Ticket 1541982 - NT8 B12 keep crashing on ncd file locked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by radicaltrader View Post
    Are you on the Aussie FXCM servers?????? You might want to change to US servers.
    I am trying to run a Demo for data. hoping to reduce my freezing.
    Well it was worth a try! I signed up to a US based Ninja FXCM demo account and compared that to an account from FXCM Australia. NT8 crashed with both accounts when attempting to reload historical data. Exactly the same error message regarding the .ncd files

The crashes also occur on both time based and range based charts(tick data).

I then loaded exactly the same chart on NT7 and was unable to get it to crash despite reloading 20 times in quick succession. I also noticed that the reloading on data on NT7 is very much faster than on NT8.

Comment

Originally posted by atata View Post
      FMTrader, you shall keep your trading computer lean not having too many things especially running. ex.: Are you using Acronis for regular backup? I don't backup my machine only the little data I care about also doing it manually. I use Acronis with a bootable disk to create a "copy" of the disk of my c drive to another disk. Also my c drive is "only" 180 GBytes and not much data on it, just applications... well NT stuff but that is pretty much all. I do have a 4TBytes d: "data" disk for anything else also for Ninja backups.

Because of security I regularly "rebuild" my machine, just using the Acronis image to go back to square one.

Hope this helps.

atata
      My C drive is a 120 GB SSD with minimal data and like you is predominantly for applications. I have configured windows to have my documents directory on another drive so this means that the NT8 application and NT8 database files are on different drives. I have started to wonder if this is not wise as the document drive is not as fast as the SSD (and with NT both drives are being frequently accessed). I have the same arrangement with NT7 and haven't experienced any major problems up to now.
      I run Acronis in the background and have a number of different backup routines including data and disk images which are sent to external raid drives. In analysing this ongoing .ncd file issue I have manually shut down literally everything possible (including Acronis) in the background in order to have the absolute minimum number of programs running but still get the NT8 crashes.

Comment

Originally posted by FMtrader View Post
        Well it was worth a try! I signed up to a US based Ninja FXCM demo account and compared that to an account from FXCM Australia. NT8 crashed with both accounts when attempting to reload historical data. Exactly the same error message regarding the .ncd files

The crashes also occur on both time based and range based charts(tick data).

I then loaded exactly the same chart on NT7 and was unable to get it to crash despite reloading 20 times in quick succession. I also noticed that the reloading on data on NT7 is very much faster than on NT8.
        fingers crossed mate hope you can find your issue quicker than me... mine has been bugging me for over 12 months now.

Comment

Hello atata, radicaltrader, and FMtrader, and thank you once again for your reports.

While this behavior has not yet been confirmed on our end, we were able to successfully rule out all other known causes, and will be treating this as a bug. I believe with the information FMTrader has sent us we have all the information we will require, if we need anything else we will mention it in this thread. We will be investigating this further. Please keep an eye on the NinjaTrader 8 Release Notes page for updates and bugfixes.

Jessica P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

somewhat similar setup

Originally posted by FMtrader View Post
            My C drive is a 120 GB SSD with minimal data and like you is predominantly for applications. I have configured windows to have my documents directory on another drive so this means that the NT8 application and NT8 database files are on different drives. I have started to wonder if this is not wise as the document drive is not as fast as the SSD (and with NT both drives are being frequently accessed). I have the same arrangement with NT7 and haven't experienced any major problems up to now.
            I run Acronis in the background and have a number of different backup routines including data and disk images which are sent to external raid drives. In analysing this ongoing .ncd file issue I have manually shut down literally everything possible (including Acronis) in the background in order to have the absolute minimum number of programs running but still get the NT8 crashes.
            I have a somewhat similar setup however my NT instances are installed on the SSD drive.
            No I did not think any of the other stuff would make any difference since my experience is the same as yours on the same machine using the same data-feed NT 7 fine not sweat, NT 8 keep having issues with one of the 2 major problems either a run away mem leak or ncd lock up and I am using relative very simplistic features...

Having NT installed on a different drive should not make much difference anyway nothing humanly noticeable if the OS and the rest of the hardware pretty new...
            ex.: I have 12 logical procs, 16GB RAM, 170 GB SSD, 4TB HD, 64 bit Windows 8.1. My CPU runs around 20% utilization, memory 55%, disks basically 0% so I have a lots of room if things would heat up in the market.

atata

Comment

Great news!!!

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_JessicaP View Post
              Hello atata, radicaltrader, and FMtrader, and thank you once again for your reports.

While this behavior has not yet been confirmed on our end, we were able to successfully rule out all other known causes, and will be treating this as a bug. I believe with the information FMTrader has sent us we have all the information we will require, if we need anything else we will mention it in this thread. We will be investigating this further. Please keep an eye on the NinjaTrader 8 Release Notes page for updates and bugfixes.

http://ninjatrader.com/support/helpG...ease_notes.htm
              Jessica, I am glad that our issue made it to the bug list!

atata

Comment

Another thread with ncd file locked

atata and FMtrader:

I suggest you look at http://ninjatrader.com/support/forum...ad.php?t=86314, which describes other issues with locked ncd files.

In my case, the problem occurred only with "Record live data as historical" checked. So, you might verify whether that option is checked and uncheck it if you do have it checked.

My issue was very repeatable one day, but almost impossible to reproduce after that. I believe it is due to different threads of NT locking the ncd file without communicating with one another (one of those threads invoking "Record live data as historical").

Good luck in getting your problem solved.

Comment

Originally posted by rmt81 View Post
                  atata and FMtrader:

I suggest you look at http://ninjatrader.com/support/forum...ad.php?t=86314, which describes other issues with locked ncd files.

In my case, the problem occurred only with "Record live data as historical" checked. So, you might verify whether that option is checked and uncheck it if you do have it checked.

My issue was very repeatable one day, but almost impossible to reproduce after that. I believe it is due to different threads of NT locking the ncd file without communicating with one another (one of those threads invoking "Record live data as historical").

Good luck in getting your problem solved.
                  Thanks for the suggestion regarding the "record live data as historical" option. I unchecked the box and reloaded FXCM historical data about 10 times in a row without any crashes. I then checked the box and immediately afterwards NT8 crashed when reloading historical data. On reading the link you posted it is clear that this ncd locked file issue and the potential cause has been known about for a while. Had I read that thread earlier I would have saved myself a lot of time looking for the cause!

Comment

Hello, and thank you for your report. This behavior was confirmed on our end. We will be investigating this further. Please keep an eye on the NinjaTrader 8 Release Notes page for updates and bugfixes.

Jessica P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by ghoul, Today, 06:02 PM
                    2 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post ghoul
                    by ghoul

Started by jeronymite, 04-12-2024, 04:26 PM
                    3 responses