NT8 RC1 keeps hanging in Playback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT8 RC1 keeps hanging in Playback

I am trying to test a strategy using market replay of the CL10-16 contract. But whenever I use the Go To... menu item in the Playback dialog, the Playback dialog goes grey and never recovers. I have to shut down NT8 and restart it. Then it happens again next time I try to change the Playback start date/time using Go To... or just moving the thumb on the slider. This only happens when I have my strategy on the chart. It works OK when there's no strategy or I put the Sample strategies on the chart.

I have Debug Mode on and I'm running VS 2010 with breaks in my code, but it's not hitting any breaks in OnBarUpdate. The NinjaTrader.exe process is sucking up 30% CPU, so it's looping somewhere internally. It's not processing bars when it's hanging like this -- how do I debug it?

Will there be a new release soon?

Thanks!
    Bryan
    Attached Files
    cassb
    NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Logical Forex

Does it do this without VS attached?

My strategy's stops aren't working after 1st trade in B13/RC1.

Comment

Originally posted by sledge View Post
      Does it do this without VS attached?

My strategy's stops aren't working after 1st trade in B13/RC1.

http://ninjatrader.com/support/forum...ad.php?t=89110
      Yes, it happens without VS attached. And it happens also whether I compiled with Debug Mode or not.
      cassb

Comment

Originally posted by cassb View Post
        Yes, it happens without VS attached. And it happens also whether I compiled with Debug Mode or not.
        I haven't had a hanging issue in a long time (~NTB6?)...

How much replay data do you have? How long have you waited?

Can you open task manager, and open resource monitor, and see if anything is happening, especially on disk activity with NT8 ? And if it is doing anything - can you wait longer?

I have seen where it does take a little longer in NT8B12, but I see it is loading data. No one ever confirmed to me they are pre-loading data. It would do this for ^VIX, but not ES.

Comment

Hello cassb,

Are you running the Playback with Market Replay data or with Historical data?

If no indicators or strategies are added to any charts within the workspace (and no other workspaces are open) are you still able to reproduce the behavior?

If so, please send an email to platformsupport [at] ninjatrader [dot] com so we may schedule a call where I may investigate the behavior on your end.
          Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB View Post
            Hello cassb,

Are you running the Playback with Market Replay data or with Historical data?

If no indicators or strategies are added to any charts within the workspace (and no other workspaces are open) are you still able to reproduce the behavior?

If so, please send an email to platformsupport [at] ninjatrader [dot] com so we may schedule a call where I may investigate the behavior on your end.
            Hi Chelsea. It's with Market Replay data that I downloaded in NT8. There are no other workspaces running, and no other indicators on any charts in the workspace. It does not happen when the strategy is disabled, only when it's enabled.

Just write to me or Skype me when you are ready.

Bryan
            cassb

Comment

By the way, it happens with both the 32-bit and 64-bit version.
              cassb

Comment

Hello cassb,

As this behavior can only be reproduced when using a strategy, we should focus on this strategy.

First, are you able to reproduce this behavior with the SampleMACrossOver strategy that is included with NinjaTrader?

Have you checked the computer resource usage to see if the CPU, memory, or Disc usage is high as sledge has suggested?

May I test your strategy on my end?

To export a NinjaTrader 8 NinjaScript do the following:
                1. Click Tools -> Export -> NinjaScript...
                2. Click the 'add' link -> check the box(es) for the script(s) you want to include
                3. Click the 'Export' button
                4. Enter a unique name for the file in the value for 'File name:'
                5. Choose a save location -> click Save
                6. Click OK to clear the export location message

By default your exported file will be in the following location:
                • (My) Documents/NinjaTrader 8/bin/Custom/ExportNinjaScript/<export_file_name.zip>

Below is a link to the help guide on Exporting NinjaScripts.

Comment

Market replay freezes - NT 8 RC1

I have also been having extensive problems in trying to run NT8 RC1 Market Replay without it freezing up on me. The only way I’ve been able to get Market Playback to run at all is to reboot my computer, start the NT8 program and directly go to the market playback mode. Once the market playback screens are up, I then get one opportunity to fast forward to the start time I’m going to use. I can then pause and restart the playback as many times as I want, but if I try to rewind I have to start all over again from a reboot. Quite an involved process, which is taken me awhile to figure out, but it has kept me limping along. Once I have market replay running in this manner, I can then simulate trades in their normal manner.

If I enter the program without a reboot of the computer, then I get a freeze up under the following conditions: if I enter a trade order, or if the program lets me enter the trade the program will freeze on the exit of that trade, or if I pause and rewind. I’ve tried this numerous times, and get the same result each time to varying degrees.

I’m running two screens with a total of four tick charts, two per screen. I do have replay tick enabled on the data, as well as EOD break enabled. I keep just one day of market data on my computer at one time. I do this to ensure that there is no confusion of what data file I'm using. I have reloaded this data via the NT Continuum connection several times and get the same results, so this does not appear to be a corrupted data issue.

Do you have a good handle on what this problem is? Anything I can do on my end to help things along? What are your projections for another version release?
                  Last edited by rfjoeyb; 09-13-2016, 10:37 AM. Reason: Paragraph spacing got omitted on submission

Comment

Hello rfjoeyb,

Are you able to reproduce this behavior with a single chart that has no indicators and no strategies applied?

Comment

Originally posted by rfjoeyb View Post

I’m running two screens with a total of four tick charts, two per screen. I do have replay tick enabled on the data, as well as EOD break enabled. I keep just one day of market data on my computer at one time. I do this to ensure that there is no confusion of what data file I'm using.

This could be a problem using 1 day of data only. I've never tested such a condition.

I have reloaded this data via the NT Continuum connection several times and get the same results, so this does not appear to be a corrupted data issue.
                      Wait - this implies you are using Playback-Historical?

Do you have a good handle on what this problem is? Anything I can do on my end to help things along? What are your projections for another version release?
                      No. Please tell us which instruments you are using in playback of 1 day only. And please confirm Historical, not market replay usage.

Comment

NT 8 Market Replay Issues

Hello NinjaTrader_ChelseaB, Per your suggestion, I loaded a new workspace with one tick chart that had no indicators or strategies applied. This 'plain vanilla approach' did fix my problems with Market Playback. I started adding my indicators back in, one at a time, and came across one indicator from and outside supplier that is causing the issues I'm seeing. I will take the issue up with the outside supplier. Thanks for you help on this.

Hello Sledge, I am using Market Replay Data that I get off of Ninja Continuum. Now that I have my 'problem' indicator removed, using one days worth of Market Replay data appears to work fine. You can also get Historical Data from Ninja Continuum, but that did not make my indicators work at all. The indicators I use only need to look back a few bars (near real time for scalping), and thus I don't need much data to get them working. Thanks for your help. Joe

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by elderan, Today, 08:03 PM
                        0 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post elderan
                        by elderan

Started by algospoke, Today, 06:40 PM
                        0 responses
                        0 likes