Loading data series is taking way too long

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loading data series is taking way too long

I am noticing another issue with NT8. Loading data series is taking way longer than the same data series in NT7. I am running a custom strategy that uses 2 years of tick bid data as the primary series, and tick ask data as the secondary series. The speed of the testing itself where it is actually iterating through the tests are about equal between NT7 and NT8, and in some cases NT8 is a bit faster, but the initializing phase where it hasn't actually start iterating through the tests but it is getting everything loaded up, that phase takes significantly longer in NT8 than NT7. In NT7 it takes about 1 minute before it actually starts testing, but with NT8 I waited almost an hour and it eventually crashed before it had a chance to start because it used up all of the RAM. I wont get into the RAM issue here because I am already discussing that in another thread over here: http://ninjatrader.com/support/forum...ad.php?t=88376 , but I did want to start a thread to focus on the specific issue of how long it is taking to load the series data. If I don't optimize but just run a single test, it still takes about 5-10 minutes of "initializing" before it actually starts the test, and then the test itself takes about 1 second.
    Attached Files

The ram issue and the long initialization time likely is all in the same. Since if that much RAM has to be allocated (and NT7 doesn't allocate the same) then for sure it will be slower. The key here is understanding why all the RAM in the system is being used. Once we isolate that then this would be likely be solved. Therefore I feel we should hold off and wait for conclusion on the RAM usage thread before picking up on this.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Brett View Post
      The ram issue and the long initialization time likely is all in the same. Since if that much RAM has to be allocated (and NT7 doesn't allocate the same) then for sure it will be slower. The key here is understanding why all the RAM in the system is being used. Once we isolate that then this would be likely be solved. Therefore I feel we should hold off and wait for conclusion on the RAM usage thread before picking up on this.
      Thanks Brett, I was thinking the same thing. It seems like if the memory issue is resolved it will also resolve the slow load times for the optimizer. I haven't seen any comments over on the other thread yet today, but I will be watching for what NT would like to do next.

Comment

I'll check in with Patrick today and help take a look.

-Brett

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by mattbsea, Today, 05:44 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post mattbsea  
        Started by RideMe, 04-07-2024, 04:54 PM
        6 responses
        0 likes