NT8B9 - Crosshairs eat CPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT8B9 - Crosshairs eat CPU

After a playback-market replay - I turned on Global Crosshairs to examine some trades.

When I finished, I left the machine alone for a few minutes and noticed the fans were getting louder.

If I leave the Crosshair in a chart - it's eating CPU.

Opened processes tab in Task Manger and sorted by CPU usage, and as soon as I moved cursor back to the chart - the Ninjatrader task shot up to 20% CPU... confirming what I saw.
    Attached Files

There is definitely a significant problem with the crosshairs in NT8. I went out and bought a brand new machine last week just to ensure the prob wasnt on my end. I am running i7 quad core 4.0ghz with 16gb DDr4 Ram and twin GeForce GT730 Vid Cards and Win10 home. My crosshair on a single chart with no indicators running has unacceptable lag. If I run the global crosshair on 2 x blank chats I get 2 - 3 jumps to cover the screen in 1 second.

The only variable so far i havnt taken out of the picture is Win10. Sledge, what OS are you running please?

Comment

It should be obvious from the image that's Windows 7 Laptop with Nvidia quadro k2100m in 4k.

No major lag when using it on 3 charts. It's acceptable. It's not like win7.

It also happens on win10 64 with NVidia quadro m2100m in 4k. My charts are maybe 800x600. Just sitting there it eats cpu. (Even did a crosshair in an ES 03-14 chart, same result.)

It would be silly to make a video of something this trivial. This should be easily reproduced.

Comment

Hello sledge,

Thank you for your post,

I do see the same on my end when testing the Global Cross hairs in this scenario. I will report to Development to look into further.

Thank you for testing!
        Eric B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by marty087 View Post
          There is definitely a significant problem with the crosshairs in NT8. I went out and bought a brand new machine last week just to ensure the prob wasnt on my end. I am running i7 quad core 4.0ghz with 16gb DDr4 Ram and twin GeForce GT730 Vid Cards and Win10 home. My crosshair on a single chart with no indicators running has unacceptable lag. If I run the global crosshair on 2 x blank chats I get 2 - 3 jumps to cover the screen in 1 second.

The only variable so far i havnt taken out of the picture is Win10. Sledge, what OS are you running please?
          I'm not seeing this on my desktop currently. NinjaTrader is idling at 03-04% cpu on 6 core intel i7 5820k.

But it does go crazy with CPU on my laptops.

Have you replaced those GT730's yet?

Comment

The Gt730's were my replacements from the NVidia 210's, I just cant believe that I would need more GPU / memory than this, my cards can run 3d movies flawlessly, something else is going on here. I am doubtful now this is a video card issue. The crosshairs on my i7 laptop perform without lag despite the graphics being less powerful than my desktop and half the amount of cpu cores aswell (2 vs 4) Further more, I uninstalled my video cards and ran the intel integrated graphics on my Brand new Gigabyte Z170MX Gaming motherboard and still experienced the lag.

This is perplexing.

Comment

Thank you Sledge for pointing me to this thread. I have been looking at this issue for some time now and over the weekend went to Passmark.com to try to find a video card that might improve the crosshair situation for me. So I downloaded their PerformanceTest software and ran some tests. From the testing I did I didn't see any major areas where my video card was under performing.

I will certainly have to spend more time to figure out this performance test software to get a better baseline to compare my system to but it appears now that selecting a video card is either not easy or futile.

regards,
              taddypole...

Comment

GPU Qualities Important to CrossHair Performance

I am using a free utility to measure the performance of my graphics card. Its a tool that allows a 30 free trial. I have used it and get a score but don't know how to evaluate the numbers. I've attached a description of the test suite but was wondering if there is anyone who knows which test in the suite are important for crosshair performance in NT8.

regards,
                taddypole...
                Attached Files

Comment

At least draw the hardware cursor so there isn't input lag. I constantly overshoot the position of the crosshair because it follows slowly behind the real hidden cursor.

The reason why we are seeing so much lag is because the crosshair is drawn on the video card memory buffer then the buffer is displayed. NT7 had no buffering it was basically just overlayed the chart much like a cursor.

Maybe you guys should consult with video game developers. Video games run really nice on my system without lag and its way more graphics intensive.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by Radano, 06-10-2021, 01:40 AM
                  20 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post NinjaTrader_BrandonH  
                  Started by Mizzouman1, Today, 07:35 AM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post Mizzouman1