Collapse

B8 Optimization Issue for Multi Instrument Strategy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In all posts after post #5 I was referring to the screencaps posted in post #5.

Both videos appear to show optimizations with an instrument list selected. Neither video shows a single instrument being tested. In post #9 you mention the behavior happens with a single instrument.
    In my first video, you'll see me perform a:
    1. Basket optimization on DOW 30 - note the results/primary instrument issue.
    2. Regular optimization on GS - I repeat this a few times so you can see the instability (see the top result drop from $15.75 to $10.25 with AVariable = 5), though at least it adds the correct primary instrument.
    3. Regular backtest on GS - this works fine, with AVariable = 5 we should get $15.75.
    Please rewatch http://screencast.com/t/9c8rCvSB7E, you'll see that from 0:50 onwards, the basket testing is over and I have moved on to single instrument testing outlined in points 2. and 3. above. The area of interest as I said in my last post was from 1:05-1:25. Here you'll see me run the same optimization on a single instrument, and on the very last run, you'll see the results change. This happens at roughly 1:22.

You are right that they don't change each time the optimization is run, but they do every few runs, and I find that this is more likely to happen with more complex strategies.

The second video/screencap is irrelevant to this single instrument problem. The purpose of the second video was only to show that without the secondary series, everything works fine in the case of the basket optimization.

Comment

Sure.

Optimization results are inconsistent/unstable when run multiple times for a strategy with an added secondary instrument.

To reproduce:
      1. Create a basic strategy which enters a position such as your sample script.
      2. Make sure the results change in some way with the variable optimized (e.g. we make AVariable the quantity traded and optimize for AVariable).
      3. Run the optimization for AVariable 1-10 a few times, paying close attention to the results seen.

Are you not able to reproduce this? For a more obvious demonstration of this problem using a more complex strategy, please see this screencap I made during the closed beta. It seems that this problem is still here today.

Free online storage and sharing with Screencast.com. 2 GB of storage and 2 GB of bandwidth per month for free. We won't compress, alter or take ownership of your content.

Comment

Hello wulieng,

Thank you for reporting this behavior. I have reproduced these results and sent a bug report to our development which is now being tracked with ID# NTEIGHT-9424.

Please let me know if you find any other incorrect behavior with the NinjaTrader 8 Beta.
        Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by mattbsea, Today, 05:44 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post mattbsea  
        Started by RideMe, 04-07-2024, 04:54 PM
        6 responses
        0 likes