Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RC1 crashes

Hi,

I have major problems with the latest RC1, first the installer would not work, it kept saying that it could not update due to an error. Now I have got it installed, when I try to load Data into a Chart, NT8 crashes.

So this RC1 release is unusable...........
    Attached Files

Here is the Trace log file error

" 2016-09-01 05:17:06:529 (My IQFeed) IQFeed.Adapter.MessageLoopAdmin0: msg='S,CURRENT PROTOCOL,5.1,
    '
    2016-09-01 05:17:07:329 (My IQFeed) Cbi.Account.AccountItemCallback: account='Sim101' accountItem=CashValue currency=UsDollar value=*****
    2016-09-01 05:17:20:392 *************** unhandled exception trapped ***************
    2016-09-01 05:17:20:392 Method not found: 'Void NinjaTrader.Gui.Stroke.Dispose()'.
    2016-09-01 05:17:20:393 System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'Void NinjaTrader.Gui.Stroke.Dispose()'.
    at MTPredictor.Adapter.NinjaTrader8.Drawing.DrawingTo ols.Zone.Dispose(Boolean disposing)
    at NinjaTrader.NinjaScript.DrawingTools.DrawingTool.F inalize()
    2016-09-01 05:17:20:412 Cbi.Instrument.RequestBars (to Provider): instrument='ES 09-16' from='08/19/2016 00:00:00' to='08/31/2016 00:00:00' period='1 Minute'"

Comment

Steve,

Yea we had to do code breaking change since that line of code that was run was technically not needed and actually causing problems.

To get around hold down CTRL while starting NT to launch into safe mode and if that line of code is in scripts you have e.g. MTPredictor. If you can edit the code please remove it. If its a protected add on you don't have the code for please remove it then restart. Everything should be working again and consult your add on developer for an updated version for RC1 removing that line from their code.

-Brett

Comment

Hi Brett,

OK, thanks

BTW, it would be nice if you informed us (the independent developers) of any code breaking changes "before" you release new versions to the public. This would then allow us to make the necessary changes "before" our users download your new builds and then experience problems.

Just a though to make the experience better for all our Customers.

Thanks

Steve Griffiths
        MTPredictor Ltd

Comment

This is a big code break that affects any indicators using a Stroke property.
          Today we had to fix this issue for our 5 affected indicators.
          ninZa
          NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - ninZa.co

Comment

Steve,

Thanks for feedback. (Didn't connect the dots that you were MTPredictor ). Hope things are going well been a while since we last chatted, been a while. Outside of beta I don't anticipate any more code breaking changes until another major release which you'll have plenty of forewarning on. In the home stretch now!

-Brett

Comment

Originally posted by SteveGriffiths View Post
              Hi Brett,

OK, thanks

BTW, it would be nice if you informed us (the independent developers) of any code breaking changes "before" you release new versions to the public. This would then allow us to make the necessary changes "before" our users download your new builds and then experience problems.

Just a though to make the experience better for all our Customers.

Thanks

Steve Griffiths
              MTPredictor Ltd
              That's a great idea, Steve.
              But in this case it may not work for all.

The solution to fix the issue is simply to re-export an affected indicator with v13, and v13 platform will automatically handle necessary changes. So v13 is the key. But we cannot have v13 before the public announcement

Just my thought.
              ninZa
              NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - ninZa.co

Comment

Hi Brett,

Brill thanks................... looking forward to the final (stable) NT8 release as well

Thanks

Steve Griffiths

Comment

Following the update to RC1, I have identified another issue. We are using an AddOn to add a menu item to the Control Center "Tools" Menu that contains some sub-menu items for additional global application functionality.

After the RC1 update, the menu items are no longer added to the menu whether I use Insert() (what we are using) or Add(). We are adding the menu items using the same method as the code sample in the help guide.

I stepped through the code in a debugger and it finds the menu item just fine, creates the new ones, inserts or adds them and exits the method without an exception.

However, the menu items do not appear in the Control Center Tools Menu UI.

Any thoughts? It has been working fine in every release up until the current one.

Thanks-

Comment

Hello sdonahue,

This item was recently identified and resolved for next release in #10321.
                    Issue was due to automation id duplicated on a non-visible menu.

In the meantime, please feel free to add to the New menu (via ControlCenterMenuItemNew) which should work as expected.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to ask.
                    Thanks
                    Michael M.NinjaTrader Quality Assurance

Comment

I uploaded a patch to correct the issue where AddOns would not display in the Tools menu in RC1. If you are having this issue please uninstall and reinstall RC1 version from this morning. Sorry about that!

-Brett

Comment

That did the trick. Thanks for the quick fix, Brett.

Comment

XABCD Drawing tools

I also had a major crash of RC1 after install. The issue turned out to be an install of the XABCD trading drawing tools Add-on I had installed with the Beta NJ8-v12.

After an email conversation with NJ support, I got XABCD trading support team involved. They were supper responsive and did a sterling job of helping uninstall all the problem Add-ons, and get my version of RC1 running. their willingness to help and resolve the issue far out shines Ninja Traders own support in my view.

My RC1 is now running fine, but I must say I am a little surprised Ninja Trader has submitted a release knowing it would cause these sorts of issues. Yet chose not to provide a method of either pre-removing all third-party Add-on's/customs scripts before RC1 installs (and system checking tool you run before installing RC1, which is common with other applications). Or at least supplying a means of removing any third party add-on post the issue occurring.

As a new user to Ninja trader I will in future be unlikely to simply accept any new release of NJ8 without first considering if it is going crash my PC and destroy any custom strategies I may be working on at the time. That may mean I choose to stay on a version much longer than I normally would.

It's really taken the shine off a platform I was starting to really enjoy.

#Disapointed

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to write up your experience. I notice this is your first post on our forums so I wanted to provide some additional information.

Typically we don't make such code breaking changes after the product is fully released. Right now we are in the beta period where we have had to make some changes as we run into bugs or unintended behavior. Unfortunately we had a change on this release which which fell under that category during beta and wanted to "pull the bandaid off"and get it done since we are moving closer every day to a production release of NinjaTrader 8. We have had a few select code breaking changes during beta and we work to be careful to only do them when needed. Typically we try to stay very connected with our beta community via these forums and label such changes on our release notes to bring attention to them at the very top. We're happy to assist clients that would need assistance migrating to the next beta release.

I'm excited for when we can go 'Gold' and get our version 1 of NinjaTrader 8 out the door. Thanks for helping us beta test NinjaTrader 8.

Comment

Brett

I guess what I am saying is, that while I accept changes as you have expressed are necessary during product development, the execution of the release in my view was poor.

Complete reliance on release notes to alert clients to significant change such as those in this version, is in my view a naive approach. I think you could have done more (for example a simple previous install state script that would alert a user to likely issues before committing to the install of the new version) at the time of install. In doing so prevented such issues from occurring and made the customer experience better.

So my point remains the same. The gloss has rubbed off NJ8 for me based upon this experience, and it will take a fair amount of time for me to rebuild trust in the product.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by algospoke, Yesterday, 06:40 PM
                              2 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post algospoke  
                              Started by ghoul, Today, 06:02 PM
                              3 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred