Ticket 1541982 - NT8 B12 keep crashing on ncd file locked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ticket 1541982 - NT8 B12 keep crashing on ncd file locked

Had a crash again this morning trying to change the instrument from ES to CL...
    I went to debug mode and VS and process explorer are showing the NT is locking the file... so not sure what is going on and no progress so far on this issue... I did want to bring it here see if anybody else is having the same/similar or just me. see attached for details.

atata
    Attached Files
    Last edited by atata; 07-18-2016, 08:11 AM.

Hello atata,

According to the release notes page for NT8 Beta 12, http://ninjatrader.com/support/helpG...s/8_0_0_12.htm , there were some recent improvements related to racing and locking. I would like to ask, are you able to reproduce what you saw with NT8 Beta 12 ?
    Jessica P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

JessicaP, sorry not quite sure what are you asking for... I had the same problems with B11 and now in B12.

atata

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_JessicaP View Post
        Hello atata,

According to the release notes page for NT8 Beta 12, http://ninjatrader.com/support/helpG...s/8_0_0_12.htm , there were some recent improvements related to racing and locking. I would like to ask, are you able to reproduce what you saw with NT8 Beta 12 ?
        I searched on race and lock and turned up nothing relevant. This doesn't relate to FXCM.

Can you be more specific? Thanks.

Comment

Does it happen without VS?

Comment

Nop, I don't use VS just when it crashes I have an "offer" from Windows if I want to debug it or not... I am trading when this happens no dev efforts if that is what you were wondering.

gl, atata

Comment

Hello atata,

If you were able to reproduce this in Beta 12, we will need to determine if any programs other than Ninja are attempting to use this data. Please perform the following steps and let us know if you encounter any difficulties, or if there are any other questions we may answer.

• Force all ninjatrader processes to quit by holding down the windows key (2 keys to the left of space) and the letter r at the same time and typing this into the window that comes up :

taskkill /f /im NinjaTrader.exe
              • Move these folders from (My) Documents\NinjaTrader 8\db to your desktop : daily, minute, tick
              • Restart NinjaTrader 8

It is possible this by itself will resolve your query, and no instrument will be lost through this process. If any programs other than NinjaTrader are attempting to use this data, such as antivirus software, you will be unable to move these folders onto your desktop, and we will be able to assist further.

Comment

Think I am getting a similar problem to atata on RC1.

I have been using range based FOREX charts (eg AUDUSD) and connecting to FXCM.

When I reconnect to FXCM I often notice missing chart bars so I attempt to reload historical data at which point NT freezes. I get the log message that the relevant .ncd file is being used by another process.

After many hours of work I believe the cause in my case was one particular indicator. It is a voume profile type indicator and I was investigating whether it would give me useful information from the tick volume that is fed to NT from FXCM. It would appear that this indicator was locking the tick based .ncd file and possibly preventing the chart from accessing the file. Removing the indicator also solved the missing data issue when first connecting to FXCM.

Comment

Originally posted by FMtrader View Post
                  Think I am getting a similar problem to atata on RC1.

I have been using range based FOREX charts (eg AUDUSD) and connecting to FXCM.

When I reconnect to FXCM I often notice missing chart bars so I attempt to reload historical data at which point NT freezes. I get the log message that the relevant .ncd file is being used by another process.

After many hours of work I believe the cause in my case was one particular indicator. It is a voume profile type indicator and I was investigating whether it would give me useful information from the tick volume that is fed to NT from FXCM. It would appear that this indicator was locking the tick based .ncd file and possibly preventing the chart from accessing the file. Removing the indicator also solved the missing data issue when first connecting to FXCM.

Hmmm.... think this issue is more complex than I first thought! I have now had NT8 freeze again with the same problem as above even though the initial problem indicator has been removed. It appears that the number of days loaded might also contribute to the issue. Clearly more work required to get to the bottom of this.

Comment

Thank you very much for your report, FMTrader. I would like to try to narrow this down to either custom NinjaScript or data loading. Would it be possible for you to start Ninja in safe mode, and then to ask you to see if you are able to reload your historical AUDUSD data?

Safe Mode will prevent NinjaTrader from:
                    • Loading workspaces.
                    • Connecting on start-up.
                    • Loading custom assemblies.
                    • Getting instrument updates from the server.

To enable safe mode, please use the following steps:
                    • Exit NinjaTrader.
                    • Hold the CONTROL key and double click the NinjaTrader icon.
                    • Keep the CONTROL key held down until you see the Control Center.
                    • You can verify you are in safe mode by going to Help -> About.

Comment

Thank you very much for your report, FMTrader. I would like to try to narrow this down to either custom NinjaScript or data loading. Would it be possible for you to start Ninja in safe mode, and then to ask you to see if you are able to reload your historical AUDUSD data?

Safe Mode will prevent NinjaTrader from:
                      • Loading workspaces.
                      • Connecting on start-up.
                      • Loading custom assemblies.
                      • Getting instrument updates from the server.

To enable safe mode, please use the following steps:
                      • Exit NinjaTrader.
                      • Hold the CONTROL key and double click the NinjaTrader icon.
                      • Keep the CONTROL key held down until you see the Control Center.
                      • You can verify you are in safe mode by going to Help -> About.

Hello Jessica

Started in safe mode (64 bit RC1) with new blank workspace.
                      1. Loaded 100 range AUDUSD chart with 25 days data (no indicators)
                      2. Connected FXCM and waited for connection to fully establish.
                      3. Reloaded historical data first time with no problems.
                      4. Then reloaded historical data a second time (approx 1 minute later) and freeze occurred. Got the "Unhandled exception" log message that the .ncd file was being used by another process.
                      5. Repeated all the above but with only 7 days loaded and was able to reload historical data twice OK but failed the third time.

Comment

Thank you once more FMtrader, it should be very easy for us to see the same thing on our end at this point. I would like to ask one last favor, could you

• visit Tools -> Export -> Historical Data
                        • Select your instrument, a date range from January 1st to Today, Tick Interval, and Last Data Type selected
                        • Export -> Save
                        • Browse to the exported file in Windows -> Right-click -> Send To -> Compressed (zipped) folder

Could you then send us the resulting file in an e-mail to platformsupport[at]ninjatrader[dot]com , with attn:ninjatrader_jessicap and referencing this unique ID : 1545409

If the zip file is larger than 10 MB, you may need to select a narrower date range. If that is the case, please let us know what date range you selected in your e-mail.

Thank you one more for your report

Comment

Thank you once more FMtrader, it should be very easy for us to see the same thing on our end at this point. I would like to ask one last favor, could you

• visit Tools -> Export -> Historical Data
                          • Select your instrument, a date range from January 1st to Today, Tick Interval, and Last Data Type selected
                          • Export -> Save
                          • Browse to the exported file in Windows -> Right-click -> Send To -> Compressed (zipped) folder

Could you then send us the resulting file in an e-mail to platformsupport[at]ninjatrader[dot]com , with attn:ninjatrader_jessicap and referencing this unique ID : 1545409

If the zip file is larger than 10 MB, you may need to select a narrower date range. If that is the case, please let us know what date range you selected in your e-mail.

Thank you one more for your report
                          Just tried to send you the email. File size is 9.2MB but keep getting a message that SMTP server has timed out. Will try a smaller date range and see what happens

Comment

Thank you. We have received your historical data. I will reply shortly once I have investigated on my end.

Comment

Hello FMtrader,

After testing with your historical data and several scenarios, I have reason to believe that we may be looking at something local to your system. I would like to recommend reviewing the advice I gave to atata above, and the advice given in this thread,

Please let us know if there are any other ways we can help.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Christopher_R, Today, 12:29 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Christopher_R  
                              Started by sidlercom80, 10-28-2023, 08:49 AM
                              166 responses
                              0 likes