Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• radicaltrader
    replied
    Are there any tool out there that you can bounce a FXCM connection without stopping a strategy? Paid or not paid tools.

Leave a comment:

• radicaltrader
    replied
    that's NT7

Leave a comment:

• radicaltrader
    replied
    yes i have sent trace and log files twice which didn't show any problems.

market data is freezing... I still have a green connection light..... refreshing chart does not restore market data.

I have stopped trading now and running the VPS with a demo FXCM connection.
    I have installed NT on my local PC and running my live FXCM connection on that trading to sim.

I have not had a market data freeze so far.

Its very frustrating

Leave a comment:

• NinjaTrader_Matthew
    replied
    Originally posted by radicaltrader View Post
    i have had my FXCM connection freeze multiple times today... its the worst NT& has been since i have been using it...
    Sorry is that "NT7 has been" or "NT8" has been?

Have you sent in your log and trace files?

To be clear: It's the market data that is freezing, or the connection?

Are you able to interact with the UI during these periods? Can you reload your chart? Is it just the real-time feed that is not updating?

Leave a comment:

• radicaltrader
    replied
    i have had my FXCM connection freeze multiple times today... its the worst NT& has been since i have been using it...

Leave a comment:

• FXMIKE
    replied
    My FXCM and Nt8 have been running fine all days so far.

Leave a comment:

• radicaltrader
    replied
    Originally posted by FXMIKE View Post
    I have been using NT8 with FXCM since October and have not had any issues.
    I have had my connection freeze twice in the last 2 hours... Its been great for a week and a half though.
    NT7
    Last edited by radicaltrader; 02-08-2016, 10:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• FXMIKE
    replied
    I have been using NT8 with FXCM since October and have not had any issues.

Leave a comment:

• radicaltrader
    replied
    its been over a week since my last disconnection/freeze. But thing are starting to lag.... CPU use 100% on trade. 10% normally

Leave a comment:

• NinjaTrader_Matthew
    replied
    Originally posted by Trader_55 View Post
    Thanks, good to know... I will let you know if I experience anything else. So far this week has been free of disconnections, which is a good sign.
    That is good to hear, thanks for the update. I've been testing FXCM adapter all week with roughly 40 symbols at a time and has been fine for me - will keep an eye out during the economic events tomorrow as well.

Leave a comment:

• Trader_55
    replied
    Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Matthew View Post
    I cannot say for sure, but in my experience as long as you are not taking any actions that would disable a subscription, then NT7 should not disabled either. The reason I cannot say for sure is that I do not know if there is another action you are taking that is causing the symbols to unsubscribed.
    Thanks, good to know... I will let you know if I experience anything else. So far this week has been free of disconnections, which is a good sign.

Leave a comment:

• NinjaTrader_Matthew
    replied
    Originally posted by Trader_55 View Post
    Thanks...

First, I have not actually hooked up NT 8 or tried anything with it yet, it was just a theoretical question because I was thinking about it.

Second, is it fair to say that if I open up the web trader and do NOT change any symbols, that I can probably avoid the behavior that you described? The web trader is just there as a backup in case NT crashes so I can exit a position. I have in fact placed orders in it before and actually had them show up (sometimes with a delay) in NT... but in general if I just open it up and don't change anything at all, should it be OK just to use it that way?
    I cannot say for sure, but in my experience as long as you are not taking any actions that would disable a subscription, then NT7 should not disabled either. The reason I cannot say for sure is that I do not know if there is another action you are taking that is causing the symbols to unsubscribed.

Leave a comment:

• Trader_55
    replied
    Yes, I would define the web trader to be another "app" since it shares the API.

I do understand that FXCM can be used for simultaneous logins. That entitlement on the account does not change the behavior.

Try this yourself:

- Open NT7, connect to FXCM, open EURUSD and confirm it's updating
    - Login to the FXCM Web Trader
    - Setup a layout which just uses one Advanced Dealing Rates window, with the EURUSD mixed in with all the other symbols
    (Note: it's important that there are no other windows that are subscribed to EURUSD open in this web app, otherwise the steps below will not disable the subscription)
    - Located the EURUSD and change it to another pair.
    - Go back to NT7, and you'll see the EURUSD chart will have stopped updating at that same time.

