ConstantLines indicator exception

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ConstantLines indicator exception

The circumstances are a bit bizzarre. I'm filing this in case it helps NT folks. I'm recording this while I have the information. I'll update it later if I have more information. This is the first time I have seen this behavior.

I have a chart up and was switching between stocks. I brought up AAPL and got exceptions -- one from my indicator and one from ConstantLines. The reason I am posting now is the exception from the NT indicator ConstantLines (the chart does include the ConstantLines indicator). The following messages are from the 'Log' tab.

Error message for my indicator seems strange (there is no space in 'Symbol' -- that's just some sort of display artifact):
    Error on getting/setting property 'SymbolInformation' for NinjaScript 'VsaChartData': Object of type 'NinjaTrader.NinjaScript.Indicators.VsaChartData+S ymbolDescription' cannot be converted to type 'NinjaTrader.NinjaScript.Indicators.VsaChartData+S ymbolDescription'.
    Here's the ConstantLines message:
    Indicator 'Constant lines': Error on calling 'OnRender' method on bar 0: You are accessing an index with a value that is invalid since it is out-of-range. I.E. accessing a series [barsAgo] with a value of 5 when there are only 4 bars on the chart.
    This is not reproducible. I exited NT, restarted it, and switched to AAPL again. No problem this time.
    Last edited by ETFVoyageur; 08-12-2016, 08:03 PM.

Hello ETFVoyageur,

Thank you for your report.

Can you send us your Log and Trace, as well as your workspace files? Please advise which workspace you were using in this scenario.
    Would you also be willing to send over the custom indicator?

You can do this by going to Help > Email Support on the NinjaTrader 8 Control Center. Makes sure to select Other Files > Workspace files and UI settings and also select an attachment and attach your indicator.

Comment

Patrick,

I have just sent you the log and trace files, as you requested.

I am willing to send the indicator file, but there is one issue. I presume you intend to compile it and it will not compile without the files it depends on. The normal way around that is to let Tools | Export | NinjaScript... zip up all that is needed to be consistent. That fails with the error message
      You have custom NinjaScript files on your PC that have programming errors. These errors must be resolved before you can export a NinjaScript Archive file.
      That is because I adopted Brett's suggestion and am now developing primarily in Visual Studio. Some of my files now have a little C# 6.0 code (for example I like the new initialization of auto-properties, and the new easier string formatting), so they will no longer compile with the NT compiler -- and hence NT will no longer export them.

Please let me know how you would like to proceed. I say that because others also liked Brett's suggestion, so I doubt this is the last time you will see the issue.

FWIW: I find the workflow nicer now that I am compiling in Visual Studio., even aside from having access to C# 6.0. For one thing, I can hit breakpoints while NT is bringing up the first chart -- not possible the old way because by the time I manually attached to the process it was already too late.

--EV

Comment

Hello ETFVoyageur,

Thank you for your patience.

You can send over the indicator as it's source and we can look at the code without the need to compile.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by Waxavi, 04-19-2024, 02:10 AM
        3 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post gaz0001
        by gaz0001

Started by Max238, Today, 01:28 AM
        2 responses
        0 likes