Collapse

What am I doing wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good call Koganam. Might be something there.

I don't see anything in the trace file you sent in (as you mentioned). On case 1 and case 2 supported NT operations honestly I would not worry. Given there is nothing in the trace and we're at the limits of what I could support there. Since we've tried all the basics at this point and no operations are actually affected... however...

You mention though that you cannot use visual studio currently? What is the problem there, might be something to chase on that front.

Comment

Th reason I emphasized the simple case is that the inability to use VS shows a lot of the same kinds of exceptions. I was hoping that the simple case would be easier to deal with, and that fixing that would fix everything.

In the full case, I have VS set up as per that zip file you provided, Brett. I give an F5 and NT starts up as far as showing the NT8 splash screen. And then it dies with an exception:
      Code:
      An exception of type 'System.ArgumentException' occurred in mscorlib.dll and wasn't handled before a managed/native boundary

Additional information: Requested value 'Replay' was not found.
      At that point the output window has
      Code:
      Exception thrown: 'System.ArgumentNullException' in System.dll
      Exception thrown: 'System.IO.FileNotFoundException' in mscorlib.dll
      WARNING: Session Break (Version 8.0.0.13)
      Cbi.Globals.MachineId: True/True 302EC07CD02EAA7D24DAC6D0CAB76B32
      Cbi.Licence.Verify5
      Exception thrown: 'System.ArgumentException' in mscorlib.dll
      and the stack is
      Code:
      >    mscorlib.dll!System.Enum.EnumResult.SetFailure(System.Enum.ParseFailureKind failure, string failureMessageID, object failureMessageFormatArgument)    Unknown
           mscorlib.dll!System.Enum.TryParseEnum(System.Type enumType, string value, bool ignoreCase, ref System.Enum.EnumResult parseResult)    Unknown
           mscorlib.dll!System.Enum.Parse(System.Type enumType, string value, bool ignoreCase)    Unknown
           [Native to Managed Transition]    
           [Managed to Native Transition]    
           NinjaTrader.VMRuntime.dll!lbU=.abc=.hrc=(ref object h7c=, object[] iLc=, bool ibc=, System.Reflection.MethodBase irc=, bool i7c=)    Unknown
           NinjaTrader.VMRuntime.dll!lbU=.wLo=.xLo=(lbU=.Arc= value)    Unknown
           NinjaTrader.VMRuntime.dll!lbU=.yrY=.z7Y=(lbU=.Arc= 0LY=)    Unknown
           NinjaTrader.VMRuntime.dll!VMRuntime.Libraries.CSVMRuntime.QrY=(lbU=.tbY= Q7Y=, lbU=.Arc= RLY=)    Unknown
           NinjaTrader.VMRuntime.dll!VMRuntime.Libraries.CSVMRuntime.PrY=(System.Reflection.Assembly P7Y=, string QLY=, object[] QbY=)    Unknown
           NinjaTrader.VMRuntime.dll!VMRuntime.Libraries.CSVMRuntime.RunMethod(string PQYB, object[] PgYB)    Unknown
           NinjaTrader.Core.dll!NinjaTrader.Cbi.LicenseData.LicensedProviders.set(NinjaTrader.Cbi.Provider[] value)    Unknown
           Microsoft.GeneratedCode!Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderLicenseData.Read5_LicenseData(bool isNullable, bool checkType)    Unknown
           Microsoft.GeneratedCode!Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderLicenseData.Read6_LicenseData()    Unknown
           System.Xml.dll!System.Xml.Serialization.TempAssembly.InvokeReader(System.Xml.Serialization.XmlMapping mapping, System.Xml.XmlReader xmlReader, System.Xml.Serialization.XmlDeserializationEvents events, string encodingStyle)    Unknown
           System.Xml.dll!System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(System.Xml.XmlReader xmlReader, string encodingStyle, System.Xml.Serialization.XmlDeserializationEvents events)    Unknown
           System.Xml.dll!System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(System.Xml.XmlReader xmlReader)    Unknown
           NinjaTrader.Core.dll!NinjaTrader.Cbi.License.Verify(System.Action<string, NinjaTrader.Cbi.InvalidCode, bool> errorCallback)    Unknown
           NinjaTrader.exe!NinjaTrader.AppHelper.OnStartup.AnonymousMethod__0(object o)    Unknown
           mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext executionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback callback, object state, bool preserveSyncCtx)    Unknown
           mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext executionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback callback, object state, bool preserveSyncCtx)    Unknown
           mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()    Unknown
           mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()    Unknown

Comment

Its almost got to be some settings in visual studio I feel. Since it only has issue when started from there.

Perhaps related to changing of .net framework version or not. Just guessing at this point but for sure visual studio is related.

Might try redownloading a new VS project with default settings. See what that does if anything. If nothing then might try reseting your visual studio settings. A google search on process to do that likely is needed.

Comment

Thanks, Brett,

Funny you should say that. I just reinstalled NT8 and your zip file. The bottom line is that I can "Continue" past exceptions and get an apparently runnable NT. Here is what I did, and the result:
          • Uninstalled NT8, removed its folder, and the reinstalled it. This is totally vanilla. No settings of any kind changed, no unzipped VS stuff, no custom stuff added to the source tree.
          • Ran NT8, letting it copy over my NT7 stuff
          • Brought up the editor, did a debug mode compile, launched VS, attached to process
          • Back to the editor, recompiled, same exceptions shown
          • Connected to Kinetick, looks normal, no exceptions
          • Editor and compile, same reduced number of exceptions as in past reports
          • Created a chart, got 4 more of the FileNotFoundException
          • Exit, decline to save the workspace
          • Got the following exception 4 times ("Continue" after each one) before the exit was completed

Code:
          An exception of type 'System.Threading.ThreadAbortException' occurred in System.dll and wasn't handled before a managed/native boundary

Additional information: Thread was being aborted.
          Here is the output while exiting:
          Code:
          2016-09-06 13:13:28:709 Shutting down NinjaTrader
          2016-09-06 13:13:28:711 Disconnecting 'Kinetick – End Of Day (Free)'
          2016-09-06 13:13:28:712 (Kinetick – End Of Day (Free)) Cbi.Connection.Disconnect
          2016-09-06 13:13:28:712 (Kinetick – End Of Day (Free)) Cbi.Connection.ConnectionStatusCallback: status=Disconnecting priceStatus=Disconnecting previousStatus=Connected previousPriceStatus=Connected errorCode=NoError nativeError=''
          2016-09-06 13:13:28:712 (Kinetick – End Of Day (Free)) Cbi.Account.OnConnectionStatus: account='Sim101' fcm='' status=Disconnecting previousStatus=Connected message=''
          2016-09-06 13:13:28:716 (Kinetick – End Of Day (Free)) Cbi.Connection.ConnectionStatusCallback.Close1
          2016-09-06 13:13:28:722 (Kinetick – End Of Day (Free)) Cbi.Connection.ConnectionStatusCallback.Close3
          2016-09-06 13:13:28:722 (Kinetick – End Of Day (Free)) Cbi.Connection.ConnectionStatusCallback.Close4
          2016-09-06 13:13:28:722 (Kinetick – End Of Day (Free)) Cbi.Connection.ConnectionStatusCallback.Close5
          2016-09-06 13:13:28:722 (Kinetick – End Of Day (Free)) Cbi.Connection.ConnectionStatusCallback.Close6
          2016-09-06 13:13:28:724 (Kinetick – End Of Day (Free)) Cbi.Connection.ConnectionStatusCallback.Close7
          2016-09-06 13:13:28:724 (Kinetick – End Of Day (Free)) Cbi.Connection.ConnectionStatusCallback.Close8
          2016-09-06 13:13:28:726 (Kinetick – End Of Day (Free)) Kinetick.Adapter.Disconnect
          2016-09-06 13:13:28:728 (Kinetick – End Of Day (Free)) Cbi.Connection.ConnectionStatusCallback: status=Disconnected priceStatus=Disconnected previousStatus=Disconnecting previousPriceStatus=Disconnecting errorCode=NoError nativeError=''
          2016-09-06 13:13:28:729 (Kinetick – End Of Day (Free)) Cbi.Account.OnConnectionStatus: account='Sim101' fcm='' status=Disconnected previousStatus=Disconnecting message=''
          2016-09-06 13:13:28:732 Shutting down instrument management
          2016-09-06 13:13:28:735 Shutting down instrument threads
          2016-09-06 13:13:28:740 Shutting down BP thread
          2016-09-06 13:13:28:740 Shutting down data recorder
          2016-09-06 13:13:28:770 Shutting down file type watcher
          2016-09-06 13:13:28:770 Shutting down ATI server
          2016-09-06 13:13:28:772 Shutting down auto trade component
          Exception thrown: 'System.Threading.ThreadAbortException' in System.dll
          2016-09-06 13:15:24:735 Shutting down SMTP server
          Exception thrown: 'System.Threading.ThreadAbortException' in NinjaTrader.Core.dll
          2016-09-06 13:15:24:748 Shutting down adapter server
          2016-09-06 13:15:25:995 Shutting down server(s)
          2016-09-06 13:15:25:999 Shutting down mail thread
          2016-09-06 13:15:25:999 Shutting down sound thread
          2016-09-06 13:15:25:999 Shutting down timer
          2016-09-06 13:15:25:999 Shutting down alerts timer
          2016-09-06 13:15:25:999 Shutting down message timer
          2016-09-06 13:15:25:999 Shutting down db
          Exception thrown: 'System.Threading.ThreadAbortException' in NinjaTrader.Core.dll
          2016-09-06 13:15:26:023 Shutting down bars dictionary
          2016-09-06 13:15:26:027 Shutting down license threads
          2016-09-06 13:15:26:038 Shutting down logs
          2016-09-06 13:15:26:970 Shutting down bars types
          2016-09-06 13:15:28:867 Shutting down UI threads
          2016-09-06 13:15:28:870 ************************ Session End ************************
          =====

