Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

using IB real time data with NJ script dev question

Dear All,

I am new here in this forum and would like to automate some of my basic manual buy order through IB API + NinJa Script Editor.
    What i want to achieve is kinda simple: buy stock XXX when it's (hourly chart) RSI / Stochastic RSI reaches below 10).

I researched a while found IB API can extract real time data, but heard Ninja has done many work under C# so that i can focus on building model/strategy.
    Want to ask folks on this forum, do you think what i want to achieve is feasible using IB API + NinjaScript Editor?
    Any reference for help me to getting started? Can i use IB API to extract real time data under Ninja Script Editor and execute order ?

Many Thanks!

Hello jlfrc444,

Welcome to the support forums.

You are correct, NinjaScript is an API to do various actions in NinjaTrader and that is written using C# language.

What you described is certainly possible, a condition like that could be created. You could use the Strategy Builder to make a condition like that and the builder can also generate the C# syntax if you wanted to see/unlock the strategy for manual editing.

A condition like that is fairly simple and could become true more than once in a row, if you wanted to only see events where the crossing happens then you could use the Cross Below/Above methods to do that.

To get started I would suggest watching the webinars that cover the builder and NinjaScript editor. Those have a lot of the fundamentals in them and how to operate those tools. Once you understand the tools the help guide is really the next best resource as there are many samples covering a lot of topics.

Here are some public links to get you started.

NinjaScript editor:

Strategy Builder:

For more advanced strategies there are some comments noted in some help guide pages surrounding IB. That mainly would be when you are working with more advanced strategies and managing order objects yourself. I just wanted to point this out so you keep in mind to pay attention to the Notes, Tips and other highlighted sections in the help guide pages.

I look forward to being of further assistance.
    JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks Jesse for your quick response, may i know which version of Ninja Trader (8 vs 7) should i get for my purpose? also i notice that there is free, lease and premium version. Which version should i get as i am mostly focused on automating some basic strategy here.

Comment

Hello jlfrc444,

I would suggest going with 8. The main reason that 7 is still available is that there was a lot of user content for that and it has not all been converted at this point by the third party developers. Most users are using NT8 and creating content for that at this point.

You can find information about the different license types on the main website linked below. By downloading the platform it comes default with the @Sim license key which would allow for simulated trading and NinjaScript use. If you are only learning NinjaScript you don't really need to worry about a license at this point, that would mainly be used for live trading and unlocking the other features like OrderFlow. You can use the NinjaScript features with the default license key, the keys listed on the website are the live keys which allow for trading and the different levels of the platform they unlock. When you choose to obtain a license you would need to choose what works best for you or to either lease or own the license, that does not change the features which come with said key.
        Get started with our free plan to trade with discounted commissions or choose a plan upgrade to further reduce commissions on your trades.

I look forward to being of further assistance.
        JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by Javierw.ok, Today, 04:12 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post Javierw.ok  
        Started by timmbbo, Today, 08:59 AM
        2 responses
        0 likes