Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Strategies disappear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strategies disappear

Guys-

I have run into this problem more times than I can remember, and I'd like to know what's going on:

Strategies, in the strategies tab, can regularly disappear (be overwritten? Erased? who knows).

Recently, I removed all of my strategies and saved the workspace as "EmptyStrategy" workspace. I did this to get around another limitation of NinjaTrader, which is that you need to remove strategies from the strategy tab in order to remove associated executions.

After doing this (removing my strategies and removing my executions), I exited NT, saving my "Empty Strategy" workspace.

When I re-loaded NT, I proceeded to load up my original workspace with all my strategies and - guess what - they're all gone. I went to load up my backup workspace (I always make backups because this is not an infrequent occurance) and THEY were all gone as well (even though the file never indicated that it was changed, etc).

I cannot find my strategies anywhere. They are literally gone. Right now, I'm praying that they're still in the backup I created Saturday night, but right now I fear everything is gone.

Guys, why do strategies disappear from the strategies tab?

Hello luigiabsh1972,

Thanks for your post.

Please keep in mind that strategies are saved in the database file. The workspace will have a strategy ID associated with a chart if the strategy is applied to a chart. If we close a chart that has a strategy applied to it, it will be delisted from the Strategies tab and will also be removed as a configured strategy in the database file. If we have removed the strategies, we would have removed them from the configured strategies in the database.

I would suggest the following procedure:

1. Set up strategies on your charts in your workspace
    2. Save the workspace
    3. Create a new workspace called "Empty Strategies"
    4. Then save the workspace.
    5. Test closing the workspace that has the strategies applied. We should see the strategies will be delisted, but they would still be configured in the database.
    6. Test opening your original workspace, we should be met with the strategies again, because they have not been removed.

I did this to get around another limitation of NinjaTrader, which is that you need to remove strategies from the strategy tab in order to remove associated executions.
    I'm not quite sure on the limitation you are referring to, could you clarify? Executions are stored in the database, and we will still see daily executions that were made by the strategy in the Executions tab of the Control Center.

Could you attach a screenshot to show me?

To send a screenshot with Windows 7 or newer I would recommend using the Windows Snipping Tool.

Click here for instructions

Alternatively to send a screenshot press Alt + PRINT SCREEN to take a screenshot of the selected window. Then go to Start--> Accessories--> Paint, and press CTRL + V to paste the image. Lastly, save as a jpeg file and send the file as an attachment.

Click here for detailed instruction

We look forward to assisting.
    JimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by r68cervera, Today, 05:29 AM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post r68cervera  
    Started by geddyisodin, Today, 05:20 AM