Next I unzipped the file allowing direct use of VS and then ran VS.
          • Set the startup project
          • Add NinjaTrader.Custom project, suppressed more warnings, and added the xcopy commands
          • Rebuild the solution; all successful (modulo the usual warnings)
          • Ran NT, go the splash screen up and then the following exception

Code:
          An exception of type 'System.ArgumentException' occurred in mscorlib.dll and wasn't handled before a managed/native boundary

• I clicked "Continue" and NT came up. The usual bunch of exceptions were shown in the output window. NT seems operational, though
          • Exit, declining to save workspace,
          • Got the same threading exceptions as reported above.

The bottom line is that
          • The exceptions are annoying, both that they occur at all and that I need to click "Continue":
          • NT does seem fully functional once I "Continue" past exceptions
          • I worry that the exceptions could mean NT is in a strange state. If something strange happens while debugging I'll never know whether it is a bug of mine that I need to find and fix, or whether it is an artifact of something the exceptions prevented from happening.
          • It would appear that NT has a problem shutting down its threads when exiting. This is consistent, whether NT is started manually or from VS.

--EV
          Last edited by ETFVoyageur; 09-06-2016, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Brett View Post
            Its almost got to be some settings in visual studio I feel. Since it only has issue when started from there.
            That's not correct. I see the exceptions in the output window, and get the threading exceptions on exit when using VS started from the NT editor -- i.e. NT started manually, not from VS.

--EV

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Brett View Post
              That's not correct. To be entirely clear, here is what happens:

On the way up -- if NT is launched manually, nothing is detected. That's because these exceptions are not logged / traced, and VS cannot yet be attached. If started from VS an exception is caught, but there is no reason to believe it is not also there in the manual case, just undetected.

Starting from the same point -- NT is up and VS is attached -- the exceptions seen are identical, It does not matter whether NT was launched manually and VS launched from NT, or whether VS was launched manually and used to start NT. Either way the same exceptions are seen.

To summarize the exceptions that VS breaks on -- there are two of them. The first happens on the way up and is detectable only if VS is already attached (i.e. NT is launched from VS)
              Code:

If I "OK" it, so I wind up in a break state, the stack is
              Code:
                   mscorlib.dll!System.Enum.EnumResult.SetFailure(System.Enum.ParseFailureKind failure, string failureMessageID, object failureMessageFormatArgument)    Unknown
                   mscorlib.dll!System.Enum.TryParseEnum(System.Type enumType, string value, bool ignoreCase, ref System.Enum.EnumResult parseResult)    Unknown
                   mscorlib.dll!System.Enum.Parse(System.Type enumType, string value, bool ignoreCase)    Unknown
                   NinjaTrader.VMRuntime.dll!lbU=.abc=.hrc=(ref object h7c=, object[] iLc=, bool ibc=, System.Reflection.MethodBase irc=, bool i7c=)    Unknown
                   NinjaTrader.VMRuntime.dll!lbU=.wLo=.xLo=(lbU=.Arc= value)    Unknown
              >    NinjaTrader.VMRuntime.dll!lbU=.yrY=.z7Y=(lbU=.Arc= 0LY=)    Unknown
                   NinjaTrader.VMRuntime.dll!VMRuntime.Libraries.CSVMRuntime.QrY=(lbU=.tbY= Q7Y=, lbU=.Arc= RLY=)    Unknown
                   NinjaTrader.VMRuntime.dll!VMRuntime.Libraries.CSVMRuntime.PrY=(System.Reflection.Assembly P7Y=, string QLY=, object[] QbY=)    Unknown
                   NinjaTrader.VMRuntime.dll!VMRuntime.Libraries.CSVMRuntime.RunMethod(string PQYB, object[] PgYB)    Unknown
                   NinjaTrader.Core.dll!NinjaTrader.Cbi.LicenseData.LicensedProviders.set(NinjaTrader.Cbi.Provider[] value)    Unknown
                   Microsoft.GeneratedCode!Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderLicenseData.Read5_LicenseData(bool isNullable, bool checkType)    Unknown
                   Microsoft.GeneratedCode!Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderLicenseData.Read6_LicenseData()    Unknown
                   System.Xml.dll!System.Xml.Serialization.TempAssembly.InvokeReader(System.Xml.Serialization.XmlMapping mapping, System.Xml.XmlReader xmlReader, System.Xml.Serialization.XmlDeserializationEvents events, string encodingStyle)    Unknown
                   System.Xml.dll!System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(System.Xml.XmlReader xmlReader, string encodingStyle, System.Xml.Serialization.XmlDeserializationEvents events)    Unknown
                   System.Xml.dll!System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(System.Xml.XmlReader xmlReader)    Unknown
                   NinjaTrader.Core.dll!NinjaTrader.Cbi.License.Verify(System.Action<string, NinjaTrader.Cbi.InvalidCode, bool> errorCallback)    Unknown
                   NinjaTrader.exe!NinjaTrader.AppHelper.OnStartup.AnonymousMethod__0(object o)    Unknown
                   mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext executionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback callback, object state, bool preserveSyncCtx)    Unknown
                   mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext executionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback callback, object state, bool preserveSyncCtx)    Unknown
                   mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()    Unknown
                   mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()    Unknown
              When continuing, NT comes up.

=====

The second exception type happens on exit. This happens regardless of how NT and VS were started. Starting either one manually, and then the other one from the manually-started one, produces multiple of the following on exit
              Code:
              An exception of type 'System.Threading.ThreadAbortException' occurred in System.dll and wasn't handled before a managed/native boundary

Additional information: Thread was being aborted.
              The stack for the first one is
              Code:
              >    ActiproSoftware.Text.Addons.DotNet.Wpf.dll!#H.#G.#eg(int #Dvf)    Unknown
                   ActiproSoftware.Text.Addons.DotNet.Wpf.dll!ActiproSoftware.Text.Languages.CSharp.Implementation.CSharpLexer.#xCc(ActiproSoftware.Text.ITextBufferReader #o6b, char #cvf)    Unknown
                   ActiproSoftware.Text.Addons.DotNet.Wpf.dll!ActiproSoftware.Text.Languages.CSharp.Implementation.CSharpLexer.GetNextToken(ActiproSoftware.Text.ITextBufferReader reader, ActiproSoftware.Text.Lexing.ILexicalState lexicalState)    Unknown
                   ActiproSoftware.Text.Wpf.dll!ActiproSoftware.Text.Lexing.Implementation.MergableLexerCoordinator.GetNextToken()    Unknown
                   ActiproSoftware.Text.LLParser.Wpf.dll!ActiproSoftware.Text.Parsing.LLParser.Implementation.MergableTokenReader.GetNextToken()    Unknown
                   ActiproSoftware.Text.Addons.DotNet.Wpf.dll!ActiproSoftware.Text.Languages.CSharp.Implementation.CSharpTokenReader.GetNextToken()    Unknown
                   ActiproSoftware.Text.LLParser.Wpf.dll!ActiproSoftware.Text.Parsing.LLParser.Implementation.TokenReaderBase.Advance()    Unknown
                   ActiproSoftware.Text.LLParser.Wpf.dll!#hSc.#WSc.#nXc(ActiproSoftware.Text.Parsing.LLParser.IParserState #Zb, #hSc.#6Sc #6Sc, ActiproSoftware.Text.Parsing.LLParser.Debugging.IDebugger #SBf)    Unknown
                   ActiproSoftware.Text.LLParser.Wpf.dll!#hSc.#WSc.Parse(ActiproSoftware.Text.Parsing.LLParser.IParserState #Zb, #hSc.#6Sc #6Sc)    Unknown
                   ActiproSoftware.Text.LLParser.Wpf.dll!ActiproSoftware.Text.Parsing.LLParser.Implementation.LLParserBase.Parse(ActiproSoftware.Text.Parsing.IParseRequest request)    Unknown
                   ActiproSoftware.Text.Wpf.dll!ActiproSoftware.Text.Parsing.Implementation.ThreadedParseRequestDispatcher.#0Yc.#nXc(ActiproSoftware.Text.Parsing.IParseRequest #FMc)    Unknown
                   ActiproSoftware.Text.Wpf.dll!ActiproSoftware.Text.Parsing.Implementation.ThreadedParseRequestDispatcher.#0Yc.#56c()    Unknown
                   mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext executionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback callback, object state)    Unknown
                   mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()    Unknown
              Subsequent stacks are the same, with just the actual function at the top of the stack changing:
              Code:
              >    System.dll!System.Net.SafeCloseSocket.InnerSafeCloseSocket.Accept(System.Net.SafeCloseSocket socketHandle, byte[] socketAddress, ref int socketAddressSize)    Unknown
                   System.dll!System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Accept()    Unknown
                   NinjaTrader.Core.dll!NinjaTrader.Server.AtiServer.Connect.AnonymousMethod__10_0()    Unknown
                   mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext executionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback callback, object state)    Unknown
              Code:
              >    NinjaTrader.Core.dll!NinjaTrader.Server.AtiServer.Connect.AnonymousMethod__10_0()    Unknown
              Code:
              >    NinjaTrader.Core.dll!NinjaTrader.Cbi.License.Log.AnonymousMethod__68_0(object o)    Unknown
              <etc>
              Code:
              >    NinjaTrader.Core.dll!NinjaTrader.Cbi.Log.ProcessInThread()    Unknown
              <etc>
              --EV
              Last edited by ETFVoyageur; 09-06-2016, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Just so there is no misunderstanding -- I am still seeing the File Not Found exceptions. I did not mention them in the last few posts because VS does not break on them -- they just show up in the output window. The same ones occur regardless of how NT is started.

--EV

Comment

Understand. The thread abort exception you can disregard. Largely expected on shutdown. Some exceptions are expected and handled appropriately. Unhandled exceptions are never expected however and we always trace that to the trace file. Which leads me to believe nothing is actually going wrong in NT.

I feel like you have visual studio settings to break on more exceptions then needed, perhaps too sensitive. Might try going into the Debug > Windows > Exceptions window and disable all exceptions. Does it change anything for you? Since you for sure can customize what exceptions you want visual studio to pick up on or disregard. I still feel all things point to visual studio settings. Which would cause problem across any c# app not just if its from the .zip or the visual studio feature in NinjaScript editor.

Out of ideas other then that for now. Might still be worth trying a reset of visual studio settings along the idea above.

Comment

Brett,

Thank you for your help. You got me thinking along the right lines. The solution turns out to be to check Debug | Options | Debugging | General | Enable Just My Code. That silences all of the exceptions chatter. NT now just comes up cleanly and exits cleanly (as far as anything I get to see).

Is there any drawback to "Enable Just My Code" that you or koganam or anyone else sees?

--EV

Comment

Na and in fact likely would recommend it. Glad we were able to get down to the bottom. I'll know for next time we have someone run into it so appreciate you updating the thread.

-Brett

Comment

Originally posted by ETFVoyageur View Post
                        Brett,

Thank you for your help. You got me thinking along the right lines. The solution turns out to be to check Debug | Options | Debugging | General | Enable Just My Code. That silences all of the exceptions chatter. NT now just comes up cleanly and exits cleanly (as far as anything I get to see).

Is there any drawback to "Enable Just My Code" that you or koganam or anyone else sees?

--EV
                        There could be, but then you would just turn back on the options to see everything again. ,NET uses a lot of internal "try...catch, but only log and continue" blocks. Those are what you are seeing. Pretty much the same that we have to do when we try to query all properties of an object, as any indexed properties trigger exceptions in GetValue(<object>, index). unless we already know the index, as most of us just use GetValue(<object>, null) routinely, because most of the properties will not be indexed anyway.
                        Last edited by koganam; 09-06-2016, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by tsantospinto, 04-12-2024, 07:04 PM
                        4 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post aligator  
                        Started by michi08, 10-05-2018, 09:31 AM
                        3 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB