What am I doing wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What am I doing wrong?

This has got to be so simple I'll be embarrassed to find what I am overlooking, but here goes.

I have been doing just fine, doing my development in VS and running NT8 from there. "I did not change anything" but the setup no longer works. Obviously I did change something, but I have no idea what that could be. I even reinstalled NT8. I added my skin file, but made no other changes. In particular, I have not put any of my source files back into the tree, so the build is purely what comes with NT8. (FWIW: I am running Windows 10 with the latest update.)

*) NT8 runs fine when run directly, so it would seem that NT8 and Widows are fine.

*) Next I tried running Visual Studio from the NT Editor and attaching to the process. That went smoothly, but when I recompile in the editor the VS output window shows some exceptions. Is that normal? (Note that this step involves nothing other than what came with NT8 and a vanilla VS. No code of mine.)
    Code:
    Exception thrown: 'System.IO.FileNotFoundException' in mscorlib.dll
    Exception thrown: 'System.ArgumentNullException' in mscorlib.dll
    *) Then I went to what I really want to do, and what has been working well up until now -- running VS directly and starting NT8 from there. When I do so, NT8 gets started, but soon crashes. It runs long enough to put up its "Beta" splash screen. The next thing I see is a dialog saying "ArgumentException was unhandled", with detail "Requested value 'Replay' was not found." This is, regrettably, 100% reproducible.

Here's the output window content:
    Code:
    Exception thrown: 'System.ArgumentNullException' in System.dll
    WARNING: Session Break (Version 8.0.0.12)
    Cbi.Globals.MachineId: True/True 302EC07CD02EAA7D24DAC6D0CAB76B32
    Cbi.Licence.Verify5
    Exception thrown: 'System.ArgumentException' in mscorlib.dll
    Here is the stack:
    Code:
    >    mscorlib.dll!System.Enum.EnumResult.SetFailure(System.Enum.ParseFailureKind failure, string failureMessageID, object failureMessageFormatArgument)    Unknown
         mscorlib.dll!System.Enum.TryParseEnum(System.Type enumType, string value, bool ignoreCase, ref System.Enum.EnumResult parseResult)    Unknown
         mscorlib.dll!System.Enum.Parse(System.Type enumType, string value, bool ignoreCase)    Unknown
         [Native to Managed Transition]    
         [Managed to Native Transition]    
         NinjaTrader.VMRuntime.dll!lbU=.abc=.hrc=(ref object h7c=, object[] iLc=, bool ibc=, System.Reflection.MethodBase irc=, bool i7c=)    Unknown
         NinjaTrader.VMRuntime.dll!lbU=.CLs=.DLs=(lbU=.Arc= value)    Unknown
         NinjaTrader.VMRuntime.dll!lbU=.yrY=.z7Y=(lbU=.Arc= 0LY=)    Unknown
         NinjaTrader.VMRuntime.dll!VMRuntime.Libraries.CSVMRuntime.QrY=(lbU=.tbY= Q7Y=, lbU=.Arc= RLY=)    Unknown
         NinjaTrader.VMRuntime.dll!VMRuntime.Libraries.CSVMRuntime.PrY=(System.Reflection.Assembly P7Y=, string QLY=, object[] QbY=)    Unknown
         NinjaTrader.VMRuntime.dll!VMRuntime.Libraries.CSVMRuntime.RunMethod(string PQYB, object[] PgYB)    Unknown
         NinjaTrader.Core.dll!NinjaTrader.Cbi.LicenseData.LicensedProviders.set(NinjaTrader.Cbi.Provider[] value)    Unknown
         Microsoft.GeneratedCode!Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderLicenseData.Read5_LicenseData(bool isNullable, bool checkType)    Unknown
         Microsoft.GeneratedCode!Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderLicenseData.Read6_LicenseData()    Unknown
         System.Xml.dll!System.Xml.Serialization.TempAssembly.InvokeReader(System.Xml.Serialization.XmlMapping mapping, System.Xml.XmlReader xmlReader, System.Xml.Serialization.XmlDeserializationEvents events, string encodingStyle)    Unknown
         System.Xml.dll!System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(System.Xml.XmlReader xmlReader, string encodingStyle, System.Xml.Serialization.XmlDeserializationEvents events)    Unknown
         System.Xml.dll!System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(System.Xml.XmlReader xmlReader)    Unknown
         NinjaTrader.Core.dll!NinjaTrader.Cbi.License.Verify(System.Action<string, NinjaTrader.Cbi.InvalidCode, bool> errorCallback)    Unknown
         NinjaTrader.exe!NinjaTrader.AppHelper.OnStartup.AnonymousMethod__0(object o)    Unknown
         mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext executionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback callback, object state, bool preserveSyncCtx)    Unknown
         mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext executionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback callback, object state, bool preserveSyncCtx)    Unknown
         mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()    Unknown
         mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()    Unknown

Hello ETFVoyageur,

Thank you for your post.

I would recommend searching these messages specifically in a search engine to see the cause. The exceptions appear to occur for a number of reasons, so I would browse through the results of your search to see what possible causes there are and if you performed any of these.

Comment

There is one irrelevant 2008 thread that search turns up. I also did not find anything useful via Google.

I just went back and redid things as basically as possible. Pure vanilla, nothing special about me.
      • Uninstall NinjaTrader 8
      • Delete the NinjaTrader 8 folder (uninstall left it behind, presumably in case I had work there)
      • Run the .msi file to reinstall NT8 -- just accepted the default choices
      • Run NT8, declining its offer to carry forward NT7 settings
      • Bring up the editor
      • Set debug mode
      • Compile (F5)
      • Click on the editor button to run Visual Studio Community 2015, Update 3
      • VS attach to the NT process
      • Do F5 again in the NT editor
      • See the following output in the VS 'Output' window

Code:
      Note that what I did was totally vanilla. There are no settings or choices of mine involved, and there is no code of mine involved. Next I created a vanilla chart -- the only input I gave it was to specify the security symbol (SPY). That got me some more exceptions in the Output window.
      Code:
      Exception thrown: 'System.Xml.XmlException' in NinjaTrader.Core.dll
      Exception thrown: 'System.Xml.XmlException' in NinjaTrader.Core.dll
      Are all these exceptions expected? Is it really right that such simple basic actions in NT are generating these exceptions? If not, then I would appreciate any suggestions for how to fix the issue, or at least how to proceed.

=====
      Are those NT's messages? If so, it would REALLY help if you would also provide the pathname it is looking for.

=====
      I also wonder what is causing the toolbar icon to be a white rectangle instead of the NT icon that is its symbol with an "8" on it?

--EV
      Last edited by ETFVoyageur; 09-01-2016, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Grasping at straws, I rebooted. The toolbar icon is now correct. I still get the exceptions, though.

--EV

Comment

I shut down NT while VS as attached. I see a couple of ThreadAbortException's. I do not know whether or not they interfere with going down cleanly.
          Code:
          2016-09-01 10:54:35:101 Shutting down NinjaTrader
          2016-09-01 10:54:35:101 Shutting down instrument management
          2016-09-01 10:54:35:103 Shutting down instrument threads
          2016-09-01 10:54:35:106 Shutting down BP thread
          2016-09-01 10:54:35:106 Shutting down data recorder
          2016-09-01 10:54:35:115 Shutting down file type watcher
          2016-09-01 10:54:35:115 Shutting down ATI server
          Exception thrown: 'System.Threading.ThreadAbortException' in System.dll
          2016-09-01 10:54:35:127 Shutting down auto trade component
          Exception thrown: 'System.Threading.ThreadAbortException' in NinjaTrader.Core.dll

Comment

Some exceptions which are thrown and handled by NT are expected (e.g. wouldn't worry about the thread abort exceptions). I did a test on my side and I do not get those exceptions on compile/startup.

Do you see the exceptions in the My Documents > NinjaTrader 8 > Trace > trace.txt file for the session you ran into this one, Could you send that my way so I could take a look at the trace.

-Brett

Comment

I just ran through the sequence that shows the exceptions and got them. None show up in the trace file, though. I just emailed you the trace file, as you asked.

Next I tried to start NT from VS (the stuff you zipped up a bit back). That has been working fine, up until recently. The NT workspace that was to get started has just a Control Center, and nothing else -- could not be simpler. Did not get far enough to make a trace file. Ended with the Beta splash screen and a dialog saying "ArgumentException was unhandled" with the additional information: "Requested value 'Replay' was not found" Here's the Output window content:
              Code:
              Cbi.Licence.Verify5
              and the call stack
              Code:
              >    mscorlib.dll!System.Enum.EnumResult.SetFailure(System.Enum.ParseFailureKind failure, string failureMessageID, object failureMessageFormatArgument)    Unknown
                   mscorlib.dll!System.Enum.TryParseEnum(System.Type enumType, string value, bool ignoreCase, ref System.Enum.EnumResult parseResult)    Unknown
                   mscorlib.dll!System.Enum.Parse(System.Type enumType, string value, bool ignoreCase)    Unknown
                   NinjaTrader.VMRuntime.dll!lbU=.abc=.hrc=(ref object h7c=, object[] iLc=, bool ibc=, System.Reflection.MethodBase irc=, bool i7c=)    Unknown
                   NinjaTrader.VMRuntime.dll!VMRuntime.Libraries.CSVMRuntime.QrY=(lbU=.tbY= Q7Y=, lbU=.Arc= RLY=)    Unknown
                   NinjaTrader.VMRuntime.dll!VMRuntime.Libraries.CSVMRuntime.PrY=(System.Reflection.Assembly P7Y=, string QLY=, object[] QbY=)    Unknown
                   NinjaTrader.VMRuntime.dll!VMRuntime.Libraries.CSVMRuntime.RunMethod(string PQYB, object[] PgYB)    Unknown
                   NinjaTrader.Core.dll!NinjaTrader.Cbi.LicenseData.LicensedProviders.set(NinjaTrader.Cbi.Provider[] value)    Unknown
                   Microsoft.GeneratedCode!Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderLicenseData.Read5_LicenseData(bool isNullable, bool checkType)    Unknown
                   Microsoft.GeneratedCode!Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderLicenseData.Read6_LicenseData()    Unknown
                   System.Xml.dll!System.Xml.Serialization.TempAssembly.InvokeReader(System.Xml.Serialization.XmlMapping mapping, System.Xml.XmlReader xmlReader, System.Xml.Serialization.XmlDeserializationEvents events, string encodingStyle)    Unknown
                   System.Xml.dll!System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(System.Xml.XmlReader xmlReader, string encodingStyle, System.Xml.Serialization.XmlDeserializationEvents events)    Unknown
                   System.Xml.dll!System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(System.Xml.XmlReader xmlReader)    Unknown
                   NinjaTrader.Core.dll!NinjaTrader.Cbi.License.Verify(System.Action<string, NinjaTrader.Cbi.InvalidCode, bool> errorCallback)    Unknown
                   NinjaTrader.exe!NinjaTrader.AppHelper.OnStartup.AnonymousMethod__0(object o)    Unknown
                   mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext executionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback callback, object state, bool preserveSyncCtx)    Unknown
                   mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext executionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback callback, object state, bool preserveSyncCtx)    Unknown
                   mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()    Unknown
              I'm really mystified. Everything was working quite smoothly until very recently. I am not aware of changing anything other than a Windows update, but it worked for a couple of days after the update. It is hard to believe that NT is having serious problems or else I would not be the only one noticing it. Besides, I have completely reinstalled NT. It's hard to believe VS is causing the problems. As for my system, it's Windows 10 with all patches applied. Nothing else is having any problem that I can see. I ran several of MS' checking tools this morning (sfc, dism, chkdsk) and nothing detected any problems.

I'm just mystified. My presumption is that I have messed up some simple little thing, though I don't see how that would affect the case where VS is started from the editor. That's all NT-approved procedure with nothing of mine involved.

--EV

Comment

Originally posted by ETFVoyageur View Post
                I just ran through the sequence that shows the exceptions and got them. None show up in the trace file, though. I just emailed you the trace file, as you asked.

Next I tried to start NT from VS (the stuff you zipped up a bit back). That has been working fine, up until recently. The NT workspace that was to get started has just a Control Center, and nothing else -- could not be simpler. Did not get far enough to make a trace file. Ended with the Beta splash screen and a dialog saying "ArgumentException was unhandled" with the additional information: "Requested value 'Replay' was not found" Here's the Output window content:
                Code:
                Cbi.Licence.Verify5
                and the call stack
                Code:
                I'm really mystified. Everything was working quite smoothly until very recently. I am not aware of changing anything other than a Windows update, but it worked for a couple of days after the update. It is hard to believe that NT is having serious problems or else I would not be the only one noticing it. Besides, I have completely reinstalled NT. It's hard to believe VS is causing the problems. As for my system, it's Windows 10 with all patches applied. Nothing else is having any problem that I can see. I ran several of MS' checking tools this morning (sfc, dism, chkdsk) and nothing detected any problems.

I'm just mystified. My presumption is that I have messed up some simple little thing, though I don't see how that would affect the case where VS is started from the editor. That's all NT-approved procedure with nothing of mine involved.

--EV
                Try reinstalling the correct .NET version.

Comment

Good suggestion. A bit time-consuming, but I did it. Did not affect the problem, though.

Comment

problem just starting from VS? Or is it also running into issue starting up normally?

Comment

The middle of the three cases -- start normally and then launch VS from the editor displays the exceptions. If VS is not involved at all I don't know whee to look for the equivalent of the VS Output window.

Comment

A slightly more detailed answer:

case 1: I bring up NT8, open the editor, recompile (debug mode, F5), open a chart (SPY, standard default template, no indicators)), and then shut down. No visible evidence of exceptions, but that is not conclusive; perhaps I just do not know where to look. I did look at trace and log files -- nothing there about any exceptions.

case 2: identical to case 1, except that when the editor comes up I use it to launch VS and, in VS, attach to the NT process. All else is the same. Still no visible evidence of exceptions, including nothing in the log and trace files. The one thing that is different, and the reason for this thread, is that there are exceptions visible in VS. Exceptions that appear just as the compile is done (I hear the chime, then the exceptions appear in the VS Output window). More exceptions when I bring up the chart. Exit is interrupted by VS catching a threading exception.

There are several reason these concern me, in spite of no impact on operation that I have noticed
                        • It's a beta, and if there is a bug it needs to get fixed
                        • The exceptions are there for a reason, so I assume NT was trying to do something that it could not complete. I have no way to know what got impacted.
                        • I can no longer work by launching NT from VS. I am highly suspicious that all of these exceptions explains why.

As I have previously noted, I have no idea why this is happening. Up until recently I have been working just fine. I have no idea what is different -- obviously something changed, but I have no idea what that might be. I do not even know how to proceed:
                        • Both Case 1 and Case 2 are entirely supported operations
                        • There is nothing of mine in the source tree. I deliberately did not restore my indicators and AddOns after reinstalling NT
                        • I have not even changed any options in NT after reinstalling it -- I am trying to keep the test case a plain-vanilla as possible.

Furthermore, just in case something in Windows got corrupted, I have:
                        • Run Repair on each of the installed .NET components.
                        • Run Repair on VS. That takes a long time and looks as if it is reinstalling everything, including the .NET it came with
                        • Run several Windows checking tools; they all said they found no problems.
                        • Checked for updates, in case the above set something back. No updates were found.

I'm out of ideas. Would getting a suitable PDB file or files from you provide a better stack trace so you could tell what is going on? Do you have anything else for me to try to help diagnose the problem?

--EV

Comment

I just installed RC1, figuring it is easy to uninstall and go back to Beta 12 if need be.

Unfortunately, all behavior remains as stated. I still get the exceptions.

--EV

Comment

Let's take this one step at a time. I am running vanilla RC1, with nothing changed. There is no custom code in the source tree. I take the following steps:
                            • Start NT8 RC1
                            • New | NinjaScript Editor
                            • Click on the Editor button for "Open project in Visual Studio"
                            • Visual studio comes up and I attach to the NinjaTrader process
                            • Back in the editor, compile (F5)
                            • The compile runs, and then I hear the chime that it is done
                            • Following that, I see the following exceptions appear in the VS Output window

Code:
                            If I compile again, i get the same three exceptions after hearing the chime. Next I connected to Kinetick and recompiled. Now I get one less exception:
                            Code:
                            To verify that connecting changes the behavior, I did a similar experiment, connecting first:
                            • Start NT8 RC1
                            • Connect to Kinetick
                            • New | NinjaScript Editor
                            • Click on the Editor button for "Open project in Visual Studio"
                            • Visual studio comes up and I attach to the NinjaTrader process
                            • Back in the editor, compile (F5)
                            • The compile runs, and then I hear the chime that it is done
                            • Following that, I see the following exceptions appear in the VS Output window

Code:
                            That shows the reduced exceptions depend only on being connected, not on when you connect.

The obvious question: what files is it trying to find (evidently after a successful compilation)? Surely the fact that connecting to Kinetick causes one of the file not found messages to go away should tell us something. It seems to me that:
                            • Connecting to Kinetick making one of the file not found messages go away indicates there is a bug when no data source is connected.
                            • Perhaps if we understood what files are not found we would be making progress on understanding what the problem is.
                            • I am less worried about the ArgumentNullException, because there is a good chance it is just missing error checking and a consequence of the file not found problem. (If that is what it is, it would be good to fix the missing error checking.)

BTW: it appears these messages get written to debug output, but not to the trace file. It seems to me that they should also be written to the trace file.

--EV
                            Last edited by ETFVoyageur; 09-06-2016, 01:40 AM.

Comment

Could be a quasi-internal problem with serialization? ref: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/884466

Might some extra Google Fu be in order? https://www.google.com/search?q=Exce...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by RubenCazorla, Today, 09:07 AM
                              2 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB  
                              Started by i019945nj, 12-14-2023, 06:41 AM
                              7 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB