Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

problem with calculating average daily range

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

problem with calculating average daily range

The code below:

Code:
    // Calculate the range of the average daily range over the past day.
    AverageDailyRange.Set(CurrentDayOHL().CurrentHigh[0] - CurrentDayOHL().CurrentLow[0]);
    Code:
    // Print the current SMA 7 period Average Daily Range .
    DrawTextFixed("AverageDailyRange1", "Average Daily Range: " + Instrument.MasterInstrument.Round2TickSize(SMA(AverageDailyRange, 7)[0]), TextPosition.TopLeft, Color.Black, new Font("Arial", 8), Color.Transparent, Color.Transparent, 1);
    ---

Is there a different way just to calculate the average daily range from the days high to the days low for the past 7 days (market hours only)? I seemed to be getting skewed numbers when I check it out against manually calculated figures over the daily high to daily low on my charts over the past 7 days. I am using tick charts if that helps... I need it to be dynamic so that it is not spitting out a fixed number each session, it needs to change as the market moves taking in the current days high and low as well (when they are made)..
    Last edited by ericadam; 10-21-2008, 11:13 AM.

Hi ericadam,

The reason your code is skewed is because you are referencing a period of 7 for your Average Daily Range. Unfortunately that period of 7 is not 7 days it just 7 bars. In your case, 7 tick bars.

To get what you want you need to run calculations via PriorDayOHLC() and get the range of the 6 prior days. Then use CurrentDayOHL() to get the current day's range. When you are using PriorDayOHLC() you need to go many many bars back in your [] index to check for those. You will want to use GetBar() to figure out what index to use for each of the 7 days. Hope that help.
    Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

So there is no 'easy' way to reference the average of calculating the day high - day low over the past 7 days, and then having that number print? I came from another charting package where you just put in (DailyRange, 7) for a 7 days daily range average.. could the logic be that simple?

Comment

It will be that simple in NT7 when we introduce multi-time framed indicators, but for now you will need to proceed with something along the lines of what I suggested in my previous post.

Comment

Ah okay. phew.. when is NT 7 slated for release?

Comment

NinjaTrader 7 is slotted for the first half of 2009.

Comment

7 day average daily range w/ minute charts

any way of programming this in the stratgey wizard?
              Thks Bert

Comment

Unfortunately not.
                RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I'm also looking for this indicator. To use for profit target and stop loss.

Comment

You can always contact a NinjaScript consultant to get this custom coded professionally - http://www.ninjatrader.com/webnew/pa...injaScript.htm
                    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by Ninja B View Post
                      I'm also looking for this indicator. To use for profit target and stop loss.
                      I found a solution. Go to help, search "Custom indicator Development", clk "display", clk "Custom Indicator Development" (in blue in the right side big box), clk on level 2 & follow instructions substituting range for volume in the wizard. If I can do it you can. On the chart properties window of the chart using SMA of Range I activate the "exclude weekends" option. Weekend range is really low & skews the results. For daily range I use this on a 405 minute chart. A Zen-fire work around since they don't supply daily data.
                      Cheers, Bert
                      Last edited by BertW; 02-13-2009, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by usazencort, Today, 01:16 AM
                      0 responses
                      1 view
                      0 likes
                      Last Post usazencort  
                      Started by kaywai, 09-01-2023, 08:44 PM
                      5 responses
                      0 likes