Momentum Bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Momentum Bars

I have momentum bars on my tradestation platform but not on ninjatrader and I can't seem to find any download for it in the forum...can someone please point me to a download link if there are momentum bars for NT? Thanks

P.

Hello plemal,
    Thanks for your note.

The Momentum indicator comes default with NinjaTrader.
    • Right click on the chart
    • In the context menu click on Indicators....
    • In the Indicators dialog select the indicator Momentum and click on the New button
    • Click Ok to apply it.

By measuring the amount that a security's price has changed over a given time span, the Momentum indicator provides an indication of a market's velocity and to some degree, a measure of the extent to which a trend still holds true. It can also be helpful in spotting likely reversal points.
    JoydeepNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

re: momentum

I'm not really looking for the momentum indicator just the momentum "price bars"... I guess they are kind of like range bars but somehow different..

Momentum Bars look like standard bars, but are different in four ways:
      1. Momentum Bars are all equal in height, based on the Range specified by the user.
      2. The open of each Momentum Bar is always one price tick above or below the close of the previous Momentum Bar; since a new bar cannot be started until the specified Range is exceeded. This is the primary difference between Momentum Bar and Range Bar charts.
      3. Momentum Bar closes are always at the top or bottom of the bar.
      4. Momentum Bars charts have no gaps
      Does NT have these? Thanks

P

Comment

Hello plemal,
        Are you referring to the Renko bars. Please refer to the attached screenshot which depicts the Renko bars.

If not can you please upload a screenshot of the bars so that I can have a clear view.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Joydeep View Post
          Hello plemal,
          Are you referring to the Renko bars. Please refer to the attached screenshot which depicts the Renko bars.

If not can you please upload a screenshot of the bars so that I can have a clear view.
          Joydeep,

No. He is talking about Momentum Bars. This is not a default Bar Type in Ninja. This is an example that Ninja has a lot of catching up to do with the rest of the industry.

Plemel,

Here is a link:

Hi E, I have not evaluated, but it does compile with Final4... can I change the Gap Setting // Add a 5RMomentum Chart object to the strategy Add(PeriodType.Final4,5); Bob hi Bob, thanks for the kind words. should be no problem incorporating MomentumBars into a strategy. the default PeriodType used in the code is Final4 (which you can change if Final4 is already in use). here's a link to the NT7 reference guide: NinjaTrader Version 7 ( in the examples given, you could replace "PeriodType.Minute" …

You need to be a Big Mike's member to download the open source code. If you want a compiled source code (not an open source) try the following link:

Last edited by aligator; 11-14-2012, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Re: Momentum bars

Well they do look like range bars and like alligator said NT doesn't have it..

Free online storage and sharing with Screencast.com. 2 GB of storage and 2 GB of bandwidth per month for free. We won't compress, alter or take ownership of your content.

Thanks

P.

Comment

Hello plemal,
              Thanks for the screenshot.

Unfortunately NinjaTrader does not have the Momentum BarsType by default. You can try the suggestions as provided by aligator.

@aligator - thanks for your input.

Comment

I know this is a bit late, but for reference (having just had this discussion and confusion over definitions/ terminology, etc with a couple of traders), what TradeStation calls a Momentum Bars Chart is in fact the same as the default Range Bars Chart in NinjaTrader.

Regards
                ZZ

Comment

Thanks ZZ-I almost forgot about this!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by Segwin, 05-07-2018, 02:15 PM
                  10 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post Leafcutter