Shutting Down & Restarting Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shutting Down & Restarting Problem

If I shut NT8 down and try to restart it will hang at the main screen, never connect to FXCM and I have to task manager out of the program. It takes a reboot of the computer to go live again.

Hello Segwin, and thank you for your question.

So we can further diagnose your system, please start NinjaTrader in Safe Mode.
    Safe Mode will prevent NinjaTrader from:
    • Loading workspaces.
    • Connecting on start-up.
    • Loading custom assemblies.
    • Getting instrument updates from the server.

To enable safe mode, please use the following steps:
    • Exit NinjaTrader.
    • Hold the CONTROL key and double click the NinjaTrader icon.
    • Keep the CONTROL key held down until you see the Control Center.
    • You can verify you are in safe mode by going to Help -> About.

If you are able to start in safe mode, please use these instructions to make a new workspace, and then then close all your other workspaces except your new workspace.

• Workspaces -> New -> Call this "September012016" -> OK
    • Workspaces -> (any other workspace) -> Close -> Yes
    • repeat previous step until all other workspaces are closed

Next, please configure your Rithmic connection to not connect on startup

• Connections -> Configure -> Select your rithmic connection in the lower left -> Uncheck "Connect on startup" -> OK

Once you have done this, please restart NinjaTrader. Please then send me your log and trace files, templates, and other files, so that I may look into what occurred.

You can do this by going to the Control Center-> Help-> Email Support.
    Please reference the following ticket number in the body of the email: 1565228 . Please also mention "Attn: NinjaTrader_JessicaP" in the body of your e-mail.
    IMPORTANT: Please also tick all the boxes in the "Other Files" section.

Once you have done all this, please try to reconnect to Rithmic, and report back to this thread with your findings.
    Jessica P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello Jessica,

I will do that. I don't connect to Rithmic however - I connect to FXCM (if that makes any difference).

Comment

Hello Jessica,

I installed NT8 for the very first time on August 31. I have it running on a PC with Windows 10 OS. Everything seemed to work fine initially. I successfully set up connections for both IB and IQFeed. I created several charts within one workspace and set up the Dynamic SuperDOM. That was all I did before shutting down for the afternoon. Then I came back later in the evening and got a windows error message that the program had failed and windows had to close it. I tried launching the app several more times but to no avail. So, because I could not get into the app I just uninstalled it and shut down my machine.

On 9/1, I reinstalled NT8 and launch it successfully. Then just to test things out I closed the app and re-launched it. Unfortunately, I got that same error message.

So, I wandered over to the forum, found this thread and followed your protocol. The app launched successfully in regular mode afterwards.

Questions
        1. Is it OK for me to check the box "Connect on Startup" for my connections (IB TWS and IQFeed)?
        2. What was the purpose of creating the new workspace in Safe Mode titled "September012016"? I only ask because per your instructions, while in safe mode, I closed (and saved) the very first workspace I created when I first downloaded NT8. After launching NT8 in regular mode, I only see a blank Untitled1 Workspace. Any idea what could have happened to the "September012016" workspace and my original workspace?

Comment

Hello Assiduous, I am glad that my instructions for Segwin were able to help you as well. I am happy to clarify my reasoning and answer any questions I can.

Generally, my goal with Segwin was to get Ninja to a point where it would successfully start, in a clean enough state that we could take further diagnostic and corrective action. A copy of NinjaTrader that does not load at all gives us no flexibility when we try to resolve queries.

1. Is it OK for me to check the box "Connect on Startup" for my connections (IB TWS and IQFeed)?
          If these connections are loading successfully, and not causing Ninja to hang, then yes. Segwin mentioned his connection was hanging completely and forcing him to kill the NinjaTrader process.

2. What was the purpose of creating the new workspace in Safe Mode titled "September012016"? I only ask because per your instructions, while in safe mode, I closed (and saved) the very first workspace I created when I first downloaded NT8. After launching NT8 in regular mode, I only see a blank Untitled1 Workspace. Any idea what could have happened to the "September012016" workspace and my original workspace?
          I have a limited picture of what is happening on Segwin's system. By asking Segwin to create a blank workspace, I eliminated a lot of things such as custom NinjaScript which could have been preventing Segwin's system from loading, and caused his system to more closely match my own. It is very easy for me to diagnose and repair other people's systems when I can reproduce what they are seeing on my end, and it is very easy to do that when they have a minimal installation.

The name of the workspace is not important. I picked the date as a name because it was unlikely to already exist on Segwin's system. If you have a blank Untiled 1 workspace, then you have a system which met my goals for Segwin's system.

Please let us know if there is any other way we can help.
          Jessica P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by bmartz, 03-12-2024, 06:12 AM
          5 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post NinjaTrader_Zachary  
          Started by Aviram Y, Today, 05:29 AM
          4 responses
          0 likes