Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Newbie Code Help --- ATR Multiple for Stop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie Code Help --- ATR Multiple for Stop

I'm new to NT, and fairly new to programming and have never used C#. Once a buy/sell condition has been met, I'm trying to write the code to set my stop and profit target correctly based on a multiple of the most recent ATR. It doesn't have to adjust the stops (i.e. dynamically modify the stop levels as each subsequent bar comes in) after the original buy/sell order has been filled. Rather, right when the buy/sell order is generated it needs to look back at the last 'x' amount of bars (25 in the code below) to calculate the most recent ATR, multiply it, and then set both the stop and profit limit orders accordingly.

My feeble attempt at this is below (only the main sections of the code included), and I'm getting the CS0102 error saying for the properties section saying that Variable0 and 1 are already defined. If I comment out the 'properties' code, I get CS0019 saying I can't apply an operand '*' to type 'int' and 'Ninjatrader.Indicator.ATR'.

Guidance here would be appreciated...Thanks,

KCSystemTrader

#region Variables section...

private int period1 = 25; // Default setting for Period1
    private double Variable0 = 0.500; // Default ATR for stop loss
    private double Variable1 = 1.000; // Default ATR for take profit

protected override void Initialize() Section...

//Custom code to calculate latest ATR reading and set stop and profit target levels
    Add(ATR(Period1)); //This adds the ATR to the chart (I think)
    Variable0 = 3 * ATR(Period1);
    Variable1 = 6 * ATR(Period1);

//Plug Variable0 and Variable1 calculations into stop and profit target
    SetStopLoss("Buy", CalculationMode.Ticks, Variable0, true);
    SetStopLoss("Sell", CalculationMode.Ticks, Variable0, true);
    SetProfitTarget("Buy", CalculationMode.Ticks, Variable1);
    SetProfitTarget("Sell", CalculationMode.Ticks, Variable1);

#region Properties Section...

//Custom Code to define minimum allowable values for Variable0 and Variable1
    [Description("ATR For Stop Loss")]
    [Category("Parameters")]
    public double Variable0
    {
    get { return Variable0; }
    set { Variable0 = Math.Max(0.200, value); }
    }

[Description("ATR For Take Profit")]
    [Category("Parameters")]
    public double Variable1
    {
    get { return Variable1; }
    set { Variable1 = Math.Max(0.400, value); }
    }

You cannot do any calculation logic in Initialize(). Everything you want to do needs to be done in OnBarUpdate(). You need to calculate out your ATR value before you submit your entry order.
    Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

trail stop not getting set

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Josh View Post
      You cannot do any calculation logic in Initialize(). Everything you want to do needs to be done in OnBarUpdate(). You need to calculate out your ATR value before you submit your entry order.
      Thanks. That makes sense. So I moved the calc logic into the OnBarUpdate section and am now trying to use a boolean 'defined' to only set it once. I got this from another related post. Here's the logic...

//Set Trailing Stop based on ATR Multiple
      if (Defined == false)
      {
      TrailStop = ((ATR(Period1)[1] * ATRMultiple));
      if (TrailStop < MinimumTrailStop)
      {
      TrailStop = MinimumTrailStop;
      }
      SetTrailStop("Buy", CalculationMode.Price, TrailStop, true);
      SetTrailStop("Sell", CalculationMode.Price, TrailStop, true);
      Defined = true;
      }

Period1 is a defined int and MinimumTrailStop is a defined double. The code compiles but when I run the strategy a trailstop isn't getting set at all. It just buys/sells and then eventually closes itself out when another buy/sell condition is met. In the variables, I have

bool Defined = false;

Do I need to reset this to false if I have a flat position or something? How do I do that? Thanks,

kcsystemtrader

Comment

Hi kcsystemtrader, yes you want it to reset, otherwise it will not make it through the trailstop section again...please also take a look at this reference sample - http://www.ninjatrader-support2.com/...ead.php?t=3222
        BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Bertrand View Post
          Hi kcsystemtrader, yes you want it to reset, otherwise it will not make it through the trailstop section again...please also take a look at this reference sample - http://www.ninjatrader-support2.com/...ead.php?t=3222

So how do I do that? Do I set a reset based on my position being back to flat or something? I don't really know how to code that. Been programming for about 4 days now. Thanks,

Comment

Bert will follow up on Monday.
            RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Ray View Post
              Bert will follow up on Monday.
              Okay, thanks. I guess what I need help with is the following:

If a position that was opened by the strategy is closed, then reset the bool "defined" back to false. Or, stated another way, upon any new position being opened by the strategy, reset the bool back to false so that it will run the trail stop code again.

So that could either be based on a "if market position = flat", or "if trail stop order = filled", or there are probably quite a few other ways you could code it too. Thanks again,

kcsystemtrader

Comment

Hi kcsystemtrader,
                To reset your bool variable when the strategy is flat you could use -

Code:
                if (Position.MarketPosition == MarketPosition.Flat)
                Defined = false;

Comment

Calculation On Indicator

I'm still having trouble here. I still haven't figured out how to run a calculation on an indicator that is dynamically updating. See below. I can see the "ATRvalue" updating in the output window, but I see nothing in the output window for "TrailStop".

ATRvalue = ATR(120)[0];
                  Print("The current ATR value is " + ATRvalue.ToString());

TrailStop = ATRvalue * 2;
                  Print("The current TrailStop value is " + TrailStop.ToString());

SetTrailStop("", CalculationMode.Price, TrailStop, false);

Once I can at least be sure I'm getting a value for TrailStop, I'll move on to making sure it is getting reset properly with the "Defined" boolean as discussed below based on position being flat. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by kcsystemtrader View Post
                    I'm still having trouble here. I still haven't figured out how to run a calculation on an indicator that is dynamically updating. See below. I can see the "ATRvalue" updating in the output window, but I see nothing in the output window for "TrailStop".

ATRvalue = ATR(120)[0];

TrailStop = ATRvalue * 2;

SetTrailStop("", CalculationMode.Price, TrailStop, false);

Once I can at least be sure I'm getting a value for TrailStop, I'll move on to making sure it is getting reset properly with the "Defined" boolean as discussed below based on position being flat. Thanks

Figured out what was wrong --- I didn't have an Add(ATR(120)); up in the intialize method. Didn't know that was required in order to reference an indicator in OnBarUpdate(). Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by kcsystemtrader View Post
                      Figured out what was wrong --- I didn't have an Add(ATR(120)); up in the intialize method. Didn't know that was required in order to reference an indicator in OnBarUpdate(). Thanks,
                      It's not however, if this has resolved your issue then just leave as is.
                      RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Ray View Post
                        It's not however, if this has resolved your issue then just leave as is.
                        Ha - okay...I was making a lot of changes at the time so I probably changed something else that fixed it without realizing it. Either way, it's working now as far as I can tell from testing in real-time (at least I can see the 'TrailStop' continuously calculating along with 'ATRvalue'. However, in backtesting it still doesn't appear trailstop orders are getting simulated.

I don't think it is a reset problem because it just looks like it is never getting set.

Comment

Hi kcsystemtrader, great it works now - are you using SetTrailStop together with SetStopLoss and reference the same position? This cannot be done, please see this help guide link - http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...TrailStop.html

For modifying your stoploss orders, you may want to review this reference sample here - http://www.ninjatrader-support2.com/...ead.php?t=3222

Have a good weekend!

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Bertrand View Post
                            Hi kcsystemtrader, great it works now - are you using SetTrailStop together with SetStopLoss and reference the same position? This cannot be done, please see this help guide link - http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...TrailStop.html

For modifying your stoploss orders, you may want to review this reference sample here - http://www.ninjatrader-support2.com/...ead.php?t=3222

Have a good weekend!
                            No, there is only a SetTrailStop, there isn't a SetStopLoss in the code.

The problem now is that I have the reset working and the calculation logic working right, but trail stop orders are not being generated. Nothing on the orders tab or in the log. With TraceOrders on, I am seeing the following in the output window:

The current ATR value is 0.292274060645679
                            The current TrailStop value is 0.876822181937038
                            1/5/2009 9:03:58 AM Entered internal SetStopTarget() method: Type=TrailStop FromEntrySignal='Buy' Mode=Price Value=0.876822181937038 Currency=0 Simulated=False
                            1/5/2009 9:03:58 AM Entered internal SetStopTarget() method: Type=TrailStop FromEntrySignal='Sell' Mode=Price Value=0.876822181937038 Currency=0 Simulated=False
                            The current value for BarsSinceExit is 337

What does "Entered internal SetStopTarget" mean, and why wouldn't it be an "external" trailing stop order that is sent immediately to the market? As you can see in the trace, I do have Simulated = False.

Here is the latest code:
                            //Reset upon going flat
                            if (Position.MarketPosition == MarketPosition.Flat)
                            definedTrailStop = false;

// Calculations For Stop Loss
                            if (definedTrailStop == false)
                            {
                            // Prints the current value of an 'x' period ATR using default price type
                            ATRvalue = ATR(ATRPeriod)[0];
                            // Multiply ATRvalue by ATRMultiple and Set TrailStop
                            TrailStop = ATRvalue * ATRMultiple;
                            if (TrailStop < MinimumTrailStop)
                            {
                            TrailStop = MinimumTrailStop;
                            }
                            definedTrailStop = true;
                            }

//Send trailing stop order to market with last calculated TrailStop
                            SetTrailStop("Buy", CalculationMode.Price, TrailStop, false);
                            SetTrailStop("Sell", CalculationMode.Price, TrailStop, false);

//Buy and Sell Conditions here

I originally had the SetTrailStop up in the brackets in the ATR calculation logic section, but figured since this logic stops running once a position is entered that maybe the SetTrailStop command would not be seen. So, now it outside of that section of the logic and it is running the SetTrailStop code every update while in a position (and not updating the trailstop price), but still there are no trailing stop orders actually being placed. I've tested real time and it blows right through the stops. Thanks,

kcsystemtrader

Comment

You need to call SetTrailStop before you place your order. After that you should not call it again. It will trail on its own tick by tick. From your code it looks like you are trying to use your own trailing logic and in that case you should not be using SetTrailStop. You should be using ExitLongStop() and just modify that order constantly.
                              Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by lorem, Yesterday, 09:18 AM
                              4 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post lorem
                              by lorem

Started by Spiderbird, Today, 12:15 PM
                              0 responses