough quota is available to process this command
                              at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.PostMessage(HandleRef hwnd, WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
                              at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.UpdateWindowSett ings(Boolean enableRenderTarget, Nullable`1 channelSet)
                              at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.UpdateWindowPos( IntPtr lParam)
                              at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.HandleMessage(Wi ndowMessage msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
                              at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.HwndTargetFilter Message(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
                              at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation( Object o)
                              at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.Internal RealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
                              at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatch When(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
                              I had just loaded a new template after startup like I always do... This is an intermittent problem difficult to work around, hopefully this deadlock is on the plate for BETA9. I didn't experience this with BETA7 so it seems new to me.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by GussJ, 03-04-2020, 03:11 PM
                              11 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post xiinteractive  
                              Started by andrewtrades, Today, 04:57 PM
                              1 response
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred