Collapse

NT 8 B12 mem leak - overnight ~5GB memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rithmic connection, NO back testing, NO strategy analyzer, nothing just charts with the indicators and trading. I could reproduce it easy enough on my machine if you guys give me some tools and steps... I don't have time right now to research how I could do it on my own...

atata

Comment

nevermind - you added it

Comment

NT 8 B12 - Another crash this morning...

I was trying to change instruments on my multi time frame chart setup and got the infamous .ncd locked up error...

Comment

Thank you for the additional information, atata.

We will update this thread when we have any information.

Comment

Hello atata,

Thank you for your patience.

Can you try the following steps to see if you can remove the memory leak from NinjaTrader 8?
            • Start by making a copy of your workspace by going to the NinjaTrader Control Center > hover over your workspaces > select Save As > give the workspace a new name. Your old workspace will be closed.
            • Now begin by removing a third party indicator and then testing for the memory leak.
            • If no leak is found remove another third party indicator.
            • Third party indicator package sin your install include JigsawToolsNT8 and PriceSquawkV4.

This systematic approach of removing the files one by one would be required to discover the cause of the memory leak. If you get to the point where all third party objects are removed and still you have memory leaks please save your new workspace and send it over to us for further investigation.

We appreciate your assistance in this matter.

Comment

Patrick, what is the best way to uninstall both?

Jigsaw is a standalone install and I am using it via NT 7.

The 2 indicator package you've mentioned I am not using it with NT 8.

Interesting enough I did not have a memory leak ever since, however I don't have still the bid/ask stuff on NT 8 charts...

atata

Comment

Hello atata,

Thank you for your response.

You do not have any custom indicators on your charts in NinjaTrader 8?

I was asking if you could systematically remove the custom NinjaScript objects in your workspace in NinjaTrader 8 one by one and test.

Comment

Patrick, I won't remove anymore indis from my charts... As an update, I did not have any memory leak since the last one with my current setup. I am going add back though the bid/ask delta, which was always causing a mem leak it seemed.

atata

Comment

RC1 still way to unreliable - mem leak taking it from ~500 MB to 8.4 GB

Well, memory leak is not gone with RC1... see attached.
                    I don't know how to say it nicely... If you can't/don't want to recreate my env. why not to provide me the tools and the steps how do you want to trap this issue... you keep rolling out versions not fixing looks like to me fundamental issues with NT 8... and that is just not smart.
                    Again, NT 7 compare to NT 8 RC1 is rock solid on the same machine using the same data feed.

See attached.

atata
                    ps.: yesterday morning last I've looked at was ~500MB this morning as per screen capture 8.4GB
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hello atata,

Thank you for your note.

Were you able to try systematically removing NinjaScript objects and testing the memory usage?

I am trying to see what you are detailing as the cause of this item, have you found the cause behind this?

Comment

NinjaTrader_PatrickH, we are not getting anywhere. Your suggestion is not workable for me. Read the thread and you may figure out on your own why. I've already mentioned more than once how could we crack this issue. So far I did not get a clear answer why my suggestion can not be done?! So either I get some "suggestion", "instructions" makes sense to me or I stop wasting my time!

Here I'll try again. You can NOT recreate the mem leak in your environment with my settings/workspace.
                        If this is still the case most likely because you don't use the same Intel proc, the same Sabertooth mother board, the same Intel SSD, the same NVDIA cards, the same Windows 8.1 enterprise install etc... and I understand it would be hard to build a machine to match mine. THEREFORE I AM OFFERING TO TRAP THIS FUNDAMENTAL BUG WITH NT 8 ON MY MACHINE. Why I am sure this a bug within NT 8 because NT 7 works just fine. So either you start to work with me along that line or someone more senior or I just stop wasting my time.

Hope that clears the mud for now!

atata

Comment

atata,

Just an update - I have spent some time working to reproduce your memory leak since you reported is still a problem in RC1. I cannot say with confidence that I have it isolated, but I have reproduced in a development environment.

The bad news is, I can only reproduce with the indicators you provided. I have tried looking at the BidAsk indicator you've suggested but cannot identify anything immediately

Unfortunately, these types of memory issues are not so easy when there is 3rd party code involved which we do not author. At this time, I am not quite certain what in particular is exposing this issue, but I do have my eye on the thread and will be working on and off as I find the time. If I can isolate the problem and provide you a solution due to 3rd party code, I will let you know. Otherwise, if there is a memory leak in the framework which these indicators have exposed, I will let you know by providing a tracking ID.

To be perfectly clear, it is not possible to provide what you are asking. In order to run a memory profile at the level required to identify this memory leak, we need to use our source code, which we are unable to install on your machine. The only thing we would be able to do on your machine is to remove indicators one at a time to see if you can isolate one in particular that appears to impact memory performance. This is not a service we normally provide for 3rd party code, and would be up to the 3rd parties to identify problems with their code - I am only doing this for you out of good faith to ensure that we have uncovered every stone possible during this release candidate and I will do my due diligence should I find any problems with our code base.

On your end, I would also mirror Patrick's advice and suggest you spend some more time altering your setup to see what you can isolate. I would start by reviewing any code which might be doing any every rendering and using custom brushes, or indicators which may be liberal with their use of DrawingTools.
                          MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

deleting this one

duplicated
                            Last edited by atata; 09-09-2016, 08:54 AM. Reason: duplicated

Comment

thanks for your response!

NinjaTrader_Matthew,

this is the kind of communication should have been given a lot sooner, saving some frustration on my part. Thank you very much! I will remove the bid/ask indicator and see what happens, however that still does not explain why this mem leak seems to be random, what triggers it why NT8 goes wild.
                              Currently I can not reproduce the mem leak issue at will. Meaning since I've restarted NT 8 with a kill yesterday morning the same setup did not cause any issues.

With latest B version it was a time I could reproduce it seemed at will having the bid/ask on. I have removed it yet later I did get memory leak again without the bid/ask indicator, mind you not as frequent though. A couple of weeks later I did put back the Bid/Ask and in a week or so running I did not get any memory leak using the same NT 8 B version as before... go figure, than Rc1 came out.

I do understand not wanting install your source code, however how about either using a 3rd party tool or write your own to trap such issues. I guess you already came across this idea and looking at how long the development cycle took so far to design/code NT 8 somehow I can't imagine this alternative being not feasible.

here is my thinking, if a third party door handle can brake the engine in a car than I would not blame the door handle I'd rather try to modify the engine design... I know this is simplification of the issue and the analogy of a car does not fit coding, yet I firmly believe the behavior I am experiencing with NT 8 compare to NT 7 or Multicharts that they are still fundamental issues with NT 8. So if you are able to figure out how on earth the bid/ask can crack you "engine" and fixed that issue than you got a lot closer to rock solid product...

Just my thoughts, kind regards, atata

Comment

A comment on good faith...

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Matthew View Post
                                atata,
                                I am only doing this for you out of good faith to ensure that we have uncovered every stone possible during this release candidate and I will do my due diligence should I find any problems with our code base.
                                In my kind of thinking a good faith is due when you have a product and proven rock solid by time. The best example for me is NT 7 vs NT 8. If I code and indicator and NT 7 starts breaking down I would not even bother blaming NT 7 base code since it is proven to me over more than a year now that is "rock" solid. I hope you agree this is not the case at all with NT 8.
                                So yes you and your colleges have to turn those rocks and pretty much all of them until none left not because of good faith just because your product is still... with kind words in development...

Thanks,

atata

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by bmartz, 03-12-2024, 06:12 AM
                                5 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post NinjaTrader_Zachary  
                                Started by Aviram Y, Today, 05:29 AM
                                4 responses