NT 8 B12 mem leak - overnight ~5GB memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT 8 B12 mem leak - overnight ~5GB memory

Hi there, not sure what on earth happened overnight but no changes to my workspace and this morning I had to kill NT 8 B12 again...
    My current setup which in a sense is less complicated than my NT 7 setup /and NT 7 runs just fine compare to NT 8/ uses ~550 - 600 MB according to "Task Manager". I am sure I've had NT 8 restarted sometimes yesterday and by this early morning ~7:30 AM EST the memory usage went up to just over 5 GB.
    As a first step I've tried to exit but was not happening in a usual rapid way therefore after a couple minutes I've just killed the beast from within process explorer. Before the kill I've created a full dump file via process explorer if anyone interested.

Unfortunately "killing the beast" is becoming a daily routine for me which is very unfortunate. Either with changing a property or an .ncd file lock up or memory leak gone wild...

I'd like my current workspace /with which I am trying to "duplicate" my NT 7 setup however not quite there yet/ therefore I expect this to get working in NT 8.

I'd also like if a senior level NT coder/architect would work with me to get to the root cause of these issues because I am a bit tired of mailing my log files every day without any meaningful recommendations.

Thanks,

atata

Hello atata,

So we can further diagnose your system, please restart NinjaTrader in Safe Mode before you stop trading tonight, and before you leave your computer running as you have been.

Safe Mode will prevent NinjaTrader from:
    • Loading workspaces.
    • Connecting on start-up.
    • Loading custom assemblies.
    • Getting instrument updates from the server.

To enable safe mode, please use the following steps:
    • Exit NinjaTrader.
    • Hold the CONTROL key and double click the NinjaTrader icon.
    • Keep the CONTROL key held down until you see the Control Center.
    • You can verify you are in safe mode by going to Help -> About.

This will make it easier to determine which NinjaTrader components are causing this behavior on your system.
    Jessica P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Jessica, I'll do tonight what you asked me to with the following comments.

1/ I can't recreate the issues I am having at will and this is why I am asking for a senior support to setup up a "trap" to catch any of these events when they occur. All I can say at one point during the day something most likely will happen. Sometimes I have a couple, 3, 4 days going by with no issues.

2/ I suspect NT 8 B12 with NO workspace nothing added will work just fine. Even earlier versions were working very stable without anything loaded... however than what is the point having NT?

3/ I have a lots of hardware resources /12 proc, 16 GB mem, Intel SSD/ therefore it is very unlikely that would be an issue... and the proof of that NT 7 runs just fine... no sweat.

atata

Comment

Hello atata,

I appreciate your concerns. While I agree running Ninja in safe mode, without any custom NinjaScript will likely not produce any memory leaks tomorrow morning, this will dramatically reduce the solution space.

To save time, could I also ask that you send me a snapshot of your NT8 system? You can do this by going to the Control Center-> Help-> Email Support.
        Please reference the following ticket number in the body of the email: 1547318
        IMPORTANT: Please also tick all the boxes in the "Other Files" section.

Comment

upload failed

Jessica, upload failed. see attached for error. No disk space?

NT 8 B12 running in "safe" mode. Earlier versions with not as much loaded were working fine... I am sure with this exercise we won't achieve anything... by the way since the morning restart - when the memory going bizarre - with the same configuration I did not encounter any issues.

atata
          Attached Files

Comment

Hello again atata,

If Ninja has run successfully in safe mode with no memory leaks, this indicates that there is something in one of your workspaces that is causing a memory leak. This means that you will likely need to rebuild your workspace. I would recommend creating a single chart which has all your custom indicators and strategies applied to it. Should this chart work correctly, this will mean that your workspace itself is the source of the memory leak, and recreating your workspace will resolve your query. Otherwise, you will then need to destroy this chart, and re-create a chart with half your indicators and strategies, and repeat this process based on the presence or absence of a leak until you have identified the indicators and strategies that are causing a memory leak.

Please let us know if there are any other ways we may help.

Comment

escalate this

Jessica,

I am frustrated with the process... to say the least.

I am done with this back and forth until I got a senior level stuff on this case.

My expectation from this person, that he/she shall provide tools/steps how to trap/create logs which will pin point why crashes, memory leaks do happen.

As far as I am concerned if a C# code using your extremely vague guidelines is able to crash your "framework" than that framework has some serious flaws and has to be fixed.
              Ex.: NT 7 has a pretty good framework however NT 8 DOES NOT!

atata

p.s.: of course the "safe" mode did not bring anything, from yesterday morning /after NT 8 restart/ till the evening was no memory leaks at all, and for the last few hours since NT 8 is running out of safe no visible mem leak...
              Last edited by atata; 07-22-2016, 08:44 AM. Reason: adding additional info

Comment

Hello atata,

Thank you for your response.

Safe Mode would likely not produce the behavior you have seen. In the idea of breaking down the workspace I would lean more towards finding which object added to the chart or workspace would then result in memory leaks. It would be a process of elimination and as you stated it is not reproducible each time and therefore it could be a long process to decipher.

During the beta process we would look for specific cases that can cause performance issues. If you know of the specific code that would cause such a memory leak, would you be prepared to allow us to test it on our end?

Understand that we would not have a developer set up a custom collection for this specific use case on your PC and would rather collect all relevant information for report and any files that may assist in re-creation.

I look forward to your response.

Comment

no problemo

Patrick, that is perfectly fine with me...

None of the stuff I use have any secret sauce to it. Two of the indicators are on your website however I think 1 is on futures.io for premium members only.

Later tonight I'll send my workspace - which one I am using - and the indicators I am using as well via the built in mail system.

regards,

atata

Comment

Patrick, email sent with more details and attached the custom indis I've downloaded from NT download or futures.io download.

subject line: post468155 - attn: PatrickH

atata

Comment

Yap memory leak is with my current setup is reproducible.

Twice had to restart today. In the morning with ~5.7 GB, and now after ~6 hours running it is at ~3 GB.

atata

Comment

Thank you, atata.

We will continue to run with the information and files you provided.

Comment

Patrick, what is the status? I've got a couple of memory leaks without the Bid/Ask indicator. So mem leak does not come as often however it does even with everyday restarting it twice from other reasons.

Few minutes ago I've got a different issue... "System.NullReferenceException occurred in the NinjaTrader.Core.dll"

atata
                          Attached Files

Comment

Thank you, atata.

No updates here as I have been able to run the workspace over the last two days without issue.

Are you running any backtesting in the Strategy Analyzer and editing your strategies throughout the day?

Comment

In addition, who do you connect to for data?

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Barry Milan, Yesterday, 10:35 PM
                              5 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
                              Started by DanielSanMartin, Yesterday, 02:37 PM
                              2 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post DanielSanMartin