X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Easy Intarday Chart Access to Daily OHLC Data

can I ask NT to please review

CloseD

many platforms now include functions such as this to allow intraday charts easy access to daily OHLC data.

e.g. to calculate a 100 day moving average on a 5 minute chart would currently require approximately 100,000 5 minute bars in NT8 (and NT7). This could be avoided (reducing server load) with a few series functions like the above.
    Last edited by futurenets; 03-04-2016, 10:11 AM.

Hello,

Thank you for sharing this feedback with us. That is an interesting idea, and I will log a feature request (SFT-1217) so we can begin to track demand for adding a method or group of methods like this.

There are a ways to obtain this kind of data in NinjaScript already, although not so simply as with a single method. For example, you could add a secondary data series with a one-day interval into your script, and reference data from that series in your calculations.
    Last edited by NinjaTrader_DaveI; 03-04-2016, 12:56 PM.
    Dave I.NinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

ok thanks Dave,

For example, you could add a secondary data series with a one-day interval into your script, and reference data from that series in your calculations
      would I not have the same problem as described i.e. I'd need 28,800 (or some other high value) primary 5 minute bars to calculate a 100 day moving average on a 5 minute chart?

but glad to hear you'll monitor this - demand, innovative/proactive steps, monitoring the progress of other platforms etc. all play their part. TradeStation functions are efficient and well thought out CloseD ... but if 28,800 (or some other high value) primary bars are required to access 100 secondary bars that may be inefficient from a client/server viewpoint?
      Last edited by futurenets; 03-07-2016, 09:27 AM.

Comment

from koganam:

NT does not run on a server. All data access is local, after NT first downloads the data to the local machine, so there is no daily data on any server to access directly. Work within the paradigm of the platform. This is not TradeStation; it is NinjaTrader.

I doubt that NT is going to redesign this to be a platform where clients calculate from data directly on a server: it is just too big a change in architecture.
        re. http://ninjatrader.com/support/forum...487#post451487
        Last edited by futurenets; 03-07-2016, 10:22 AM.

Comment

accessing a single value (in this case previous days closing price) on another chart once during each trading session is my solution (albeit unsupported by NT).

As far as I'm concerned this is my equivalent of CloseD with very little effort (and much better than relying on 57,000 bars arriving without any problems).

I'll probably create a GLOBALS indicator until such time a formal solution is introduced by NT.

Comment

for future reference:

How to make two charts share variable values

Why would I wish to do this? Lets say I have a Weekly chart with a 50EMA on it and I wish to know the current value to plot on my 100 tick chart. I do not wish of course to take the usual course of adding at least 50 weeks of data onto my 100 tick chart ...

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by Aviram Y, Today, 05:29 AM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post Aviram Y  
            Started by quantismo, 04-17-2024, 05:13 PM
            3 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby