Can't get Alert to fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't get Alert to fire

Trying to get an Alert when price comes within X ticks of 20 EMA line from ether side. I don't want to wait for the bar to close but get the alert when the price is hit. Don't know if that should be Bid or Ask, but it doesn't fire either when I use Close and wait for the bar close, so that setting isn't the problem.

If you could spell out the necessary conditions for me it would be appreciated.

Hello sgordet,

Thank you for writing in.

Rather than using "on bar close" for the alert's rearm type, you can utilize "on timer" instead. This will allow you to specify the number of seconds to elapse after the alarm was triggered to alarm again.

Zachary G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I was using the timer (600 seconds). For On Bar Close, I was referring to the Conditions page, not the Re-Arm. I can't get the Alert to trigger even once.

Comment

Hello sgordet,

Can you please attach a screenshot of your alert condition(s)?

To send a screenshot with Windows 7 or newer I would recommend using Window's Snipping Tool.

Click here for instructions

Alternatively to send a screenshot press Alt + PRINT SCREEN to take a screen shot of the selected window. Then go to Start--> Accessories--> Paint, and press CTRL + V to paste the image. Lastly, save as a jpeg file and send the file as an attachment.

Click here for detailed instruction

Comment

Here are the two Alerts dialogues. The goal is to have the Alert trigger if the price gets within 10 ticks on either side of the 20 EMA.

It looks like these links to the images on onedrive may not be clickable. I also sent you an email.

Comment

Hello sgordet,

In the screenshots you have provided, the alert will only trigger is the bid value, offset by 10 ticks, equals the current value of the EMA indicator.

This means that the EMA's value must equal the current bid offset by 10 ticks (for example, if the bid price was 17000 on the YM, a 10 tick offset would make that value 17010. The indicator's value has to be 17010 and only 17010 for your alert to fire).

If you would like the alert to be called if the last price of the instrument is within 10 ticks above or below the value of the indicator, you will need to set two alert conditions:
            • One condition to check if the close is less than or equal to the EMA indicator with a 10 tick offset
            • Another condition to check if the close is greater than or equal to the EMA indicator with a -10 tick offset

Ensure that the Alerts window is set to "If All" of the following conditions are met.
            Last edited by NinjaTrader_ZacharyG; 03-16-2016, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Thank you, Zachary.

The Alert fires now, but it only fires on bar close. Can I set this so that the Alert fires when price comes within X ticks on any tick, as opposed to only being evaluated on bar close?

Comment

Hello sgordet,

You will need to change the rearm type to something other than "on bar close".

If it is not set to "on bar close", what is it set to?

Comment

Right now, the re-arm is set to "never," but I hear it firing every few minutes on my tick chart. My conditions page has, facing the screen, on the left, Price Type "Close." with zero offset. Above it, is the YM data series (YM 06-16 288 Tick). On the right, below Indicators, EMA (YM 20), is General Bars ago 0, offset 10 ticks.

I think my problem is the "Close," since I want the Alert to fire as soon a sit gets within the 10 ticks.

Comment

Hello sgordet,

If your rearm is set to never, then it will only trigger once and never trigger again.

You will need to set this to "on timer". Then, specify a specific number of seconds in order for the alarm to trigger again. For example, setting this to one will allow the alarm to trigger every 1 second if the conditions are true.

Comment

I'm sorry, Zachary. I had forgot that I had set on timer to "never" because it was going off so frequently. If you could look at my just previous post for my other settings. It seems to me that it's waiting to first fire until a bar close as opposed to when it first gets within the 10 tick range on an individual tick. How do I do that?

Comment

thanks that helped me too

Comment

Hello sgordet,

Please take a look at the screenshots I have taken to see how I configured the alert.

With my settings, the alert will fire every second as long as the price of the YM instrument is within 10 ticks above or 10 ticks below the current indicator value.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, Zachary. That's tremendously helpful! I appreciate your taking the time to create the images.

1. If I don't want to wait until bar close, can I make the price type bid or ask? For my own edification, is the price that's continually updated on Ninja charts, the bid price or the ask price because that's the price that I'd like to set it to?

2. I'm planning to set up alerts for quite a few charts. Is there a global setting that I can use to pause the alert function when I'm not trading so I don't have the actions continuing to fire sounds?

3. I see the Alerts log. Is there also a log or report that shows all active alerts across all instruments and charts whether or not they've been triggered?

Thanks again,
                            Stephen

Comment

Hello sgordet,

Setting the price type to close does not mean the alert will only fire at the close of a bar. In this case, close is the last price. The alert will fire off every second in my example provided.

There isn't a global setting that can be enabled/disabled for alerts, however, I will be submitting this as a feature request.

There isn't a window that provides a list of all active alerts regardless of them being triggered or not; I will also be submitting this as a feature request.

Please, let us know if we may be of further assistance.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Aviram Y, Today, 05:29 AM
                              0 responses
                              1 view
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Aviram Y  
                              Started by quantismo, 04-17-2024, 05:13 PM
                              3 responses