Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

How does an end user configure an AddOn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How does an end user configure an AddOn?

I never thought about it before, but I can easily imagine that some AddOns could have useful user configuration. So how does an end user configure an AddOn?

--EV

Hello ETFVoyageur,

Please define what you mean as "end user configuration".

Comment

Users can configure indicators in the Indicators dialog

What is the equivalent for a user to configure an AddOn?

--EV

Comment

Hello ETFVoyageur,

Thank you for your patience.

There is no AddOns window as you would have for a Strategy, Indicator, Market Analyzer Column, SuperDOM Column, etc.

AddOns are their own unique windows that you create. You would likely want to include a properties menu of your own in the AddOn, or possible create a "parent" AddOn window that manages other AddOn windows.

The point is it is up to you to handle these as the AddOns are for custom windows uniquely designed by the developer of said window.

Comment

I have addons that have no GUI presence. They just perform a service in the background. In particular, they do not create a window. How would you suggest I handle user configuration for them?

I guess I could add an entry to one of the menus, and use that to pop up a dialog. I just wanted to find out what standard, if any, NT foresees for this. Do you have a better idea than this (add an entry to a standard menu)?

--EV

Comment

ETFVoyageur,

You could create an indicator that passes parameters to those AddOns or create them as indicators.

Comment

Thanks ... that's an interesting thought. That reminds me of one thing -- do AddOns get serialized? If an addon is configurable, then it should get serialized. What would be ideal is:
              • Always there, without explicit user action. AddOns have this, but indicators do not. An indicator sounds awkward, since the indicator would be associated with a a chart, and charts come and go. I guess that would not be to bad as long as the user associated the indicator with the chart template(s) always used.
              • Gets window creation / destruction notification. AddOns have this, but indicators do not. I now of no workaround for the indicator, other than the indicator communicating with an AddOn.
              • Sensible way for a user to configure it -- either could offer that. Indicators via Indicators Dialog, and AddOn via an addition to the Tools menu.
              • Gets serialized, so user configuration is sticky. Indicators have this. Do AddOns get serialized?

If AddOns do not get serialized, then perhaps I could figure out a judicious combination of both that would meet the need.

--EV

Comment

Hello ETFVoyageur,

Thank you for your response.

AddOns would be serialized with the workspace if you are utilizing the workspace persistence: http://ninjatrader.com/support/helpG..._interface.htm

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by bortz, 11-06-2023, 08:04 AM
                47 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post aligator  
                Started by jaybedreamin, Today, 05:56 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post jaybedreamin