Odd memory growth problem observed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odd memory growth problem observed

One of my indicator customers observed and reported this rather odd memory growth problem.

This is very easily reproducible, on 32 and 64 bit versions of NT8 RC2, on Windows 7 and Windows 10, and it is independent of any indicators attached to the chart.

Do this:
    1. Shutdown NT8.
    2. Remove _Workspaces.xml just to be sure you don't start with any existing charts open.
    3. Start NT (mine auto-connects... don't know if that's relevant).
    4. Open Windows Task Manager and find/highlight NinjaTrader.exe so you can see the memory usage.
    5. Create a new chart (I did a 5min, 5 day, ES 12-16 RTH chart... don't know if the specifics matter)
    6. Now while watching the memory utilization of the NinjaTrader.exe, hover you mouse pointer over the NT icon on the Windows task bar.... memory utilization increases (rapidly).

I've repeated this experiment with other processes (like Skype and TeamViewer) and they don't seem to do this.

I have no idea why this is happening and am wondering if this may reveal some fundamental defect within the NT framework; hopefully, someone can explain this.

Originally posted by CriticalTrader View Post
    One of my indicator customers observed and reported this rather odd memory growth problem.

This is very easily reproducible, on 32 and 64 bit versions of NT8 RC2, on Windows 7 and Windows 10, and it is independent of any indicators attached to the chart.

Do this:
    1. Shutdown NT8.
    2. Remove _Workspaces.xml just to be sure you don't start with any existing charts open.
    3. Start NT (mine auto-connects... don't know if that's relevant).
    4. Open Windows Task Manager and find/highlight NinjaTrader.exe so you can see the memory usage.
    5. Create a new chart (I did a 5min, 5 day, ES 12-16 RTH chart... don't know if the specifics matter)
    6. Now while watching the memory utilization of the NinjaTrader.exe, hover you mouse pointer over the NT icon on the Windows task bar.... memory utilization increases (rapidly).

I've repeated this experiment with other processes (like Skype and TeamViewer) and they don't seem to do this.

I have no idea why this is happening and am wondering if this may reveal some fundamental defect within the NT framework; hopefully, someone can explain this.

I believe NT8 final release will resolve all memory issues. Fingers crossed it comes out in the next 2-3 weeks.

Comment

Is this wishful thinking or do you have inside information that specific known defects have been fixed?

Comment

read other posts, NT8 acknowledges an issue with memory and I myself have mentioned it to them a few times. What I read from other posters is that RC1 doesn't have that issue. I can't confirm that but the final release will address the issue we are facing.

Try running a tick-by-tick optimization with over 1000 iterations and watch your memory usage..

Comment

Great. Thanks ashmanz80.

A link to one reference for others:

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for your post. I have tested and confirmed this on our side and we are looking into the issue. I will update this post as I have more information regarding this. Thank you for your patience.
            Kenneth D.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you Kenneth, but it was my understanding from the comment made by ashmanz80 and the thread I then referenced, that this is already a known issue which is being fixed in the next beta... see NinjaTrader_Brett's 10-18-2016, 07:56 PM comment.

It would be very helpful for the community of developers to understand the specific cause of this memory growth problem; a helpful teaching opportunity, so we may become more skilled in avoiding potentially similar defects in our own code.

Please communicate this to Product Management (NinjaTrader_Brett) as well.

Thanks again.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by Gerik, Today, 09:40 AM
              1 response
              0 likes
              Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby  
              Started by RookieTrader, Today, 09:37 AM
              1 response
              0 likes