Beta 8.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beta 8.0

Although the new 8 version seems to need some improvement according to many posts, I wish to get a little bit familiar with it before too late. At the very start I wanted to watch how some simple codes work in the new environment, but I'm already facing a difficulty here, since I do not know how to load a strategy. With Ninja 7 I went from the Control Center through Tools to Edit NinjaScript then to Strategy, and I could select as many strategies as I had in my folder. With Ninja 8 the steps have changed, I suppose now I must go from Tools to Import then to NinjaScript, but I can't select anything because of the message "You have custom NinjaScript files that have programming errors (by the way, this means that 7-scripts are not compatible with the 8 logic). These errors must be resolved before you can import a NinjaScript Archive file".
    If so, how may I load, edit and rectify my codes ?
    And if this is a way to import not strategies but Archive files, how do I load an (incompatible) strategy of mine?
    Finally, another strange message occurs when I open Ninja 8 from scratch: "NinjaTrader has detected there are windows outside the viewable range, reposition these to the primary monitor". I say yes, but the next time the error occurs once again, so how do I definitely get rid of it ?

Hello fliesen,

Thanks for your post.

There are many Ninjascript code breaking changes going from Ninjatrader 7 to Ninjatrader 8 such that you would not be able to successfully import any Ninjatrader7 items and we do not recommend this approach for the reason you have stated (programming errors).

You will have to create new Ninjascript files within NinjaTrader8 to ensure that you have the correct framework. You create new by opening the Ninjascript enditor and clicking on the "+" tab and you can then select the particular item wizard that will assist in creating the basic framework. Once that is done then you would need to edit within the editor to add your logic.

The helpguide will be the best reference and in particular the list of code breaking changes. You look up the method used in Ninjatrader 7 and verify if it has changed and if so what the new name and or requirements are. Here is a direct link to the code breaking changes: http://ninjatrader.com/support/helpG...ng_changes.htm

Regarding the windows, you probably need to move them a bit more and make sure you save your workspace after you have moved them.
    Paul H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Actually, recreating my logic from scratch would be somehow complicate.
      I already felt that there are major changes between 7 and 8, and that my old codes could not be so easily imported. However, I still hope I may create a simple Ninja 8 script with the editor, then add/copy the lines of my old code after the "protected ovverride void OnBarUpdate ()" section, as I used to do in Ninja 7.
      Or does this work no more ?

Comment

Hello fliesen,

Thanks for your reply.

The process you describe is how I have approached converting Ninjascript from NinjaTrader 7 to 8. Use the Ninjatrader 8 wizard to create the framework then copy the NT7 code within the OnBarUpDate() method and paste in the same method in NT8. You will still need to go through the copied code and check for methods that have changed, for example DrawText is now Draw.Text. Some of the changes are simple name changes while others have signature changes.

When you compile, any errors will be noted and then it is a matter of going to the first error listed and effecting the change needed and recompiling (repeating as needed).

You can always look as examples of conversions in the NinjaTrader file sharing forums in the NT8 section: http://ninjatrader.com/support/forum...ks.php?catid=7 as well as many of the reference samples here: http://ninjatrader.com/support/forum...splay.php?f=30

Comment

I just started converting Ninjascripts from NinjaTrader 7 to 8, copying the "protected override void OnBarUpdate()" section from NT7 to a NT8 framework.
          This was ok, however in NT7 there are sections identified as
          • "Variables",where I initialized all used variables and lists,
          • "protected override void Initialize()", where I made my multiseries additions, for istance: Add("$EURUSD", PeriodType.Minute, 5),
          • and "protected override void OnStartUp()", where I dimensioned my arrays, for istance:
          for(int i = 0; i < BarsArray.Length+1; i++)
          {mine.Add("");}

Since NT8 presents different methods, where must they be now inserted ?

Comment

Hello fliesen,

Thanks for your reply.

The NT7 initialize and Startup methods have been incorporated with the OnStateChange() method. Please review the helpguide for NT8, http://ninjatrader.com/support/helpG...ng_changes.htm specifically the section labeled, " Implementation Changes Overview"

You may want to look at some of the indicators that have been converted in the NT8 file sharing area to see how these have been converted from their NT7 structure to NT8 structure.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by sidlercom80, 10-28-2023, 08:49 AM
            167 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post jeronymite  
            Started by warreng86, 11-10-2020, 02:04 PM
            7 responses
            0 likes