Ticket 1541982 - NT8 B12 keep crashing on ncd file locked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jessica your suggestion

As far as I am concerned this is a Ninja 8 bug until someone able to convince me otherwise with logic and reason. I don't have backup program running, if FW would do such blocking this issue would be a lot lot more frequent... I have worked with commercial FWs before and they don't random check every few weeks, if this would be FW issue we wouldn't be able to use NT 8 at any time or at least most of the time... so go fix it and provide a release with the fix and stop trying to push everything back to users.

atata
    ps.: had a few emails on this very same subject with some of your colleges and makes me tired seeing the same/similar ideas instead of a solution

Comment

Hello atata,

Since we can not see the same thing on our computers as you are seeing on yours, would it be possible to schedule a remote support session with you? This would let us gather some more information from your system directly.

If this is possible, I would like to ask if you could send all the following to platformsupport[at]ninjatrader[dot]com , with attn:ninjatrader_jessicaP and 1545409 in the subject :

• A phone number where you can be reached
      • A time window where I can call you (please include a time zone) our regular support hours are 8:30am to 6pm US Eastern, Monday through Friday.
      • Shortly before our call, please launch our remote support application (TeamViewer). There are 2 ways you can do this.

Please do not post that information in the forums. If e-mail will not work you can private message me in the forums and I will add it to our tracking ticket.

I look forward to assisting further.
      Jessica P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by FMtrader View Post
        Hello Jessica

Started in safe mode (64 bit RC1) with new blank workspace.
        1. Loaded 100 range AUDUSD chart with 25 days data (no indicators)
        2. Connected FXCM and waited for connection to fully establish.
        3. Reloaded historical data first time with no problems.
        4. Then reloaded historical data a second time (approx 1 minute later) and freeze occurred. Got the "Unhandled exception" log message that the .ncd file was being used by another process.
        5. Repeated all the above but with only 7 days loaded and was able to reload historical data twice OK but failed the third time.
        Further to the above I ran some additional tests early Saturday morning (US time) when the FOREX markets were closed but the FXCM data connection was still available. I have the check box ticked for the NinjaTrader historical data server in the FXCM connection.

Despite numerous reloads of historical data on a wide range of FOREX pairs I was unable to recreate the ".ncd file is being used by another process" problem. This is in complete contrast to when the markets were open the previous day and I could create the problem almost at will.

Does this suggest some conflict issue when receiving historical and live data concurrently?

Comment

Further to the above I ran some additional tests early Saturday morning (US time) when the FOREX markets were closed but the FXCM data connection was still available. I have the check box ticked for the NinjaTrader historical data server in the FXCM connection.

Despite numerous reloads of historical data on a wide range of FOREX pairs I was unable to recreate the ".ncd file is being used by another process" problem. This is in complete contrast to when the markets were open the previous day and I could create the problem almost at will.

Does this suggest some conflict issue when receiving historical and live data concurrently?

Latest Update
          The problem returned when FX markets opened again.

I then told my anti virus program (Kaspersky Internet Security) to not scan any NT8 files but still got the problem.

I then shut down numerous programs that run in the background including Acronis true image but still got the problem.

One thing I have noticed is that the first time I reload historical data I don't always get the problem but if I the reload the second time it nearly always crashes.

Also deleted all NT8 db files in documents directory and reloaded all data again but problem returned immediately.

Not sure what more I can try?
          Last edited by FMtrader; 09-25-2016, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Latest Update

open Resource Monitor (through task manager) and look for anything that tries to access the .ncd file under the disk group. (I assume that's what your issue still is).

Comment

Originally posted by sledge View Post

open Resource Monitor (through task manager) and look for anything that tries to access the .ncd file under the disk group. (I assume that's what your issue still is).

Thanks for the suggestion. As far as I can see the only thing accessing the .ncd files is "System" which I presume means Windows components. I am running the very latest windows 10 pro update version 1607 but did see this issue on the previous level.

I have shut down just about everything I can in the background to reduce the chance of any other program trying to access these files but still get the problem. I have noticed that over the last 2 hours of running various trials with a barebones system the problem does seem to occur a little less often. It now can take 4 or more reloads to get the problem to occur.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. As far as I can see the only thing accessing the .ncd files is "System" which I presume means Windows components. I am running the very latest windows 10 pro update version 1607 but did see this issue on the previous level.
                I see you configured kapersky to not scan those folders.

Did you do the same for Windows defender?

Comment

I see you configured kapersky to not scan those folders.

Did you do the same for Windows defender?

Windows defender is permanently turned off as I don't use it. I manually use another program at regular intervals which is not resident.

Comment

Hello FMTrader and atata,

Are either of you by chance using OneDrive? FMTrader would it also be possible for you to use the instructions I sent atata to initiate a remote support session?

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_JessicaP View Post
                    Hello atata,

Since we can not see the same thing on our computers as you are seeing on yours, would it be possible to schedule a remote support session with you? This would let us gather some more information from your system directly.

If this is possible, I would like to ask if you could send all the following to platformsupport[at]ninjatrader[dot]com , with attn:ninjatrader_jessicaP and 1545409 in the subject :

• A phone number where you can be reached
                    • A time window where I can call you (please include a time zone) our regular support hours are 8:30am to 6pm US Eastern, Monday through Friday.
                    • Shortly before our call, please launch our remote support application (TeamViewer). There are 2 ways you can do this.

Please do not post that information in the forums. If e-mail will not work you can private message me in the forums and I will add it to our tracking ticket.

I look forward to assisting further.
                    Jessica P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Jessica, thanks for the offer however I don't see any value in having the session with me. I'd have you rather focus on FMTrader.

thanks,

atata

Comment

if I may suggest keep it simple...

Latest Update
                        The problem returned when FX markets opened again.

I then told my anti virus program (Kaspersky Internet Security) to not scan any NT8 files but still got the problem.

I then shut down numerous programs that run in the background including Acronis true image but still got the problem.

One thing I have noticed is that the first time I reload historical data I don't always get the problem but if I the reload the second time it nearly always crashes.

Also deleted all NT8 db files in documents directory and reloaded all data again but problem returned immediately.

FMTrader, you shall keep your trading computer lean not having too many things especially running. ex.: Are you using Acronis for regular backup? I don't backup my machine only the little data I care about also doing it manually. I use Acronis with a bootable disk to create a "copy" of the disk of my c drive to another disk. Also my c drive is "only" 180 GBytes and not much data on it, just applications... well NT stuff but that is pretty much all. I do have a 4TBytes d: "data" disk for anything else also for Ninja backups.

Because of security I regularly "rebuild" my machine, just using the Acronis image to go back to square one.

Hope this helps.

atata

Comment

may I suggest "process explorer"

or if you are more tech savvy and if you have not used yet I suggest to get familier with Microsoft's most comprehensive tool available for such things https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...sexplorer.aspx

good luck,

atata

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_JessicaP View Post
                            Hello FMTrader and atata,

Are either of you by chance using OneDrive? FMTrader would it also be possible for you to use the instructions I sent atata to initiate a remote support session?

I am not using OneDrive. I will send you an email about other options. My time zone is 13.5 hours ahead of US Eastern which isn't optimum for a remote support session.

Comment

Originally posted by atata View Post
                              or if you are more tech savvy and if you have not used yet I suggest to get familier with Microsoft's most comprehensive tool available for such things https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...sexplorer.aspx

good luck,

atata
                              Looks like it would be worthwhile for me to become proficient with this program as it might save me a lot of time in the longer run. I have lost count of the time I have spent in trying to get to the bottom of all the various NT8 issues starting at beta 1.

Comment

Are you on the Aussie FXCM servers?????? You might want to change to US servers.
                                I am trying to run a Demo for data. hoping to reduce my freezing.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by f.saeidi, Today, 11:02 AM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post f.saeidi  
                                Started by geotrades1, Today, 10:02 AM
                                3 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post NinjaTrader_BrandonH