Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Conditionally Hiding Indicator Properties if on chart or in custom column

Hi,

I have an indicator that I can put on my chart or host in a custom column. Some of the properties should be hidden if the control is placed in a custom column.

How can I control which properties or property groups are shown or hidden if the indicator is placed on a chart or placed in a custom column?

Thank you in advance.

Hello KhaosTrader,

Having properties be public / not public, or disabled / enabled with logic would require a custom type converter that modifies the property descriptor collection.

Currently, this is outside of the realm of what can be supported by NinjaTrader support, however, this thread will remain open for any community members that would like to assist.

As a tip, the RegressionChannel has unsupported code that demonstrates modifying the property descriptor collection.
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi, are you sure its the RegressionChannel Indicator that has this? I didnt see any code that deals with the PropertyDescriptorCollection or anything like that

Comment

KhaosTrader,

The RegressionChannel drawing tool specifically. On lines 23 through 55 and 63.

Comment

Hello,

I strongly urge you to reconsider Ninjatraders stance on non-support of this feature. Here is why:

It is extremely powerful that you can use a off the shelf indicator or custom indicator in your market analyzer. However, there often (in custom indicator scripts), fields such as plot color, show plot, or other graphical setting which is not appropriate to a column. The idea of being able to prune the list of settings based on where the script is being hosted (on a chart or in a column) allows wonderful code re-use. Its a very nice and powerful feature.

I already use "ChartControl != null" for efficiency such that certain aspects of my indicator which are not needed to be calculated for non-chart instantiations. Now I just need to hide certain or show certain fields based on where the control is hosted. Or even how alerts are generated... If its on a chart maybe Text to speech will announce the setup in a detailed way, however if its hosted on a grid, where its monitoring dozens of instruments, maybe an alert beep is only necessary as the field in the grid can show which insturment and timeframe is having the condition

Ok, so I gave a few examples of why we should hide certain setting parameters should be hidden if on a market analyzer and not a chart.. but there are uses for the opposite, where certain setting parameters should only be shown in the market analyzer and not the chart, i can give examples of such cases if you wish.

The point is, as coders, we look to write less code, and centralize logic appropriately. to have the ability of hiding property parameters based on what the indicator is placed on is extremely powerful and convenient if you use it properly as I am trying to do.

I hope Ninjatrader can see what I am saying and appreciate it, and more importantly support it.

Respecfully,

KhaosTrader

Comment

Hello KhaosTrader,

We highly appreciate your feedback.

It has been previously requested that NinjaTrader fully support custom type converters.
            This request is being tracked with ID# SFT-1558.

I have added your vote toward this request.

Please let me of any other suggestions or requests you have for the NinjaTrader Platform.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by alifarahani, Today, 09:40 AM
            3 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse  
            Started by RookieTrader, Today, 09:37 AM
            4 responses
            0 likes