Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

NT8.0.0.9 Draw onto Panel fails using MTF indicator and AddChartIndicator Strategy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT8.0.0.9 Draw onto Panel fails using MTF indicator and AddChartIndicator Strategy

Hello,

I have uploaded an example indicator and strategy that you can use to reproduce this error.

The indicator is a copy of NT standard ADX indicator how I have changed it slightly to operator on a secondary DataSeries but plot on the primary DataSeries.

The strategy uses AddChartIndicator to display the indicator in the context of a strategy.

Picture “DrawOnPanel_WorksCorrectly Indicator.GIF” shows the plot of the indicator on a chart.

Picture “DrawOnPanel_Fail Strategy.GIF” show the plot of the Strategy using StrategyAnalyzer.

When the indicator is loaded onto a chart it plots Draw.ArrowDown correctly onto the result panel.

When the indicator is added to a chart using AddChartIndicator via a strategy it plots Draw.ArrowDown incorrectly on the chart and NOT on the panel.

Can you pls reproduce this at your end and let me know if I need to define the strategy or indicator differently to so it will also work using AddChartIndicator via strategy, or if this is an issue / bug.

Thank you
    Attached Files

Hello,

Thank you for bringing this up. You should be able to set the DrawOnPricePanel property to False in your strategy code to get those arrows drawing in the bottom panel. However, I believe we've just uncovered a bug with this, as I'm not able to get it working on my end. I'm going to submit a report to our team today to look into a solution for this (NTEIGHT-9503).

When the issue is resolved, setting DrawOnPricePanel = false in your strategy's Configure state should do the trick.
    Last edited by NinjaTrader_DaveI; 03-02-2016, 05:01 PM.
    Dave I.NinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Hello Dave,

I read in the online HELP that DrawOnPricePanel = false statement is only relevant when used in OnStateChanged event of an indicator to ensure that all draw objects of the indicator are placed on a separate panel.

I retested the example I uploaded yesterday with DrawOnPricePanel = false defined on the OnStateChanged event, it again fails to draw the arrows on the indicator panel and instead skews the chart panel y-scale to zero, when used via AddChartIndicator.

The example I uploaded yesterday used this Draw statement, where the last parameter "bool drawOnPricePanel" is set to FALSE, to ensure that ArrowDown is drawn on the indicator panel.

Draw.ArrowDown(this, "PanelDN" + CurrentBars[1].ToString(), true, 0, Value[0] - 0.5, Brushes.Red, false);

This is of-course why, the indicator works fine standalone when added directly to a chart by itself. And why it should also work when added to a strategy chart via AddChartIndicator.

It looks like AddChartIndicator fails to recognize that the arrow should be drawn on the indicator panel, when the Draw statement is executed, at BarsInProgress = 1 time of OnBarUpdate event.

I have other indicators that I use where their plots are drawn on a separate panel, but they also draw arrows on both the indicator panel and the price chart to allow me to visually line up the arrows between the indicator panel and price chart, for my trading.

They all work fine standalone when added directly to a chart, but all fail they same way as the uploaded example I provided, when used with AddChartIndicator via a strategy.

Can you please get back to me with what you find out, is this a bug with AddChartIndicator or is there something else that needs to be defined in the indicator to make it work with AddChartIndicator of a strategy ?

Thanks

Comment

Hello Dave,

Have you been able to find anything more about this yet ?

Comment

The developer working on NTEIGHT-9503 is not able to reliably reproduce the issue today, so right now I'm looking into finding something more specific that needs to be in place to reproduce consistently.
          Dave I.NinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Its been a couple of more days and I still haven`t heard back about this.

I don`t understand why you say that you can`t reproduce this error consistently.

I`ve already uploaded an custom indicator and strategy for you to use, that will consistently reproduce this error for you.

Are you having trouble using what I uploaded ?

Comment

Dave,

Are you still working on this, did I waste my time reporting this bug.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by algospoke, Yesterday, 06:40 PM
              2 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post algospoke  
              Started by ghoul, Today, 06:02 PM
              3 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred