Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Internet Provider disconnect and Kinetick data feed freezes forever

Hi,

my provider forces the internet connection to re-connect every 24 hours and I will get a new IP address (my router on the internet side). When this happens, the connection to Kinetick in NT8 didn't recognize that - with NT7 no problem.
    There is ABSOLUTELY no entry in the log or trace file. I sniffed it with Wireshark and the transmission stopped with a prior ACK from my PC to your (Kinetick) server. Then nothing - even after 1 hour. NT8 shows the connection as green and connected.

I could also reproduce it with NT8 running in a VMware machine and disable VMwares network adapter (bridged). If I did it for a few seconds, there is no problem - but when I leave it for some minutes disabled and re-enable it again, the same problem happens - no error, green and freezing "forever".

This is very dangerous and it would be nice if you could fix it in the next version.

Thanks ahead!

Hello,

Thank you for your post. Please email us at platformsupport[at]ninjatrader[dot]com and reference ticket ID# 1563815. I look forward to your reply.
    Kenneth D.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I have had a similar issue and just talked with Patick about it.

In my case it was not the internet provider with a forced disconnect, but the Windows sleep mode, which automatically kicks in when I am going off for a while.

I also experienced a lost connection. Sometimes I was able to disconnect, but a reconnect was never possible. Had to force NinjaTrader 8 to shut down and restart before a connection could be reestablished.

Also see this thread:

Comment

The green light of death never gives you too much confidence with NT. I have been told my green light of death is because i run too many strategies on the one instrument.

Comment

Again they could not reproduce a problem and so for me this extreme critical one is CLOSED. And its NOT only related to a disconnect from a provider. Perhaps they work on more important things like dancing 3D bars.

Now I monitor the data on their socket programatically and blow their socket connections away if there is no more traffic in time. If you want to kill their connections from your own indicator or outside of NT, you can use the program CurrPort (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/cports.html), like:

cports /close * * * * NinjaTrader.exe

Works like a charm as they luckily catch the exception from the socket and reconnect, but if you wait to long you could run into trouble as you wont get the historical data, as the manual disconnect and connect button will trigger other things as loading historical data and so on.
          I don't want to try what happens to their ATM logic when their will be data gaps :-)

@radicaltrader: ;-)

Comment

Thanks BearingHH,
            CurrPort looks to be a worth while addition to NT.... Ill test it out and PM you my findings.

Comment

did you have CurrPort automated?

Comment

Hi, and sorry for my late reply - I didn't get a status email for this thread.

I've written a little program which is using WinPCap to monitor the traffic on the Kinetick data feed connection and when there is no more data, I kill NT's TCP sockets. They get a SocketException, caught it and reconnect.

Don't know why they don't implement the keepalives in the Kinetick protocol as it seems they had it done for NT7. Security should be the top of the priority in this business - but I don't think the programmers trade with their own money.

If a tool is rusty is one thing, but if its not sharp, anything could happen and perhaps you will hurt yourself ...

I want to trade and not debugging and programming :-)

Comment

We are analyzing this situation based off of info in this thread. Any changes on our end will be tracked using ID # 10379
                  MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Matthew View Post
                    We are analyzing this situation based off of info in this thread. Any changes on our end will be tracked using ID # 10379

I'm not using Kinetick data...... but i'm sure once the Kinetick issue is fixed so will be the FXCM issue.

Comment

I am looking seriously into implementing your data unfreeze... I just had the green light of death again, it really fks my day/night having to manually enter limits for hours.... making typo errors.

Comment

Originally posted by BearingHH View Post
                        Again they could not reproduce a problem and so for me this extreme critical one is CLOSED. And its NOT only related to a disconnect from a provider. Perhaps they work on more important things like dancing 3D bars.

Now I monitor the data on their socket programatically and blow their socket connections away if there is no more traffic in time. If you want to kill their connections from your own indicator or outside of NT, you can use the program CurrPort (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/cports.html), like:

cports /close * * * * NinjaTrader.exe

Works like a charm as they luckily catch the exception from the socket and reconnect, but if you wait to long you could run into trouble as you wont get the historical data, as the manual disconnect and connect button will trigger other things as loading historical data and so on.
                        I don't want to try what happens to their ATM logic when their will be data gaps :-)

@radicaltrader: ;-)
                        Have you found that there is a time frame that CurrPort no longer re-establishes a connection?

Comment

Also in the case I've suspended my machine for some time, it works for me. But as I noted before, you will retrieve again real-time data, but the historical data is not loaded as NT triggers other things if they will recognize it for themselves - what they didn't.

I would give you my program, but I have hard-coded values and other things in it. Perhaps I've time on the weekend to make a separate version with an options file.

After all, did it work for you to force the TCP reconnect on their sockets with CurrPort? And did other programs detect the non-availability of the connection and re-connect, as IBs TWS did it for example?

Comment

Originally posted by BearingHH View Post
                            Also in the case I've suspended my machine for some time, it works for me. But as I noted before, you will retrieve again real-time data, but the historical data is not loaded as NT triggers other things if they will recognize it for themselves - what they didn't.

I would give you my program, but I have hard-coded values and other things in it. Perhaps I've time on the weekend to make a separate version with an options file.

After all, did it work for you to force the TCP reconnect on their sockets with CurrPort? And did other programs detect the non-availability of the connection and re-connect, as IBs TWS did it for example?
                            I have been waiting for a connection loss which hasn't eventuated yet(but it will happen). I normally see that there is data still flowing between FXCM and NT when I have had sniffers in the past but the charts don't update in NT.

Before you update your coding let me see if CurrPort can re-establish a connection for me.

My strategies don't use history so I can survive a little while without data. As long as my strategy keeps running with out needing to be disconnected I am sweet.

Comment

When there IS data on the TCP data feed socket flowing and you get these freezes on the chart itself, I don't think that it would help to blow the sockets away. And as I noted before, this is ONLY a problem with NT8 (communication-wise). Must be something else in your case.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by wzgy0920, 04-20-2024, 06:09 PM
                              2 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post wzgy0920  
                              Started by wzgy0920, 02-22-2024, 01:11 AM
                              5 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post wzgy0920