CCI using ZeroLagEMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CCI using ZeroLagEMA

Those of you who like the CCI but dislike how it lags behind price and are tired of being a day late and a dollar short on your entries and exits may want to take a look at this. The CCI uses (high+low+close)/3 to calculate price. Well I changed that to use the ZeroLagEMA formula that is posted in this forum. I really like the zero lag ema indicator but also like the CCI and the idea of combining them came to me one night as I was going to bed. I also like the work that Gumphrie and I did on the Adaptive CCI and other work we did on another Alternate CCI. Anyway, I combined all these into one indicator called the ZeroLagEMA_CCI and am including it here for you all to take a look at.

By the way, the adaptive cci had a problem coloring the histgrams correctly. That problem is corrected in this indicator.

The indicator uses the adaptive CCI code so you have a variable period that is based on John Ehlers work. Same code as you saw in the Adaptive CCI Gumphrie and I posted some time ago. That indicator also plotted 4 additional CCIs that calculated price in a way that weighted those plots to the most recent bars to theoretically give you a better indication of which way price is going. Those same plots are included in this new indicator as well.

I also include the capability to bypass the adaptive period and use a static period. There is a parameter called StaticPeriod which by default is set to 1. Setting to 1 enables the adaptive period and setting it to anything other that 1 causes the adaptive code to be bypassed and your static period is used. I suggest using a period of 10. You'll be surprised at how smooth it is as compared to a normal 14 period CCI.

Just like with the adaptive CCI, you can select up to 4 of the alternate CCIs to be plotted and can also select the number of bars each of these alternate CCIs will use. You can look at the code to find out what this setting actually does. By default, 4 are plotted.

When using the adaptive period, you can change the adaptive period that the algorithm calculates by setting the PeriodMultiplier parameter to some integer value like 2, 3, 4 ... So, if the algorithm calculates a period of 14, a PeriodMultiplier setting of 2 will change the period to 28.

Other parameters included are a smoothing factor for both the main CCI and the Alternate CCIs, DisplayRules set to true causes triangles to be plotted on price when all the Alternate CCIs are pointing in the same direction. Really this is the same thing as the histogram at this point. I anticipate modifying the rules in a way that actually evaluates other criteria so possible entries are identified with these triangles. As I said, the triangles reflect the exact same thing as the histograms. Oh by the way, I guess I should explain the histograms.

The histogram color tells you which direction the alternate CCIs are pointing. Red tells you that all the alternate CCIs are pointing down, blue is up, and gray means they are pointing in different directions. A good way to watch for reversals is to look for the CCI pointing one direction and all the alternate CCIs are pointing in the opposite direction. Obviously this doesn't work very well when a divergence is occuring. But, I think there are other ways to identify when a divergence is occuring so you don't take the reversal entry and get caught.

Now back to the other parameters...The last parameter set is the SessionEnd and SessionStart. These only apply to the DisplayRules parameter. If DisplayRules is set to true then the triangles are only plotted between those hours.

I think that about covers it. I hope you like this and find it useful. I'm still defining how I want to use it so am still unclear if I will be using it long term or not. Tomorrow, March 31, will be my first day to actually use it trading.

Good luck and I look forward to your comments.

Mike Winfrey
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Mike Winfrey; 03-30-2008, 09:02 AM.

By the way, just thought I'd mention that the adaptive period really doesn't work well with the ZeroLagEMA_CCI because it's just too long of a period for the alternate CCIs to be that good. However, you can make the color of the Alternate CCI's to be transparent so they don't show up. I may spend more time with this at some point if others think it's worthwhile.

Mike

Comment

Thanks for the contribution Mike.
      Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Help Please?

Hi Mike,

Firstly, many thanks from a fellow trader from down under. Your work on ZeroLagEMA and Adaptive CCI are exceptional.

I have been trading (part time) the CCI for nearly three years now. I have been down many paths and have tried to adapt but have only managed to break even using the CCI. I have been to the WCCI forum but I am not interested in their stuff.

I just wanted to ask a couple of question about your work on Adaptive CCI and ZeroLagEMA..

1. You have a parameter that turns it into a static period. Isn't this against the intention of the indicator in terms of adapting to the cycles in the market?
        2. What PeriodMulitplier setting have you found to work best? This may need to be adjusted from time to time I suspect.
        3. What time frames are you using to trade with it? 5 mim, tick charts etc?
        4. How is your trading going with it? Are you still using it?

Cheers
        Darren

Comment

Thanks Darren. I kind of like both the adaptive and zero lag CCIs.

Question Number 1: yes, using the static period most definitely prevents use of the adaptive period. That's the intent. I wanted to be able to use one indicator for both adaptive and static. I use both.

Question Number 2: You're going to find this funny probably but I like a period mulitplier of 4. But it really depends on how you want to use it.

Question Number 3: The indicators can be used with any timeframe or market. I personally prefer a 1000v chart. But I've also used it on 1, 3, and 5 min charts as well.

Question Number 4: Yes I'm still using it and actually I use it along with several other indicators. Something you need to understand about me is that I'm not an accomplished trader. I have only been at this for 2 years and am still trying to find my way. I merely provide the indicators because someone else might find better ways to use them and share their trading plans here.

I would appreciate you sharing any trading plans you may develop using these indicators.

Thanks,
          Mike

Comment

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply.

It seems like we may be in different time zones. If you prefer I will PM my email address and we can discuss outside forum some more.

I have been trading using the CCI for 3 years now. Takes quite a bit of chart time to get use to. Can be quite frustrating at times.

I have been using adaptive CCI and your smooth ZeroLagEMA CCI in static mode with some positive results so far. I prefer the static version only because the dynamic one flattens out the CCI quite a lot and makes it hard to read. Not too sure why this is. I am trading similar to how Doug Tucker has explained on his site.

Cheers
            Darren

Comment

Mike Winfrey,

Again and I thank you and Gumphrie for all the work you've done. Just found this thread!

Mike

Comment

You're Welcome...

Comment

I'm taking stats using the Adaptive CCI and am trying to use the Data Box to give me CCI levels instead of "eyeballing" it. But, unlike other indicaotrs I have on my chart, the Adaptive_CCI and Adaptive_Alternative_CCI levels don't show up in the Data Box. Any suggestions?

Comment

change the "display in data box" property to true. That's basic ninjatrader operation.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by benmarkal, Yesterday, 12:52 PM
                    3 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby  
                    Started by helpwanted, Today, 03:06 AM
                    1 response
                    0 likes
                    Last Post sarafuenonly123