Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unable to deserialize message not helpful

I am using beta 12. When I start it up I get this error in the log tab:
    ERROR: Strategy '71037563': unable to deserialize user data: There is an error in XML document (56, 4).

The error does not tell me anything about what '71037563' is or where to find it.
    The error should tell me what file is being processed so I can determine where my error is.

Thanks,
    Gary Albers
    Last edited by GaryAlbers; 07-17-2016, 04:15 PM.

Hello Gary, and thank you for your question.

This is evidence that one of your .xml files contains data that is not properly encoded. The number you were given can not be used to uniquely identify an xml file. The following locations contain / are xml files :
    • bin/Custom/NinjaTrader.Custom.xml
    • Config.xml
    • db/messages/*.xml
    • templates/*/*.xml
    • UI.xml
    • workspaces/*.xml

Of these, you can safely delete db/messages/*.xml and workspaces/_Workspaces.xml completely.

For the rest of these, you may want to make a temporary folder on your desktop, close NinjaTrader, move a set of xml files (for example, all the xml files in a single folder) onto the temporary folder on your desktop, and restart NinjaTrader, to locate the xml file that is generating this message.

You may also use a publicly available tool such as the w3 schools xml validator, http://www.w3schools.com/xml/xml_validator.asp , to test each file to ensure it contains valid xml. Note that, even if a file contains valid xml, it may still have data that can not be serialized.

If you would like us to examine your xml files, please send us a zip archive with all of the above xml files to platformsupport at ninjatrader dot com , referencing this unique ID in the body of your e-mail :

If there is anything else we can do or there are any other questions we can answer, please do not hesitate to let us know.
    Last edited by NinjaTrader_JessicaP; 07-22-2016, 12:20 PM.
    Jessica P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

JessicaP,

Thanks for the helpful info on where to find my xml files. I will look into that.

However, the main reason I reported the error was because the error message itself could, and should, be improved in Ninja so that it was clear what file was being processed at the time of the error.
      Beta product right? Beta users provide feedback for improvements in usability, right?

Gary

Comment

Hello GaryAlbers,

I have submitted a feature request to the product management team for the following feature :

This customer would like the message that appears on xml files containing data that can not be read to include a full file path to the xml file being read

I will follow up with more information as soon as it's available. If the feature requests already exists, a vote will be added to it.

Please let us know if there are any other ways we can help.

Comment

I have the same error message only with strategy 66084092.

I went through your steps of moving all the xml files to a temporary area and it did not locate the offending file.

Add my vote to a more descriptive error message.

Comment

Hello mgregor,

If you went through the earlier steps and were unable to resolve your query, it may be that you will need to reset your database. To clean out your cache and reset your database :
            • Shut down NinjaTrader 8
            • Delete the contents of your (My) Documents\NinjaTrader 8\db\cache folder
            • Copy your (My) Documents\NinjaTrader 8\db\NinjaTrader.sdf file to (My) Documents\NinjaTrader 8\db\NinjaTrader.18AUG16.sdf
            • Restart NinjaTrader
            • Ensure you remain disconnected
            • Tools -> Database
            • Reset DB
            • Check both Historical Orders and Historical Executions
            • Reset
            • Yes
            • OK
            • Update Instruments
            • Check General Properties, Future Expiries, and Symbol Mappings
            • Update
            • Restart NinjaTrader 8

If this is not effective or there are any other question we may answer please let us know.

Comment

It looks like this worked... thank you.

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_JessicaP View Post
              Hello mgregor,

If you went through the earlier steps and were unable to resolve your query, it may be that you will need to reset your database. To clean out your cache and reset your database :
              • Shut down NinjaTrader 8
              • Delete the contents of your (My) Documents\NinjaTrader 8\db\cache folder
              • Copy your (My) Documents\NinjaTrader 8\db\NinjaTrader.sdf file to (My) Documents\NinjaTrader 8\db\NinjaTrader.18AUG16.sdf
              • Restart NinjaTrader
              • Ensure you remain disconnected
              • Tools -> Database
              • Reset DB
              • Check both Historical Orders and Historical Executions
              • Reset
              • Yes
              • OK
              • Update Instruments
              • Check General Properties, Future Expiries, and Symbol Mappings
              • Update
              • Restart NinjaTrader 8

If this is not effective or there are any other question we may answer please let us know.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by andrewtrades, Today, 04:57 PM
              1 response
              0 likes
              Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
              Started by chbruno, Today, 04:10 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post chbruno