Learning NT 7 vs NT 8 (Beta)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learning NT 7 vs NT 8 (Beta)?

Hi, thanks for taking the time to read my post.

I'm new to Ninja Trader and just downloaded the 8th version (Beta).
    I have previous experience coding in python doing very basic back testing, but I'm essentially starting new here since it's very different.

Question:
    For a beginner like myself, would you recommend I jump right into NT 8 and being learning the ins and outs? or should I opt for Ninja Trader 7? I have an idea for an algorithm that I'm trying to develop and Im curious where to start regarding this software.

Hard to say... But I would vote for NT8... It's getting close to being 'ready' for prime time... especially if you have a nice multi-core system with lots of ram..64 bit windows OS...

I started with NT6.5 but NT7 was coming out - it wasn't MUCH of a change as is NT7 to NT8 is...almost no real code changes..

But NT8 went to multi-threading, along with .NET 4.5.. and some internal changes... so the code is a lot more different.

Currently - I only run live with NT7... I've run only 1 replay test in NT7 since NT8 Beta1 release last June 2015? (That was only to verify that NT8 was at least "close" in results.. I wasn't expecting exact..but in the ballpark for 2 years worth of data).

NT8B11 should clean up a lot of issues in Beta10 related to replay.

Comment

Hello mwait,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums!

If you are new to trading I would recommend beginning with NinjaTrader 7 as this is a mature, well known product and will continue to be supported for a number of years. What you would learn in NT7 would translate to NinjaTrader 8 as part of the design of NinjaTrader 8 is to provide relatively the same look and feel. NinjaTrader 7 has a larger base of user training and reference materials available to assist with learning and using.

NinjaTrader8 is in beta which means we are looking for, finding and fixing bugs and making adjustments as identified by the beta testers. If you have no experience with NinjaTrader it may be more difficult for you to know how something works, if something is operating as expected or is a bug. The learning materials are also in beta and are less prolific. That said, you would find that the helpguide documentation is considerably improved in NT8 and provides more in depth information from a coding perspective.

You can download and use both on the same machine. It may be worth your time to start with NT7 and learn the functional use of the platform for trading, backtesting and general understanding and then expand your use to NT8 to develop your strategy and be able to take better advantage of the new features.
      Paul H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by Skifree, Today, 03:41 AM
      1 response
      0 likes
      Last Post Skifree
      by Skifree

Started by usazencort, Today, 01:16 AM
      0 responses