Switching workspaces resets totals in Control Center

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switching workspaces resets totals in Control Center

I'm not sure if this has been reported yet but I can't imagine why this would be "expected behavior."

I have only now had a reason to have more than one workspace going and I have two, both of which I run overnight. I have my main workspace with my charts and a test workspace which runs three charts I want to test things on. When I switch from my main workspace to the test workspace, the strategies tab gets reset for some unknown reason. It seems like you're resorting things but no columns are sorted to any intelligible method and the column I have it sorted on still has the sorting arrow pointed to where I had it but it isn't sorted like you'd expect - it's all jacked up. Furthermore, the totals from the trades overnight in the Realized column are reset to zero. I don't understand why that would happen and I don't understand why anything in the Control Center even needs to be touched when you simply switch from one workspace to another.

Hello traderpards, and thank you for your report.

I am attempting to reproduce this on my end using the following procedure :
    1. From a clean installation of NinjaTrader, create two workspaces, A and B
    2. Navigate to the Control Center -> Strategies tab
    3. Switch to workspace A
    4. Create a new chart in
    5. Load a strategy that places trades into the chart
    6. Capture the state of the strategies tab in an xml file
    7. Switch to workspace B
    8. Repeat steps 4-6
    9. Reset the database and destroy my workspaces
    10. Repeat steps 1-8, omitting step 4, and adding strategies to the control center

I will follow up with my results shortly.
    Jessica P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Jessica,

You don't have to do all that... Just:
      1. Create two workspaces.
      2. Create a couple of charts in each workspace and load them with strategies that will generate trades.
      3. When they both have finished trades in them with gains/losses that show up in the Realized column of the Control Center's Strategies tab, switch from one workspace to the other.

That's when you'll see the Realized column reset the totals to all zeroes and re-sort the columns to... I can't even tell what it's sorting by, if it's even sorting by anything. It might just be indiscriminately jacking it all up. But it's a guaranteed, always reproducible bug.

You might need to wait until tomorrow to get some market action that will generate trades since the market replay is unusable. Wait - you have access to version B11... Even better! You can try it in the market replay in version B11 and reproduce it there if you so desire.

Thanks! (This is really annoying...)

Comment

Hello traderpards, and thank you for your feedback.

Part of my procedure was designed to account for possible differences between entering a strategy through a chart, and entering a strategy through the control center. While these differences may not be as important from the user's perspective, isolating them will make it easier for us to fix anything on our end.

If you can think of any other places where it is possible to enter a strategy, it would be appreciated.

Comment

Hello again traderpards,

I was able to determine that in Beta 11, this query will be resolved, and this behavior will no longer occur, through both of the strategy entry methods that I have tested. If you see this behavior persist through the release of Beta 11, please let us know.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_JessicaP View Post
            Hello again traderpards,

I was able to determine that in Beta 11, this query will be resolved, and this behavior will no longer occur, through both of the strategy entry methods that I have tested. If you see this behavior persist through the release of Beta 11, please let us know.
            Thanks Jessica but I'm wondering if you quite understand the issue.

The issue has nothing to do with entering a strategy. It has to do with switching workspaces. Let's say you've had a few strategies running overnight in Workspace A and you see your results in the Strategies tab of the Control Center. Your strategies are already running, right? Then you want to see how some test strategies ran in the other workspace that were also already running. You started all the strategies six hours ago.

So before you switch, there are gains/losses in the Realized column - actual non-zero numbers. Then you switch workspaces and all of a sudden there are nothing but zeroes in the Realized column. The problem is the non-zeroes turning into zeroes in the Realized column, just by switching workspaces.

Were we on the same page after all?

Comment

Hello traderpards,

While I do believe we are on the same page, in case I am wrong, could you provide exported excel spreadsheets for the following :

• Your strategy tab from your first workspace, before switching
              • Your strategy tab from your second workspace, after switching
              • Your strategy tab from your first workspace, after switching back

You can enter trades from a chart - based strategy in both these workspaces for this test to be valid.

You can export any tab of the Control center to a spreadsheet by right-clicking on the chart, clicking "Export", and following the prompts that come up. I recommend browsing to your desktop before saving so your spreadsheet is easy to locate.

Comment

Sure, I'll do that in the morning when I get some trades to be zeroed out when I make the switch. Except all the trades from both workspaces are on the same Strategies tab, no matter which workspace is open... I'm not sure I would have designed it that way but it doesn't strike me as unreasonable either.

So what you'll get are two spreadsheets that show the strategies tab from before I switch and the strategies tab after I switch and I'll make a note that tells which strategies belong to which workspace.

Comment

Control Center output

Good morning Jessica,

Here are the Excel files, one before and one after switching workspaces. What's interesting is that I told you switching workspaces not only zeroes out the Realized column but it also re-sorts everything in an unintelligible manner. Except the export file shows it sorted the way I had it. (I guess you can tell they're resorted a little but they're resorted much worse - scrambled is the better word - in the Strategies tab.)

Comment

I'm getting "Invalid file" when I try to upload for some apparently dumb reason... I'll email them to you...

Comment

Hello, and thank you for your report. This behavior was confirmed on our end. We will be investigating this further. Please keep an eye on the NinjaTrader 8 Release Notes page for updates and bugfixes.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by sidlercom80, 10-28-2023, 08:49 AM
                      170 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post sidlercom80  
                      Started by Irukandji, Yesterday, 02:53 AM
                      2 responses
                      0 likes