Strategy Analyzer Window Extremely Slow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strategy Analyzer Window Extremely Slow

I have been having an issue with the Strategy Analyzer window being extremely slow. When I initially launch NT8, it seems to load quickly. As soon as it's loaded I can access the toolbar, click on tabs/button, etc. From that screen if I launch the Strategy Analyzer, the Strategy Analyzer screen will appear after a few seconds and after than my entire NT program freezes up. If I wait for about 5 minutes it will evenetually unfreeze and I can continue with using the Strategy Analyzer. Once it finally unfreezes, if I start setting up an Optimization, any time I change one of the parameters, once I make the change and click off of the parameter, it will freeze up again for about 30 seconds.
    I am a software engineer by professional, and from what I am seeing it looks like there is a synchronus process that the program is waiting for. It looks like the UI thread is waiting for some operation to happen, which would cause the GUI to become unresponsive until the operation is complete. I have been using the NT7 software for a number of years and have never experienced this issue before with that version. Let me know if I can offer any other information to help.

Hello krugman25,

Thank you for writing in.

Does this also occur if you test on a blank workspace?

To start NinjaTrader with a blank workspace, follow the steps below:
    • Shut down NinjaTrader
    • Navigate to (My) Documents\NinjaTrader 8\workspaces
    • Cut and paste all the files within this folder onto your desktop
    • Restart NinjaTrader which should startup without any workspaces.

Once NinjaTrader has started on just the control center, please open the Strategy Analyzer and test for the issue.
    Zachary G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I followed your instructions but it did not resolve the issue. The software froze up for 5-10 minutes before becoming responsive again.

Comment

Hello krugman25,

I am unable to reproduce this on my end.

What version of NinjaTrader 8 are you currently using? You can check for this under the Help -> About menu in the Control Center.

Additionally, do any errors appear in the Log tab of the Control Center?

Comment

Version: 8.0.0.9 64-bit (Multi-Broker) - BETA
          Log: 2/19/2016 13:42 Order Order entry hot keys disabled 2/19/2016 13:42 Default Auto close enabled=False 2/19/2016 13:42 Default Automated trading disabled 2/19/2016 13:42 Connection Connecting to IS (HDS5.NinjaTrader.com/31658) 2/19/2016 13:42 Default Global simulation mode enabled 2/19/2016 13:42 Default Type=Simulation State=Verified Start Date=12/31/2004 End Date=11/30/2099 2/19/2016 13:42 Default Verifying license at primary server... 2/19/2016 13:42 Default Session Break (Version 8.0.0.9)

It did the same thing when I was using 8.0.0.8. I have a high-end machine that should have no problem with this, and like I mentioned before, I have no problems running NT7. I will add in that running the actual optimization is fine, it does the testing as fast or faster than NT7, it's just opening up the window and interacting with the window.

Comment

Hello krugman25,

As a test, can you exclude any third party scripts from compilation so only the default scripts that come with the platform are included?

To do this, click on New -> NinjaScript Editor in the Control Center.

Then, navigate through the folders, right-click on a script and select "Exclude From Compilation" on third party items.

Once you have done this, test the Strategy Analyzer once more.

Comment

I excluded all of the 3rd party scripts and it still keeps freezing up. Is there any other information I can provide to help?

Comment

Hello krugman25,

Would you be able to provide your log and trace files?

You can do this by going to the Control Center-> Help-> Email Support.

Please reference both my name and a link to this thread in the body of the email.

Comment

I can't seem to find where I need to go to email you those files. I found a place to send a message to support but I couldn't find where to add attachments. I want to make sure I am sending this to the right place.

Comment

Hello krugman25,

Submitting the log and trace files by following my previous post will submit them directly to us.

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ZacharyG View Post
                    Hello krugman25,

Would you be able to provide your log and trace files?

You can do this by going to the Control Center-> Help-> Email Support.

Please reference both my name and a link to this thread in the body of the email.
                    Ensure that the "Upload the following files to NinjaTrader" section has log and trace files checked.
                    Last edited by NinjaTrader_ZacharyG; 02-24-2016, 11:31 AM.

Comment

I found what you were talking about and it as been sent!

Comment

Any luck with this? The analyzer gets extremely slow. After a few optimizations the gui gets so laggy you can barely update any parameters. Additionally, it will eat up memory like nobody's business. Somehow this memory sits in the Control Center because when I close all windows except for the control center the memory still doesn't get released.

Comment

I thought something was wrong with my system but it seems it is a common problem.
                          I usually find it works particularly bad after aborting the optimization.

Comment

I found the same thing gregid. I've also noticed that running normal optimizations in a row (without cancelling) will cause the same issue with the GUI but not necessarily cause memory utilization to balloon.

Comment

Hello,

I am not able to reproduce this on my end.

I have optimized over the Sample MA crossover strategy about ten times.

Is this reproducible with the Sample MA crossover strategy that is included with the platform? Are you changing the optimization parameters on every new optimize?

Do you only see this occur when optimizing over a custom strategy? What version of NinjaTrader 8 are you currently running?

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by gbourque, Today, 06:39 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post gbourque  
                              Started by cmtjoancolmenero, Yesterday, 03:58 PM
                              1 response
                              0 likes