Again, that's just one example of how you can get a single instrument to stop updating, and may not be what you are doing that is causing issues - however there may be something else in particular you are doing in that web app that is causing all symbols to stop updating unexpectedly.

In my experience, such actions in NinjaTrader 7 and NinjaTrader 8 do not exhibit this behavior. Yet, there may be something in particular you're doing in NT8 that's causing issues in NT7 and vice versa. This is what I'd like to help understand.
    Thanks...

First, I have not actually hooked up NT 8 or tried anything with it yet, it was just a theoretical question because I was thinking about it.

Second, is it fair to say that if I open up the web trader and do NOT change any symbols, that I can probably avoid the behavior that you described? The web trader is just there as a backup in case NT crashes so I can exit a position. I have in fact placed orders in it before and actually had them show up (sometimes with a delay) in NT... but in general if I just open it up and don't change anything at all, should it be OK just to use it that way?

Leave a comment:

• NinjaTrader_Matthew
    replied
    Yes, I would define the web trader to be another "app" since it shares the API.

I do understand that FXCM can be used for simultaneous logins. That entitlement on the account does not change the behavior.

Try this yourself:

- Open NT7, connect to FXCM, open EURUSD and confirm it's updating
    - Login to the FXCM Web Trader
    - Setup a layout which just uses one Advanced Dealing Rates window, with the EURUSD mixed in with all the other symbols
    (Note: it's important that there are no other windows that are subscribed to EURUSD open in this web app, otherwise the steps below will not disable the subscription)
    - Located the EURUSD and change it to another pair.
    - Go back to NT7, and you'll see the EURUSD chart will have stopped updating at that same time.

Again, that's just one example of how you can get a single instrument to stop updating, and may not be what you are doing that is causing issues - however there may be something else in particular you are doing in that web app that is causing all symbols to stop updating unexpectedly.

In my experience, such actions in NinjaTrader 7 and NinjaTrader 8 do not exhibit this behavior. Yet, there may be something in particular you're doing in NT8 that's causing issues in NT7 and vice versa. This is what I'd like to help understand.

Leave a comment:

• Trader_55
    replied
    I'd like to take a moment to remind of disclaimer #4

This is something we have noted in our testing, and does cause issues under certain circumstances. For example if you have data open in FXCM and NinjaTrader, and you switch the dealing rate in FXCM or close the subscription, it'll also stop in NinjaTrader without any warning. That is just one example off 'oddities' from sharing the same API.

Our historical data server does not share the API with any other programs, so we do not experience that behavior - which could explain why you are seeing issues, but we do not see issues in our development environments.

If there is something in particular you are doing (such as login into a specific application, or using a specific feature of a 3rd party), we'd be happy to look into that scenario to understand why this is exhibiting issues so frequently for you.
    Thanks for the tip... actually I am not running other applications connecting to FXCM simultaneously on my PC, that was just something I did one time when I was experiencing problems.

I do however, do the following:

1. I sometimes connect to FXCM by logging in using their Web Trader in Chrome, and log into my account at the same time that I am logged into NT 7.

2. I have a second copy of NT 7 running on a virtual PC also connecting to my account.

Note that point #2 is very recent and I was experiencing disconnect issues before I ever did that... just want to know if you happen to think it could also cause problems down the line.

As for point #1, connecting through a web page... should that be an issue?

Finally, if I decided to also connect to my account using NT8 to run some extra charts, would that potentially cause problems?

(I have permission for simultaneous logins from FXCM, so they do allow that.)

I actually haven't noticed any disconnects this week, we'll see what happens for NFP tomorrow.
    Last edited by Trader_55; 02-04-2016, 10:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by benmarkal, Yesterday, 12:52 PM
3 responses
0 likes
Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby  
Started by helpwanted, Today, 03:06 AM
1 response
0 likes
Last Post sarafuenonly123