untraceable runtime errors, Category "Default"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

untraceable runtime errors, Category "Default"

All of my custom indicators have full error trapping, and for the most part I have been able to eliminate runtime errors from indicator code execution.

However out of the blue for no apparent reason I sometimes start to get errors like the one shown, and a bunch of other ones, too. I think it has something to do with CHARTS becoming CORRUPTED since deleting and replacing charts seems to eventually fix it.

Ninja ran fine overnight, but after a computer restart for a software update, could not get it to keep running at all, with Default, untraceable, unknowable runtime errors popping up all over the place with no rhyme or reason. Hours of frustration that I can do without, thank you.

Which leads me to believe that these errors are arising from execution of YOUR code for objects such as charts, bar types, etc, and that YOUR code does NOT have any error traps.

So when there is a problem, just let Ninjatrader crash, because that problem did not come up in testing, was not foreseen, so does not exist..

Is crashing really better than saving virtual ink in the code editor window by omitting error handling from your code, based on the assumption that the code is perfect? Seems like a REALLY BAD tradeoff.

Pertains to NT8B8.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Ricam; 02-09-2016, 04:11 PM.

Error calling SetState method ????

There is no such method that I know of in this indicator.

What could be the cause of this error?

How can it be trapped, and HANDLED ????

Something I should do, or something YOU should do?

Why did this appear out of nowhere as soon as a new session started?

Attached Files
    Last edited by Ricam; 02-09-2016, 05:21 PM.

Comment

More entertaining mystery errors

Bear in mind that this workspace ran fine... until the new session started. And now every attempt to run Ninjatrader ends at the End Task button of the WindowsTask Manager, after Ninjatrader freezes.

How does the implementation of Indicator Unknown change by itself without my having made any changes to anything in the code editor?

Without the ability to prevent, correct or deal with this stuff, trying to do custom programming for NT8 is starting to seem like a LOST CAUSE.
      Attached Files

Comment

In both instances, it appears to be core code that is failing.

You should send us your log and trace files with any steps (if any) you have to reproduce. We can then run these scenarios by development and see what can be done to handle them.
        MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

requested files

Now we are getting somewhere. I still say that core code should be fault tolerant.

I don't think log or trace files will help. Let's work on this tomorrow, may have to send you my indicators and workspaces. Mention this to Dave I., too. I had sent him an email

CQG trace file is 23MB, too big to send.

Also please note that I am using AVG anti virus. It was updated overnight. Up until now it has gotten along OK with NT8 but now.. not so sure. With NT7 there had been problems when Google Chrome was open, sometimes.

Would be good for the Help guide to mention known software incompatibilities, and setup issues such as which folders to exclude from Windows Indexing and real time virus and malware scanning.

Windows 10 I-7 system.

Thanks.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Ricam; 02-09-2016, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Just be clear, we have error handling all over the place, and the message is being logged as a last resort to catch the problem and to indicate there was an unknown problem. You are likely hitting something our tests do not catch so once we have that identified, we will have that caught as well... as goes beta, one bug at a time...

Comment

Originally posted by Ricam View Post
              Bingo, now we are getting somewhere.

Core code should have error handling in it.

I don't think log or trace files will help. Let's work on this tomorrow, may have to send you my indicators and workspaces. Mention this to Dave I., too. I had sent him an email

CQG trace file is 23MB, too big to send.

Thanks.
              Thanks, we don't need the CQG trace file.

Your regular trace file suggests there is an issue with tick replay. Do the errors go away if you disable tick replay?

Maybe we can reproduce with your indicators when you send that in. Thanks for reporting.

Comment

For what it's worth I had a similar...(but not exactly the same)...issue a couple of weeks ago. Unchecking "Tick Replay" did seem to fix the problem.....but then a day or so later another issue came up and froze Ninja solid. After an hour or two wrestling with it, I blew away NT8 and reinstalled it fresh. But, I have noticed some mildly strange behavior when Tick Replay was checked. Like Ricam, we install Try/Catch everywhere to isolate problems if/when they crop up.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by algospoke, Yesterday, 06:40 PM
                2 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post algospoke  
                Started by ghoul, Today, 06:02 PM
                3 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred