Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today, just broken

Hi,

Using NT8 for a week or so, not changed anything in the workspace or indicators. Was using perfectly fine yesterday. Today on start up, some of the chart windows do not open. Others randomly fail to load data. Checking all the log files I see lines like this

2016-08-30 10:26:03:507 ERROR: Failed to restore Indicator 'Unknown'. Most likely (a) the implementation changed or (b) one or more properties have been renamed or removed or (c) the custom assembly which implements this Indicator no longer is there.
    2016-08-30 10:26:03:509 ERROR: Failed to restore Indicator 'Unknown'. Most likely (a) the implementation changed or (b) one or more properties have been renamed or removed or (c) the custom assembly which implements this Indicator no longer is there.
    2016-08-30 10:26:03:519 ERROR: Failed to restore Indicator 'Unknown'. Most likely (a) the implementation changed or (b) one or more properties have been renamed or removed or (c) the custom assembly which implements this Indicator no longer is there.
    2016-08-30 10:26:03:521 ERROR: Failed to restore Indicator 'Unknown'. Most likely (a) the implementation changed or (b) one or more properties have been renamed or removed or (c) the custom assembly which implements this Indicator no longer is there.

Now, none of the indicators has changed. From working state yesterday to completely borked today, I've changed nothing. Shut down normally. Startup today.

In order to get to working state I have removed those charts from the workspace, shut down, re-started and re-created the charts from the templates I'd fortunately saved. This failure though is I think something wrong with NT8.

In trying to restore, I've also now a custom indicator that no longer works, yet it's been working all week just fine on the same nt8

I get this message in the logs

2016-08-30 10:53:13:562 ERROR: Indicator 'pjsxxxx': Error on calling 'SetState' method: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Yet, this indicator has not changed and it is working in another chart window seemingly OK.

I also just noticed that the built in VOL indicator I had on a few charts has dissapeared from several of the charts it was applied to. Looks like NT8 has lost the plot here when it comes to indicators in use. I've done a test compile of one and they are all OK. As stated, NO changes to any indicators at all in a few days, so not sure why it decided to do this.

[edit] It seems I am unable to add new charts etc. now either. Can add a new chart window, add a data series, no indicators, nothing else, simply fails to load

trace log lists this

2016-08-30 11:28:42:286 Cbi.Instrument.RequestBars (to Provider): instrument='ES 09-16' from='08/30/2016 11:00:00' to='08/30/2016 23:59:59' period='1 Tick'

But no chart loads. Somtimes stuck 'loading...' top left, sometimes nothing. No errors I can see in the log related to this.

Trying to add a new 900 tick es chart, nothing. No data loads.

For info, on some of the windows where nothing loads, it seems the indicators icon/menu option is no longer available. I'm guessing this is because of the indicator situation. Some of these windows though, the only indicator is the build in and unmolested @VOL, so hard to understand whats gone wrong with that.

[edit] the only thing I did do yesterday was the database 'rollover' for a few of the futures contracts, just in case this is related. + discovered it does not like anything to do with bonds! 2016-08-30 11:55:04:671 Cbi.Instrument.RequestBars (to Provider): instrument='ZB 09-16' from='08/30/2016 00:00:00' to='08/30/2016 00:00:00' period='1 Minute' but never loads, price right on left all wrong numbers

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by pjsmith; 08-30-2016, 04:56 AM.

I've resolved the issue by recreating the workspaces from scratch. A mornings work

Seems like a bug in NT8 though. Even if an indicator did get broken (which I'm sure it did not), failing womwhat gracefully instead of broking all the workspace and templates would be a lot nicer!

Comment

The situation may not have been as bad as it looked. In my experience you get messages like that is an indicator is broken. You may even get charts put up without any indicators showing. Fortunately, all of the underlying records are fine -- if you find and fix the bad indicator all will come back. Nothing was lost -- just not displaying.

I'd be the first to agree that it would be nice if NT could be more informative in a case like that, but it isn't. One has to just find and fix the problem, and be happy that things then go back to normal with no work (workspaces, charts, templates, etc) lost.

--EV

Comment

Hello,
        Can you clarify what you are seeing with the indicator in the new workpsace? Are you using the indicator in the new worskpace with no modifications to the indicator?
        Do you have a copy of the previous workspace saved?
        Cody B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi,

To my knowledge, I'd changed nothing in several days. Shut down one evening, startup up the next morning and although all the windows opened, most were empty with no data and not indicators. In the log, it was complaining about the indicators being missing. I'm assuming it lost track of ALL indicators (of which there are only a few) because in the log, it stated all the indicators as 'Unknown'. Even if one indicator became broken for some reason, i'd be good to to not break the entire workspace and all windows, indcluding those without indicators.

I initially tried to re-build the workspace by closing problem charts, starting new and re-loading the templates. This was still problematic so in the end I restarted everything completely from a blank workspace, re-built all the chart windows and saved new templates, all with exactley the same indicators.

I think NT8 just lost the plot for some reason. I didn't fix anything, just forced to rebuild with the same which took me some time. Concern is obviously it's a bug which can happen again.

Worst is the behaviour in this beta though. A more graceful handling of any issue like this would be good. Also, if there is an issue with an indicator, can you state the name of it in the log file (note - as stated, I don't think there were any issues with the indicators themselves as such).

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by Barry Milan, Yesterday, 10:35 PM
          5 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
          Started by DanielSanMartin, Yesterday, 02:37 PM
          2 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post DanielSanMartin