Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Feature request: Do not load any workspace on startup (if any was not set by default)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feature request: Do not load any workspace on startup (if any was not set by default)

Let's see on account connections.
    We can set a lot of account connections. And we can set "Connect on startup" to one of them. And, we can set "Connect on startup" to no one.

My workspace at the time loading about 6 minutes (about 3.5 minutes to build 8 different range charts, and about 2,5 minutes to calculate indicators). And then I waiting another 6 minutes after connection established.

So, I suggest load any workspace on NT8 startup only if it was set as "Load this workspace on startup".

P.S. My system is about average performance: i3-3220 3.3Ghz, RAM 10Gb, SSD. And my indicators are highly optimized.
    Last edited by fx.practic; 08-29-2016, 12:34 PM.
    fx.practic
    NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - fx.practic

Hello fx.practic,

Thanks for your post.

I would be glad to send this in as a feature request however I don't see it as being significantly different that what can be done today through workspaces.

Today, you can specify which workspace to open on start -up simply by closing all other workspaces before shutting down and shutting down with only one workspace open and of course saving workspace. When you next start-up, only the last open workspace will be loaded. Once loaded/connected you can then open your trading workspaces.

I recently visited one user who has a single chart with no indicators as his workspace labeled "Start-up". he advised that it allowed him to quickly connect and observe that everything was connecting and working normally, he would then open his trading workspace. At the end of the day, he would close the trading workspace leaving just the start-up workspace open so that when next connected he was only opening the startup workspace.

You may want to see if this process would work for you.
    Paul H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank You Paul for detailed answer. This is the way, yes.

But. Same manipulations can be done today through account connections, right? It's take 2 clicks to establish connection. Despite this, NT have option "Connect on startup".

When we talking about closing NT, we need:
      - open "Start_Up" workspace: 3 clicks;
      - switch to main workspace: 3 clicks;
      - close main workspace: 3 clicks;

9 clicks day by day, several times in day. And If - accidentally - You forget to make this dance You have to wait ant to frustrate.

So, NT optimized to avoid 2 excess clicks (in account connections), but not optimized to avoid 9 excess clicks (in account workspaces).
      fx.practic

Comment

Hello fx.practic,

Thanks for your reply.

I will send this in and will update this thread when I have further information.

Thanks for your interest in improving our product.

Comment

Sorry need to ask a follow up question so that I understand the underlying issue.

Even as you have a feature to load a specific workspace on startup, you still will need to load your workspace that takes 6 minutes to use your workspace. So that I understand is it just that you want to choose when to load that heavy workspace since you might want to do something else after NT starts and don't want the 6 minute penalty? Or is it something else?

Comment

Feature Request: Workspace Loading etc.

See Basic Chart Functions thread in Suggestions and Feed Back section.

Comment

Hello spooz,

Thanks for you post.

Here is a link to the thread you have referenced: http://ninjatrader.com/support/forum...ad.php?t=88588

Comment

1) Now I wait 6 minutes to load workspace on startup and 6 minutes after establishing connection. 12 minutes total. If I'll establish connection with empty workspace and than load heavy workspace - it will takes 6 minutes only.

2) Not every time I need to load and use monster workspace. Some times I need blank workspace to construct another monster )) Or to do some tests. Or check some ideas first.
                And when I closing NT tonight I am not sure what I will to do tomorrow in fist turn.
                NT8 stimulates to generate so many different ideas, right?
                fx.practic

Comment

Ah thanks for clarity, I was concerned you might be seeing number 1 happen, I'll check into development to make sure that's really expected.

On 2, understand.

Comment

Hello fx.practic,

Your suggestion has been assigned to SFT - 1595, "Designate a startup / primary workspace"

Thanks again for your suggestion.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by RubenCazorla, Today, 09:07 AM
                    2 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB  
                    Started by i019945nj, 12-14-2023, 06:41 AM
                    7 responses