Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BUG [B8]: Cannot export indicators residing in subfolders

To reproduce:

1) Place an indicator file in a subfolder of bin\Custom\Indicators, for example bin\Custom\Indicators\YouCantExportThis. If the indicator's file name is MyCustomIndicator.cs, then the full pathname would be bin\Custom\Indicators\YouCantExportThis\MyCustomIn dicator.cs

2) Select Tools->Export->NinjaScript

3) Select 'add'

3) Select Type: Indicators

4) Observe that MyCustomIndicator does not appear in the list, and so cannot be selected for export.

Hello,

I wanted to first ask on the process the folder and indicator were created.

Can you provide the exact steps you took to create the folder and indicator?

If you had modified the folder or file outside of the editor, this could have lead to the outcome you received. I want to get the full details on this to better document what had occurred to correct this going forward.

Additionally, there are some limitations of the newer folder features in the editor, you can locate those here: http://ninjatrader.com/support/helpG...s_explorer.htm

One is that you can not manually create folders on the filesystem outside of NinjaTrader, it would need to create the folders its self.

I look forward to being of further assistance.
    JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Jesse.

I created the subfolders using File Explorer (Windows 10.)

Contrary to what the documentation you linked claims, the NT code editor does correctly handle folders created using File Explorer (i.e., they show up in the editor, and the indicators in them show up and can be opened and edited.)

But of course, the fact the folders weren't created using the NT code editor has to be the most likely reason the indicators can't be exported. I will retest by getting rid of the folders I created using File Explorer, and recreate them using the NT code editor. I will report the results later today.

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for re testing this.

Just for clarity, currently in the help guide article previously listed shows this note:

Warning: Changes to Sub-folders directly through the file system will NOT be reflected in the NinjaScript Editor. Creating and editing folders must be performed within the NinjaScript Editor.
        If you see conflicting information on that page or elsewhere can you please provide the links to the pages and sections where it is listed?

Otherwise currently it would be expected that changes outside the editor may not be registered and would instead need to be completed through the NS editor.

I look forward to being of further assistance.
        JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Jesse,

The behavior I am seeing is that it does not matter whether subfolders are created using File Explorer or using the NT code editor: In either case, *.cs files located in a subfolder show up in the code editor, they can be opened in the code editor, they can be compiled using the code editor (and subsequently show up in the list of available indicators on a chart,) they can be renamed, they can be excluded from compilation, they can be un-excluded from compilation, and they can be removed.

Also, regardless of how the subfolders are created, any indicators which reside in subfolders do not show up as available for export in the list of exportable indicators.

I should mention that I tried to find a way to move *.cs files from one folder to another using the NT code editor, but was unable to find any way to do that. So I used File Explorer to move pre-existing indicators between folders. I did not create new indicators in subfolders using the NT code editor, since that's not what I need/want to do, nor would I expect most users who are professional programmers to usually wish to do any such thing.

Comment

Warning: Changes to Sub-folders directly through the file system will NOT be reflected in the NinjaScript Editor.
            is not correct/true. Albeit, it would appear that one has to restart NT for any such folders to show up in the NS Editor.

Comment

Yes, when I used File Explorer to create subfolders, I always shutdown NinjaTrader, created the subfolders, and then restarted NT. I did that just on principle.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by geddyisodin, Yesterday, 05:20 AM
              7 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby  
              Started by gbourque, Today, 06:39 AM
              2 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post gbourque