Start Drawing Tool With Template

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Start Drawing Tool With Template

The new drawing templates are a nice addition, but you need a way to start a drawing using a template. For example, if I have 5 different line templates, I do not want to draw a line, then apply the template after the fact. This is especially true of custom drawings (another really nice addition) that might have all kinds of options.

One idea for development is to make the Drawing menu use another layer of menu when there are templates other than Default defined. For example, the Line drawing menu would expand to a sub menu showing the names of the saved line templates, and selecting one of those would start a new line drawing, but apply the selected template first. Having the ability to specify what tool/templates are on the menu would be even better, as I may not even use most of the tools. There may be a better way to do this.

Ideally, this would be expanded to hot keys as well, so a hot key could be defined for a "tool, template" combination.

I have not played with the toolbar yet, but being able to build a custom toolbar that could initiate drawings with an associated template would be also be ideal. I am aware of Sim22's toolbar, but again there needs to be a way to initiate a drawing with a template.

Related item, no way for a current drawing to load a template. You can save a drawing as a template with SaveToTemplateFile(), but there should be a related member to LoadFromTemplateFile().

Comment

Hello Aslane,

Thank you for your note.

Being able to select a drawing template at the time of drawing is not something that is currently possible however I will forward your suggestion to the development team and ask them if they can add this to a list of future considerations for the software.

In regards to the custom toolbar. Templates can be called through NinjaScript through overloads, for example,
      Draw.Line(NinjaScriptBase owner, string tag, bool isAutoScale, int startBarsAgo, double startY, int endBarsAgo, double endY, string templateName)

But there is currently no way to do this manually when drawing the object on the chart through the UI, is this what you are suggesting?

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance.
      Alan P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I am aware of the overloads with the template name when creating a drawing from NinaScript, which is good when you know what you are creating. However, either from an indicator or an AddOn, you need the ability to "start" a new drawing with/without a template. This is required to build interactive drawing interfaces.

Comment

Hello,

I have forwarded this request to our development team for future consideration. The feature request ID for this item is SFT-1701.

Thank you for your feedback.
          Alan P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by Javierw.ok, Today, 04:12 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post Javierw.ok  
          Started by timmbbo, Today, 08:59 AM
          2 responses