Instrument for Theoretical Testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instrument for Theoretical Testing

I am trying to develop some indicator based on theoretical models.

For example, it would need to test the indicator on theoretical prices model like a waveform.
    Example: Close[0] = Math.Sine(2*Math.PI * Phase[0] / Period)

Of course, I can create new DataSeries<T> to simulate this Price model inside the indicator script, but:
    - I would still have a real Instrument panel (no use in this case)
    - I could not separate the theoretical price window to the indicator window (different scales)
    - I could not use this theoretical price model as an input for other indicators, except than doing the same new DataSeries<T> in each indicator script.

I am using NT8 RC1.

My question is:
    does anyone have any suggestion if it's possible to create a "theoretical instrument" based on a formula (cf. above) that would be usable for any indicator and plottable in a separate panel than the indicator's ?

Hello alizes, and thank you for your question.

I would recommend making a new instrument via Tools -> Instruments -> add . The new instrument will have no volume or price information, and so any values that show up as y values will be coming from your indicator. You can then set up your candles and price marker so that they are transparent and invisible. I have included a video where I use the attached indicator on a chart, and a screen capture of my data series settings. I connected to the simulated datafeed with the fake instrument SINEWAVE to produce this chart. Please let us know if there are any other ways we can help.

Free online storage and sharing with Screencast.com. 2 GB of storage and 2 GB of bandwidth per month for free. We won't compress, alter or take ownership of your content.
    Attached Files
    Jessica P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello Jessica,

Thank you for the answer and the suggestions.

This is what I did too, but you improved the idea with the simulated data feed.
      Thanks !

Actually, I will rebound on your suggestion by doing :
      1) create the theoretical waveform indicator as you did in your example script
      2) as I want to keep my CQG connection openned, I call an ES instrument, paint it transparent and put on the left scale axis (an empty instrument is optional)
      3) I add the theoretical waveform indicator of step1 to visualize on the same panel (right axis)
      4) when I want to test my new indicators based on the theoretical waveform price (my original post question), then I call the theoretical waveform indicator in the Input (instead of the ES instrument). Just as simple !
      I've attached a snapshot for step 4 (RSI based on the theoretical waveform)

I'm taking the opportunity to thank all reps of NinjaTrader customer service here on this forum.
      I wish many tips exchanged on this forum could be more populated in the tip forum section.
      Attached Files

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by BarzTrading, Today, 07:25 AM
      2 responses
      1 like
      Last Post BarzTrading  
      Started by devatechnologies, 04-14-2024, 02:58 PM
      3 responses
      0 likes