Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Copy an Indicator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copy an Indicator

I've got an indicator that is running as designed. I'd like to make a copy of it, change the name, and make some minor modifications to create a new indicator. I can't seem to figure out how to do that. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
    Paul

Hi Lambo,

Open up the indicator in the NinjaScript Editor. Right click and then click "Save As". Type in a new name and it will make a new copy.
    Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

When I do that and change all instances of the old name to the new name in the code and then compile, I get an error "The namespace NinjaTrader Indicator" already contains a definition for "Old Indicator Name".

code CS0101

Thanks,
      Lambo

Comment

You don't need to manually change anything. Just right click->Save As. Type in a new name and then everything is done.

Comment

It doesn't work. I get the error message. I just don't know how to proceed now.

Comment

You got to delete that old one. Name it a different name now. You cant have multiple indicators with the same name.

Comment

Josh, I don't think you understand. First of all I copied the original one and changed the name to a new indicator. I edited out all the old references and changed them to the new indicator name. There should have been nothing left of the old indicator in the new one. The whole idea was to keep the old indicator and creating an entirely new one, which I believe I did.

However, I get that irritating error message which makes no sense.

Paul

Comment

Paul,

The error means you have 2 definitions for the same name. You need to remove one of them before it will compile. Do this. Delete your "new indicator". Hit F5 to Compile. Your old indicator should have no problem compiling. Then open your old indicator and right click -> save as. Type in a new name. Do NOT edit anything. Just hit F5 to compile now. You do not need to change anything in your indicator to create a new copy.

If you still have difficulties you can send me both the old and the new indicators to my email and I will take a look in fixing it up for you. I suspect it may be something you edit that may be causing conflicts.

josh.peng [at] ninjatrader (dot] com.
                Last edited by NinjaTrader_JoshP; 09-07-2008, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Josh, I found the problem. Evidently copies of the original indicator were still in the NT directories. I got rid of all of them except for one which was stashed in ...\NinjaTrader 6.5\bin\Custom. I then went back and compiled the new indicator and it finally worked. The error message it was giving me had nothing to do with what I was currently compiling, but instead was stating that it was unhappy that there was an unresolved problem elsewhere. That doesn't seem very intuitive to me. Oh well, I'm glad I finally got it to work.

Thanks for your help and patience,

Paul

Comment

Paul,

Great! Glad you got it fixed. Basically NinjaTrader needs all NinjaScript files to be free of error before it can compile.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by sidlercom80, 10-28-2023, 08:49 AM
                    168 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post sidlercom80  
                    Started by Barry Milan, Yesterday, 10:35 PM
                    3 responses
                    0 likes