Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT8b9 Can't create subfolder if the name exists in other folder

[NinjaScript Editor]

I had a subfolder Base in Indicator folder (Indicator\Base) and attempted to create similar structure in Strategy folder (Strategy\Base). Unfortunately this is not possible and the message is: "Do you want to rename 'Base' to 'NewFolder'? There is already a folder with the same name in this location (Yes/No)"

Also on the existing subfolder if I right click -> Rename it does nothing

Hello,

Thank you for the question.

This would be expected as the word "base" is a C# keyword, you would need to use something else potentially including the project name "MyCustomProjectBase"

Learn about the base keyword, which is used to access members of the base class from within a derived class in C#.

For the Rename, I will review this and submit a bug report in the case I can reproduce it as well.

I look forward to being of further assistance.
    JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

The error applies to all names not only "Base"

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for the reply.

Can you tell me, are you using the current beta release?

I am not seeing the same from my tests for other folders or even base. In a script the usage of base would be expected to cause problems if used incorrectly, it could also be confusing as it is already used in C# for a purpose. For the folder in general it should not matter but would not be a suggested name in general to use.

I have composed a video showing the test I had just completed, if you are seeing other results using the current beta this could be a install problem or potentially if you had upgraded from a prior beta potentially something was left behind causing a problem.
        Free online storage and sharing with Screencast.com. 2 GB of storage and 2 GB of bandwidth per month for free. We won't compress, alter or take ownership of your content.

In the case you are using an older beta, please update and test again. Otherwise if you are using the current beta I would suggest completing an un install and re install to see if this was something caused by a upgrade from a prior version.

Please let me know if i may be of further assistance.

Comment

I did a vanilla install between beta 8 and beta 9 (including wiping out Documents/NinjaTrader) I will try later on after restarting my machine.

Have you confirmed the other issue (naming subfolders the same)?

Comment

Hello,

I have not seen any problems in creating/renaming any sub folders at this point.

After you have restarted and re tested please let me know the results. If you are still seeing the same, could you either provide a video of what you are seeing or the exact steps you are using to reproduce the message?

I look forward to being of further assistance.

Comment

I did the same as you in the screencast. Will update you.

Does it mean you can create both:
              Indicators/Testing
              and
              Strategies/Testing
              at the same time?

Comment

PC restart solved the Rename problem so the secondary problem I raised is solved.

Now to the main (completely SEPARATE) point, to repeat it - you can't create a subfolder if another subfolder with the same name exists in other folder. Please test it at least once to see what I mean. As I mentioned before - it doesn't matter which name you choose so for a test try "Beetlejuice" for a name folder - it is certainly not a C# keyword
                Last edited by gregid; 03-09-2016, 07:29 AM.

Comment

Hello,

Originally posted by gregid View Post
                  you can't create a subfolder if another subfolder with the same name exists in other folder.

Thank you for the reply and clarification. We were not doing the same test after all it appears. to reproduce this, it is required that you create two of the same name folder in two different categories.

I do see this and will report it.

Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Comment

These were simply 2 separate issues that somehow got merged into one (next time I will be more clear on the separation ). Thanks

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by MarianApalaghiei, Today, 10:49 PM
                    1 response
                    0 likes
                    Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
                    Started by love2code2trade, Yesterday, 01:45 PM
                    4 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post love2code2trade