Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Log exceptons with exact values

Hi,
    I would like to ask you to update exception messages, so they more detailed,
    and allow us (users) and also you (NT developers) to investigate problems efficiently.

Example of current insufficient message exception:
    A Sell stop order placed at '07.11.2008 14:30:00' has been ignored since the stop price is greater than or equal to the close price of the current bar. This is an invalid order and subsequent orders may also be ignored. Please fix your strategy.

It is quite good, but not enough. For example: I got such exception 2 day ago, and I can't fix anything. I checked the problem, code and the bars - and they are all OK. The problem reported in exception message does not exist. So to resolve this, we need to see, what NT8 sees (when throwing exception), so I can evaluate, if it is really mistake in my code, or something in NT8 is wrong.

Example expected = detailed message exception:
    A Sell stop order placed at '07.11.2008 14:30:00' has been ignored since the stop price (1.3290) is greater than or equal to the close price (1.3283) of the current bar. This is an invalid order (BUY LIMIT 7 6E at 1.3290, submitted into timeframe BIP: 2) and subsequent orders may also be ignored. Please fix your strategy
    Also STACKTRACE would be very very useful for understanding context / calls, where to debug!

All data in red color are missing, but these are very important missing details, helping to identify and spot the problem, especially if there are many orders and situation is complex.

So please provide exact values (especially values, that NT8 observes, when reporting problem) and all important related informations. It is simply not sufficient to say, that at time X was invalid order - all relevant details need to be provided to debug, find the problem and differentiate between issue custom-user-code vs NT8 code.

This detailed logging is especially required in all exceptions related to Orders.

You (NT8 developers) know, how hard is to fix things in darkness of weak informations (provided by us, many users) or insufficiently informative logs.

This really needs to be improved. It is cheap to do, and it is the best investment, how to save time in the future work.
    Last edited by misova; 10-17-2016, 03:44 PM.

Hello misova,

I have submitted a feature request to the product management team for the following feature :

This customer would like information which can match error output to e.g. orders and prices to show up in log error messages
    I will follow up with more information as soon as it's available. If the feature requests already exists, a vote will be added to it.

With respect to stack traces, if your code is generating exceptions in userspace and you are not receiving a stack trace, please let us know so we can investigate further.

Thank you for helping to improve NinjaTrader
    Jessica P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello misova ,

This feature is being reviewed by the product management team and has been assigned the following unique tracking ID

SFT-1216

Please let us know if there is any other way we can help.
      Jessica P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello misova,
        so I can evaluate, if it is really mistake in my code, or something in NT8 is wrong.
        I think there is something wrong with the current NT rule for stop price. See here

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by gentlebenthebear, Today, 01:30 AM
        2 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post gentlebenthebear  
        Started by Kaledus, Today, 01:29 PM
        2 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post Kaledus