Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for Swing Indicator

Hello All,

I'm looking for a Swing Indicator that is not defined by Strength or # of Bars!
    Does anyone know of any Swing indicator that is Not Plotted in this manner?

I would like if it can be plotted or defined based on Swings above or below say
    a 50 SMA. If your looking at Swings above or below the 50SMA, How many Strength or Bars is that? That's my point! If the swings could be plotted according to crossing of the 50 SMA, then we would have true Swing Highs and Lows Above and Below the 50 SMA!

Does anyone know of a Swing indicator for NT that can be computed in this manner? I have searched for weeks and all Swing indicators I've found fro NT are based on "Strength"

Can ANYONE help me with this? or

Can ANYONE help me figure out how to modify/rewrite the current standard Swing indicator here so it's based on a cross of a MA instead of Strenght?

Thanks and Any & All comments or suggestions are welcome & Very Much Appreciated.

Attached Files

Originally posted by BryanGriggs View Post
    Hello All,

I'm looking for a Swing Indicator that is not defined by Strength or # of Bars!
    Does anyone know of any Swing indicator that is Not Plotted in this manner?
    How is that even possible? A Swing involves having a highest or lowest point. How can you determine that if you do not specify the number of bars over which to validate? That means a minimum of 3 bars, conceivably 2.
    I would like if it can be plotted or defined based on Swings above or below say
    a 50 SMA. If your looking at Swings above or below the 50SMA, How many Strength or Bars is that? That's my point! If the swings could be plotted according to crossing of the 50 SMA, then we would have true Swing Highs and Lows Above and Below the 50 SMA!
    A cross of a moving average is just a cross. There is no ability to determine how long it will last. Are you saying that the Swing should only be validated after a cross in the opposite direction, no matter how many bars that takes?
    Does anyone know of a Swing indicator for NT that can be computed in this manner? I have searched for weeks and all Swing indicators I've found fro NT are based on "Strength"

Can ANYONE help me with this? or

Can ANYONE help me figure out how to modify/rewrite the current standard Swing indicator here so it's based on a cross of a MA instead of Strenght?
    You will have to be much more precise in defining the conditions that constitute a swing, to your manner of thinking. This description is somewhat too nebulous; maybe even contradictory in parts.
    Thanks and Any & All comments or suggestions are welcome & Very Much Appreciated.

Comment

koganam,

First, Thank you so much for even responding!

Yes, you hit the nail on the head!

"The Swing would not be validated unless price has closed or crossed the MA."

This would give you valid swings above and below a MA instead of a bunch of swings that don't matter if your only looking for swings above & below the 50 SMA.

If your looking at a Daily or Weekly Chart, Can you see how the picture would be different?

I hope this helps make it clearer.

Thanks again for your thoughts/Input.

Comment

koganam,

This would give you valid swings above and below a MA instead of a bunch of swings that don't matter if your only looking for swings above & below the 50 SMA.

If your looking at a Daily or Weekly Chart, Can you see how the picture would be different?

An excellent point.
        I will consider this in my swing indicator developing (in the future)

Thanks for the point.
        Pi
        ninZa
        NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - ninZa.co

Comment

koganam,

Let me play devil's advocate here.

Assume that we cross over the SMA(50), then one hundred bars later we cross back down through the SMA(50). You are saying that only then is the Swing valid?

What then do you want marked as the Swing point? The highest value between those crosses, even though it may have occurred conceivably 99 bars back from when the cross-down validated the swing? Let us just use a symmetrical count, and say that it is 50 bars ago. Of what use is the data then? Why would I even want to know of a swing that occurred 50 bars ago? In any case, how do you want the swing marked? That is the real question.

Of course, if I am reading your requirement right, you are also saying that even though the price may have deeply zigged and zagged all over the place while still above the SMA(50), all those gyrations are invalid as swing points?
          Last edited by koganam; 12-20-2014, 08:28 AM.

Comment

koganam,

Why would I even want to know of a swing that occurred 50 bars ago?
            I'm not saying that you would but it's obvious that some traders would find this useful!
            An excellent point.
            I will consider this in my swing indicator developing (in the future)

Thanks for the point.
            Pi
            The point of this thread was not to get into the whole whys & depth of how it would be used but, about if anyone is using an indicator like this or how can this be coded. Again, I put out here, If ANYONE on this Forum thinks they can help me with this, Please step forward.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words so for koganam & critics a like, plz see attached images. One is Daily while the other is 233t. Note, so no one can say I selectively choose the image, all data is current info.

Again, the images here are for example only and do not reflect all traders!!!
            If you do not understand & find the images of no use, then so be it.

For you who understand the images & think you can help, again ,plz step forward!
            All comments are welcome or suggestions are welcome!
            Attached Files
            Last edited by BryanGriggs; 12-22-2014, 11:42 AM.

Comment

koganam,

I'm not saying that you would but it's obvious that some traders would find this useful!
              The point of this thread was not to get into the whole whys & depth of how it would be used but, about if anyone is using an indicator like this or how can this be coded. Again, I put out here, If ANYONE on this Forum thinks they can help me with this, Please step forward.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words so for koganam & critics a like, plz see attached images. One is Daily while the other is 233t. Note, so no one can say I selectively choose the image, all data is current info.

Again, the images here are for example only and do not reflect all traders!!!
              If you do not understand & find the images of no use, then so be it.

For you who understand the images & think you can help, again ,plz step forward!
              All comments are welcome or suggestions are welcome!
              Oh, it can certainly be programmed: that is hardly an issue.

In fact, after seeing your pictures, I might take a crack at programming it myself.

Comment

Wow,

That would be awesome!
                I'm Glad the pictures helped explain.
                I have a partial code that works but I'm missing something to make it exact. If I sent you the file via PM, would you be willing to take a look at it?

Comment

Wow,

That would be awesome!
                  I'm Glad the pictures helped explain.
                  I have a partial code that works but I'm missing something to make it exact. If I sent you the file via PM, would you be willing to take a look at it?
                  Sure. I can take a look.

Comment

koganam,

First understand, I am just learning to code so assume I know nothing. This is a mess I know! It was/is a work in progress with me trying to weave my way through it.
                    The Swings work but I need to set a data series or plot to only mark the highest point of each Swing like in the images. My initial's are BAG so that's what I used. When you open the file, don't beat me down to bad & just remember, if I knew what I was doing, I probably wouldn't be here.
                    Thanks so much for your help.
                    Last edited by BryanGriggs; 12-23-2014, 04:34 PM.

Comment

koganam,

One other note, there needs to be what I call white space to define a cross. Meaning that if candles are touching the MA one after another, this is not a cross until we get candles with white space between the candle and the MA.
                      Thx

Comment

koganam,

One other note, there needs to be what I call white space to define a cross. Meaning that if candles are touching the MA one after another, this is not a cross until we get candles with white space between the candle and the MA.
                        Thx
                        I define crosses only on a closing basis, so there is no dispute. Previous bar close on one side: this bar on the other side equals a cross.

Comment

That portion of the code wasn't really an issue in my mind anyway. That was just a side note. The issue with the code was to get it to only display the highest point of the cross like shown in the images.
                          Thanks

Comment

koganam,

After seeing the file, What are your thoughts on how I can get it to plot the highest & lowest points above and below instead of the plotting as it is now?
                            Thanks

Comment

Just curious. What do the green and orange dots represent in your screenshots, Bryan?

Thanks.
                              Pi
                              ninZa
                              NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - ninZa.co

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by DavidHP, Today, 07:56 AM
                              1 response
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_Erick