Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tick Charts calculating differently between Continuum & Rithmic

Hello,

We have a mutual customer that has noted some interesting differences between his live NinjaTrader Brokerage account connected via Continuum on his local PC (based in San Diego), versus his TopstepTrader account connected to Rithmic (Paper Trading) via a VPS (located in Chicago).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	905528

The chart and time and sales windows on the left side of the screenshot are connected to Continuum, on the right side Rithmic. As you can see in the "Capture" screenshot image attached, identical time and sales are noted between both the Continuum and Rithmic connections and the "ticks remaining" noted on each chart are relatively close to one another, however these 800 tick CL charts are not drawing the same.

I suggested to the user that he "reload all historical data" for both his Continuum and Rithmic charts. After resetting historical data, both charts line up exactly with one another and the "ticks remaining" counters are equal to each other. (Which makes sense due to the fact that both connections reference the same source for historical data)

However, after about 3 or so minutes of running nearly at the same pace, the ticks on the Rithmic connection start running behind the Continuum connection, even though the Time and Sales windows on both connections update at nearly the exact same time.

After spending over an hour with this user on a screenshare, noticing the intricate differences and similarities between the two connections, I hypothesize that for some reason NT8 is not calculating ticks properly for the Rithmic connection. To test this hypothsis, I pulled up my NT7 testbed on my local computer, connected to Rithmic (paper trading) and set my charts to the exact same parameters as our mutual customer (CL market - 800 tick chart) and discovered that my tick chart calculation would eventually lag our customer's Continuum connection after about the same 3 minute interval, but would yet still be ahead of our customer's Rithmic connection tick count.

My question is, how are tick charts calculated differently between Continuum and Rithmic?

Please feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions about this issue. We really appreciate you guys taking the time to look into this.

Tim Fry
    Advanced Technical Support
    TopstepTrader
    312-489-8237
    [email protected]
    Attached Files

Without doing a detailed analysis the first item which would be different and the likely cause of what you're seeing is MDP 3.0 vs MDP 2.0.

For those of you not aware, last year globex updated their market data protocol (MDP) from 2.0 to 3.0. When they did this they started bundling trades based on aggressor. Rithmic made the decision to 'unbundle' and continuum passes through MDP 3.0 as the exchange sends it.

I did a quick google for supporting material and found this well put together article that you could take a look at: http://emini-watch.com/cme-changes-t...-mdp-3-0/6728/

Comment

Brett,

Thank you for the reply. That's very interesting. I do know that Rithmic offers the ability for it's users to connect to choose whether to connect to the "aggregated" data or non-aggregated data, via their R|Trader platform login options. Image attached:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	878670

Is there a way for users of NT8 to be able to select either aggregated or non-aggregated data when connecting to Rithmic?

Thanks,

Tim Fry
      Advanced Technical Support
      TopstepTrader
      312-489-8237
      [email protected]

Comment

Yes you can do this in the Connection > Configure dialog for the Rithmic connection. The 'system' property will have aggregated and non-aggregated connect points.

However to confuse matters further the setting you mention here actually won't help per my second hand knowledge. Since there is CME/exchange aggregation (MDP2.0 vs MDP 3.0) and then there is ISV (rithmic) aggregation on top of that. The setting you point out has to do with the later and wouldn't affect the former. However I suggest you contact rithmic support on that question directly to confirm what I'm saying. (If you don't already have a rithmic contact let me know at [email protected] ATTN: Brett and I can look to get you introduced)

-Brett

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by funk10101, Today, 12:02 AM
        1 response
        0 likes
        Last Post NinjaTrader_LuisH  
        Started by GLFX005, Today, 03:23 AM
        1 response
        0 likes