Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT8 Enhancement Requests

Hi!

I'd like to request an Option be provided called "Open most recent Workspace on Startup".

The current behavior of NT8 uses "True" as that value. It could be the default.

I would like the ability to set it to False so that _when_ (not if!) there is some technical issue that crashes NT8, makes it unresponsive, or even windows needs a reboot, etc, Then I will be able to quickly and manually open a greatly simplified minimalist "trading" workspace in order to close positions without having to wait for the most recent workspace to load.

The issue that makes me nervous is that a complex workspace can take on the order of 60 seconds to open--with windows flashing in front of one another (when using multiple windows desktops). And please also imagine a worst case scenario where there is some bug that rears its head due to the use of this complex workspace that would cuase NT8 to continue to crash each time during startup. To get out of that loop probably the xml files would need to be manually edited to startup NT8 in "safe mode". I will practice this approach if needed but am hoping for an integrated solution.

I also wish when a workspace is closed that the prior does _not_ open (can be 60s delay/mistake) but that is minor and just a personal preference.

Thanks,
    Chris

The way out of that problem... Just go to your "my documents folder" ninja 8, workspaces, and rename the workspace, then relaunch ninja 8, that does the trick...

Comment

Originally posted by crokusek View Post
      Hi!

I'd like to request an Option be provided called "Open most recent Workspace on Startup".

The current behavior of NT8 uses "True" as that value. It could be the default.

I would like the ability to set it to False so that _when_ (not if!) there is some technical issue that crashes NT8, makes it unresponsive, or even windows needs a reboot, etc, Then I will be able to quickly and manually open a greatly simplified minimalist "trading" workspace in order to close positions without having to wait for the most recent workspace to load.

The issue that makes me nervous is that a complex workspace can take on the order of 60 seconds to open--with windows flashing in front of one another (when using multiple windows desktops). And please also imagine a worst case scenario where there is some bug that rears its head due to the use of this complex workspace that would cuase NT8 to continue to crash each time during startup. To get out of that loop probably the xml files would need to be manually edited to startup NT8 in "safe mode". I will practice this approach if needed but am hoping for an integrated solution.

I also wish when a workspace is closed that the prior does _not_ open (can be 60s delay/mistake) but that is minor and just a personal preference.

Thanks,
      Chris
      It is possible to start NT8 in safe mode with a key combination, but what you describe is a bit more nuanced and I would like to state that I agree with your suggestion. It would definitely provide a little more safety for our accounts.

Just my $0.02.

ref: http://ninjatrader.com/support/forum...t.php?p=464679

Note: NT Support, I am reasonably sure of what I wrote here about starting with no workspace, but I cannot find the information in the NT Help manual. Kindly document this, as well as how to specify the data directory for NT to use.

Edit: Found and added a reference from the Forum.
      Last edited by koganam; 09-28-2016, 11:26 AM.

Comment

@koganam, could you verify the posted link? It takes me to a script for custom indicator.
        Thanks,
        Chris

Comment

Originally posted by crokusek View Post
          @koganam, could you verify the posted link? It takes me to a script for custom indicator.
          Thanks,
          Chris
          Oops. I surely do not know how I managed to do that one.

I have corrected the link in the original post.

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for your posts.

This sounds like a fantastic idea that we can add to future releases of NinjaTrader 8, I will submit this as a feature request to our development team so that we may get it implemented in the future.

In the mean time, as koganam has mentioned we do have a safe mode that can be launched by holding Ctrl when you launch the platform.

Safe mode consists of:
            -No workspaces loaded
            -No auto connect
            -No custom assemblies loaded
            -No add ons loaded
            -No instrument updates from servers

Please let us know if we may assist further.
            Justin S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

My workspaces load in a second. If NT crashes it should load the last workspace as always.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by jpapa, Today, 07:22 AM
              1 response
              0 likes
              Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby  
              Started by kevinenergy, 02-17-2023, 12:42 PM
              116 responses
              1 like
              Last Post kevinenergy