Bug: V8 editor does not handle +/- expand/contract signs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bug: V8 editor does not handle +/- expand/contract signs

To be fair, it does provide some of them -- but far from all of them. Visual Studio provides all of them. NinjaTrader V7 editor provides all of them. V8 fails to provide most of them. Scarcely earth shaking, but a nice convenience. Please fix.

--EV

Hello ETFVoyageur,

Thank you for your post.

I want to make sure I understand which you refer to as the expand and collapse. In the attached image the 8 and 7 editor match up (minus the comments in 7 that are not present in 8). Is this the expand and collapse you refer to? If not, can you provide a screenshot?
    Attached Files

Comment

Yes, those are what I was talking about. In real programs they are poorly handled.

* A lot of my #regions do not get a "+" box.

* I found a case last night where the #region did get a "+" box, but its effect only extended a few lines -- nowhere near to the #endregion

* I can collapse by clicking on a "-" sign, but it won't stay collapsed.. All sorts of things expand it again.

--EV

Comment

Hello ETFVoyageur,

Thank you for your patience on this matter.

The handling of collapse and expand would be performed through ActiPro Software. While most items would be documented this would technically be a third party item and not something we would have information on for specifics.

We ran a few different tests on our end to see if we could find what you were detailing, however we were unable to see any missing collapse/expand buttons or improper functionality.

Do you have any example script that would demonstrate what you are inquiring on for the NinjaScript Editor expand/collapse items?

Comment

Patrick,

You got it. Thanks for taking this seriously. It is really annoying to me.

I tried to make a simpler example and also had no problems. So I just emailed one real one to you as ATTN: PatrickH. This is not the only file -- I have the same problem with several, but they are all derived from the same model text so that is not surprising.

Sorry, but I have made no attempt to see how much I could cut it down and still see the problem. As is, the #region at line 82 does not get a "+" sign. Neither do the next several (line 98, 111, etc)

--EV
          Last edited by ETFVoyageur; 08-02-2016, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Hello ETFVoyageur,

Thank you for sending that file over.

The file's regions starting at line 82 do not show collapse/expand just as you detailed. We will look into what is causing this in the script and follow up when we have details on this matter.

Comment

Thanks for your effort on this, Patrick.

--EV

Comment

Commenting out line 96 allows the regions to collapse again.
                I am not sure why that is as I can derive a new public class from another class without this issue.
                Can you supply the full package potentially for the code you sent me?

Comment

Probably, but I am not sure what you are asking for. What is the "full package"? The file where the base class is defined?

FWIW: commenting out line 96 on my machine has the beneficial effect you described.

--EV

Comment

Hello ETFVoyageur,

Thank you for your response.

If you export through Tools > Export > NinjaScript and export the file you sent me it should include all needed files for the "full package".

Comment

I just tried that. I selected just the one file I sent you and clicked to export it. I got "Error compiling export assembly. Please check your logs." The file does compile in place for me. What logs am I supposed to check?

--EV

Comment

The message refers to the Log tab of the Control Center. These messages generally indicate that another file must be manually added to the list of files to be exported. The messages are detailed at the following link: http://ninjatrader.com/support/helpG...t_problems.htm

If your message varies please respond with a screenshot of the message.

Comment

I was of the impression, from your earlier message, that export would automatically pick the supporting file(s) it needs. Oh, well. It turns out that it will automatically include any system files it needs, but not any custom files -- you have to figure that out manually. Is that a bug or a feature?

I have now emailed the zip file to you, ATTN: PatrickH.

--EV

Comment

By the way, the error messages on the Log tab have the same problem as the ones in the editor when there is a build problem. They are long so the only way to view them without maximizing the window is as a tooltip. That's fine except the <frustrated expletive> tooltip times out way too fast to read the whole message. The tooltip *really* should remain up at least as long as there is no mouse motion. I have taken my hand off the mouse to ensure no further mouse motion, and that does not help keep the tooltip up. Please fix things so the tooltip stays up until I am done with it!

--EV

Comment

Thank you, EV.

On the NinjaScript Editor, development is looking into this further.

On the indicators not automatically being included in the export, this occurs when the .NET referencing fails. Causes can vary for why this occurs.

On the Log tab message tooltip/message display, I have forwarded this to development as a feature request.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by GussJ, 03-04-2020, 03:11 PM
                              16 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Leafcutter  
                              Started by WHICKED, Today, 12:45 PM
                              2 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post WHICKED