Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scrolling with Mouse-Wheel "stalls"

Minor issue:

I found some strange behavior comparing NT7 to NT8 when scrolling through charts with the mouse wheel.

I open the same simple chart in NT7 and NT8 (a 5-Min-chart of the ES). Like most others, my mouse-wheel moves in clearly defined steps, "clicking" for each little partial move.

When I move the mouse-wheel by one single click, the chart in both, NT7 and NT8 scrolls horizontally exactly three bars for each click - all good so far.

But, if I move the mouse-wheel quickly, like to scroll back dozens bars or so, or rotate the mouse wheel quickly for say, half a wheel-rotation, NT7 scrolls the charts as intended, while NT8 seems to "swallow" lots of mouse-wheel-clicks. Both charts end up in totally different places but only when turning the mouse-wheel pretty quickly. In other words - if I want to scroll back quickly with the mouse-wheel, I need three to five times more finger-work in NT8 than in NT7. If I scroll slowly, "click-by-click", both NT's scroll exactly three bars per click.

Kind of hard to describe the behavior for me, hope you get it anyway. Don't know what to do with that, but it feels kind of uncomfortable now. Scrolling with scroll-bar works fine, by the way - no issues there.

Hello RonnyKeller,
    Can you please clarify which version of the NinjaTrader 8 beta you are currently using? You can find this by going to the Control Center > Help > About.

Comment

Does this happen with a chart with bars only? (No indicators)

How many days have you loaded?

What are your system specs/components?

Comment

@RyanM: this happens in RC2

@sledge: this example is from a 5-Min-Candle-chart of the ES (session-only template), loading 30 days, leading to a chart with approximately 2'400 candles overall (where 150 candles are displayed on the screen). Indicator applied is a ema/20 plus some sessionHighLow and YesterdaysHighLow. Specs for my HW-setup are way beyond the requirements as was confirmed by NinjaTrader-support on other occasions.

The faster I rotate the mouse-wheel, the more software-events seem to be missed in NT8, while NT7 does not have an issue with any mouse-wheel-speed.

Comment

Hello RonnyKeller,
          I have tested this on my side. I have minimal decrease for the mouse wheel functionality within NinjaTrader 8. However when I tested with another mouse wheel I received the same functionality. Can you please check your mouse settings within windows regarding the mouse wheel and test again?

Comment

Hi Ryan
            I use an extra responsive, very accurate Logitech-Gaming-LaserMouse G700s (because its several additional buttons make trading so much more comfortable), and I use it for quite some time now - probably still the best mouse available. I had never any lagging within any other software with this mouse except for NT8. As I mentioned I compared NT7 to NT8 in my initial post, both of course on the same PC with the same mouse. The producer praises this mouse for "consistent 1ms report rate" and "capturing moves eight times faster than a standard USB mouse". As my PC and all other software could easily handle the input-signals of this mouse, I assume another performance-issue in NT8, perhaps similar to the cross-hair-issue several users reported already.

Comment

Think this is worse than I initially thought. Said gaming mouse-wheel can be switched to a super fast free-spinning mode (no clicks, barely getting slower once moved). In NT7 this type of super-fast scrolling moves through hundreds of bars within seconds.

Comparison: 20-days 5-min session candles, results in a range of approximately 1200 bars. Chart-window is shrunk to show 100 candles at a time.

NT7: spinning the wheel once (in free-mode) scrolls through the entire chart in a little more than one second - the mouse, the PC and NT7 easily process 400 mouse-wheel steps (3 candles per step) in one second (and could go even faster if I'd spin harder)

NT8: takes some 20 seconds to scroll through this 20 days of 5-min-candles - wow!

I think this is more than a "minor issue" (term I used in my initial post in this thread) - NT misses the major part of alls those incoming mouse-wheel-events...
              Last edited by RonnyKeller; 10-12-2016, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Hello Ronny,
                I am currently in contact with the Product Management team regarding the scroll function of high performance mouses and NinjaTrader 8. I will update you with more information when I receive a response.

Comment

Hello RonnyKeller,
                  After speaking with the product management team I have submitted a request to have a feature implemented regarding Mouse scroll wheel sensitivity within NinjaTrader 8. You may use the SFT code of SFT-460 when requesting updated information regarding your inquiry.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by GwFutures1988, Today, 02:48 PM
                  1 response
                  0 likes
                  Last Post NinjaTrader_Clayton  
                  Started by ScottWalsh, 04-16-2024, 04:29 PM
                  6 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post ScottWalsh